- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Integrating OpenSees with other software - with application to coupling problems in civil engineering
- Gu, Quan (Department of Civil Engineering, School of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Xiamen University) ;
- Ozcelik, Ozgur (Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Received : 2010.10.17
- Accepted : 2011.06.24
- Published : 2011.10.10
Integration of finite element analysis (FEA) software into various software platforms is commonly used in coupling systems such as systems involving structural control, fluid-structure, wind-structure, soil-structure interactions and substructure method in which FEA is used for simulating the structural responses. Integrating an FEA program into various other software platforms in an efficient and simple way is crucial for the development and performance of the entire coupling system. The lack of simplicity of the existing integration methods makes this integration difficult and therefore entails the motivation of this study. In this paper, a novel practical technique, namely CS technique, is presented for integrating a general FEA software framework OpenSees into other software platforms, e.g., Matlab-
Supported by : Central Universities of China
- Barbato, M. and Conte, J.P. (2006), "Finite element structural response sensitivity and reliability analyses using smooth versus non-smooth material constitutive models", Int. J. Reliab. Saf., 1, 3-39. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJRS.2006.010688
- Cattarius, J. (1999), "Numerical wing/store interaction analysis of a parametric F16 wing", Ph.D. Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Cook, R.D., Malkus, D.S., Plesha, M.E. and Witt, R.J. (2001), Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., NY.
- Conte, J.P. and Trombetti, T.L. (2000), "Linear dynamic modeling of a uni-axial servo-hydraulic shaking table system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 29(9), 1375-1404. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200009)29:9<1375::AID-EQE975>3.0.CO;2-3
- Cowart, C., Hubbard, P., Miller, L. and Crawford, G. (2007), NHCP Reference Implementation and Protocol Reference Guide, Version 1.0, NEES Cyber-Infrastructure Center, University of California, San Diego.
- Crewe, A.J. and Severn, R.T. (2001), "The European collaborative programme on evaluating the performance of shaking tables", Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond A, 359, 1671-1696. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2001.0861
- Dabney, J. and Harman, T.L. (2004), Mastering Simulink, Pearson/Prentice Hall, NJ.
- Dyke, S.J., Spencer, B.J., Quast, P. and Sain, M.K. (1995), "Role of control-structure interaction in protective system design", J. Eng. Mech., 121(2), 322-338. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1995)121:2(322)
- Elnashai, A., Spencer, B., Kuchma, D., Ghaboussi, J., Hashash, Y. and Gan, Q. (2004), "Multi-axial full-scale sub-structured testing and simulation (must-sim) facility at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign", Proceeding of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- Filippou, F.C., Popov, E.P. and Bertero, V.V. (1983), Effects of Bond Deterioration on Hysteretic Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Joints, Report EERC 83-19, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley.
- Gawronski, W.K. (1998), Advanced Structural Dynamics and Active Control of Structures, Springer-Verlag, NY.
- Hildebrand, F.B. (1974), Introduction to Numerical Analysis, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill, NY.
- Kwon, O.S., Nakata, N., Elnashai, A.S. and Spencer, B.A. (2005), "Framework for multi-site distributed simulation and application to complex structural systems", J. Earthq. Eng., 9(5), 741-753.
- Luco, J.E. (1980), Seismic Safety Margins Research Program, Linear Soil-structure Interaction, Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, California, UCRL-15272.
- Luco, J.E. and Apsel, R.J. (1983), "On the green's functions for a layered half-space: Part I", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 73, 909-929.
- Luco, J.E. and Mita, A. (1987), "Responses of the circular foundation on a uniform half-space to elastic waves", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 15, 105-118. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290150108
- Luco, J.E. (2005), Soil-Structure Interaction: Class Notes, University of California San Diego.
- Luco, J.E., Ozcelik, O. and Conte, J.P. (2010), "Acceleration tracking performance of the NEES-UCSD shake table", J. Struct. Eng., 136(5), 481-490. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000137
- McKenna, F. (1997), "Object-oriented finite element programming: frameworks for analysis, algorithms and parallel computing", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- McKenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Takahashi, Y. (2004), "An object-oriented software environment for collaborative network simulation", Proceeding of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- McKenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Fenves, G.L. (2010), "Nonlinear finite element analysis software architecture using object composition", J. Comput. Civil Eng., 24(1), 95-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000002
- Mita, A. and Luco, J.E. (1989), "Impedance functions and input motions for embedded square foundations", J Geotech. Eng., 115(4), 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1989)115:4(491)
- Ozcelik, O. (2008), "A mechanics-based virtual model of NEES-UCSD shake table: theoretical development and experimental validation", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, San Diego.
- Ozcelik, O., Luco, J.E., Conte, J.P., Trombetti, T.L. and Restrepo, J.I. (2008), "Experimental characterization, modeling and identification of the UCSD-NEES shake table mechanical system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37, 243-264. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.754
- Ozcelik, O., Luco, J.E. and Conte, J.P. (2008), "Identification of the mechanical subsystem of the NEES-UCSD shake table by a least-square approach", J. Eng. Mech., 134(1), 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2008)134:1(23)
- Ozcelik, O., Conte, J.P. and Luco, E.J. (2006), "Virtual model of the NEES-UCSD high performance outdoor shake table", Proceeding of the 4th World Conference on the Structural Control and Monitoring, San Diego, July.
- Paidoussis, M.P. (2004), Fluid-structure Interactions, Slender Structures and Axial Flow, Vol. 2, Elsevier Academic Press.
- Pan, P., Tomofuji, H., Wang, T., Nakashima, M., Ohsaki, M. and Mosalam, K.M. (2006), "Development of peerto-peer (p2p) internet online hybrid test system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35, 867-890. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.561
- Panagiotou, M.P. and Restrepo, J. (2007), Computational Model for the UCSD 7-story Structural Wall Building Slice, Report SSRP-07/09, University of California, San Diego.
- Peng, J. and Law, K.H. (2002), "A prototype software framework for internet-enabled collaborative development of a structural analysis program", Eng. Comput., 18, 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003660200003
- Peng, J. and Law, K.H. (2004), "Building finite element analysis programs in distributed services environment", Comput. Struct., 82, 1813-1833. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.03.056
- Safak, E. (2006), "Time-domain representation of frequency-dependent foundation impedance functions", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 26, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2005.08.004
- Schellenberg, A., Mahin, S. and Fenves, G.L. (2006), "Software framework for hybrid simulation of large structural systems", Proceedings Structures Congress, ASCE, Long Beach.
- Scott, M.H. and Haukaas, T. (2008), "Software framework for parameter updating and finite element response sensitivity analysis", J. Comput. Civil Eng., 22(5), 281-291. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(2008)22:5(281)
- Shortreed, J.S., Seible, F., Filiatrault, A. and Benzoni, G. (2001), "Characterization and testing of the caltrans seismic response modification device test system", Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A, 359, 1829-1850. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2001.0875
- Sieffert, J.G. and Cevaer, F. (1991), Handbook of Impedance Functions, France Quest Editions, Presses Academiques, Paris.
- Thoen, B.K. and Laplace, P.N. (2004), "Offline tuning of shaking table", Proceeding of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- Thoen, B.K. (2004), 469D Seismic Digital Control Software, MTS Corporation, MN.
- Trombetti, T.L. and Conte, J.P. (2002), "Shaking table dynamics: results from a test analysis comparison study", J. Earthq. Eng., 6(4), 513-551.
- Welch, B.B. (2000), Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall Inc., NJ.
- Williams, D.M., Williams, M.S. and Blakeborough, A. (2001), "Numerical modeling of a servohydraulic testing system for structures", J. Eng. Mech., 127(8), 816-827. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2001)127:8(816)
- Yoshikazu, T. and Fenves, G.L. (2006), "Software framework for distributed experimental-computational simulation of structural systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35, 267-291. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.518
- Experimental identification of the six DOF C.G.S., Algeria, shaking table system vol.13, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.13.1.137
- A practical numerical substructure method for seismic nonlinear analysis of tall building structures vol.26, pp.16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1377
- Development of Collaborative Structure Analysis (CSA) System and Its Application to Investigate Effects of Soil-Structure Interaction vol.18, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2014.946162
- Investigation on the performance of the six DOF C.G.S., Algeria, shaking table vol.6, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.5.539