- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A note on buckling and vibration of clamped orthotropic plates under in-plane loads
- Felix, D.H. (Department of Engineering, Institute of Applied Mechanics (IMA), Universidad Nacional del Sur) ;
- Bambill, D.V. (Department of Engineering, Institute of Applied Mechanics (IMA), Universidad Nacional del Sur) ;
- Rossit, C.A. (Department of Engineering, Institute of Applied Mechanics (IMA), Universidad Nacional del Sur)
- Received : 2010.12.06
- Accepted : 2011.03.09
- Published : 2011.07.10
The present work deals with obtaining the critical buckling load and the natural frequencies of clamped, orthotropic, rectangular thin plates subjected to different linear distributed in-plane forces. An analytical solution is proposed. Using the Ritz method, the dependence between in-plane forces and natural frequencies are estimated for various plate sizes, and some results are compared with finite element solutions and where possible, comparison is made with previously published results. Beam functions are used as admissible functions in the Ritz method.
critical buckling;vibration;orthotropic plate;in-plane force;rectangular;clamped;Ritz method
- ALGOR 23.1 (2009), Linear Dynamic Analysis, Algor Inc., Pittsburgh, PA.
- Bassily, S.F. and Dickinson, S.M. (1972), "Buckling and lateral vibration of rectangular plates subjected to inplane loads-a Ritz approach", J. Sound Vib., 24(2), 219-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(72)90951-0
- Dickinson, S.M. (1971), "Lateral vibration of rectangular plates subject to in-plane forces", J. Sound Vib., 16(4) 465-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(71)90656-0
- Dickinson, S.M. (1978), "The buckling and frequency of flexural vibration of rectangular isotropic and orthotropic plates using Rayleigh's method", J. Sound Vib., 61(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(78)90036-6
- Diez, L., Gianetti, C.E. and Laura, P.A.A. (1978), "A note on transverse vibrations of rectangular plates subject to in-plane normal and shear forces", J. Sound Vib., 59(4), 503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(78)80130-8
- Gorman, D.J. (1990), "Accurate free vibration analysis of clamped orthotropic plates by the method of superposition", J. Sound Vib., 237(5), 901-914.
- Kaldas, M.M. and Dickinson, S.M. (1978), "Vibration and buckling calculations for rectangular plates subject to complicated in-plane stress distributions by using numerical integration in a rayleigh-ritz analysis", J. Sound Vib., 75(2), 151-162.
- Leissa, A.W. and Kang, J.H. (2001), "Exact solutions for the free vibrations and buckling of rectangular plates with linearly varying in-plane loading", Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition, New York.
- Leissa, A.W. and Kang, J.H. (2002), "Exact solutions for vibration and buckling of an SS-C-SS-C rectangular plate loaded by linearly varying in-plane stresses", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 44(9), 1925-1945. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(02)00069-3
- Ramadoss, P. and Nagamani, K. (2009), "Behavior of high-strength fiber reinforced concrete plates under inplane and transverse loads", Struct. Eng. Mech., 31(4), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.31.4.371
- Singhatanadgid, P. and Sukajit, P. (2011), "Experimental determination of the buckling load of rectangular plates using vibration correlation technique", Struct. Eng. Mech., 37(3), 331-349. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.37.3.331
- Shi, G. (1990), "Flexural vibration and buckling analysis of orthotropic plates by the boundary element method", Int. J. Solids Struct., 26(12), 1351-1370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(90)90083-8
- Tripathy, B. and Suryanarayan, S. (2008), "Vibration and buckling characteristics of weld-bonded rectangular plates using the flexibility function approach", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 50, 1486-1498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2008.08.005
- Wang, X., Gan, L. and Wang, Y. (2006), "A differential quadrature analysis of vibration and buckling of an SS-C-SS-C rectangular plate loaded by linearly varying in-plane stresses", J. Sound Vib., 298(1-2), 420- 431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.06.003
- Xiang, Y. and Wang, C.M. (2002), "Exact buckling and vibration solutions for stepped rectangular plates", J. Sound Vib., 250(3), 503-517. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.3922
- Xiang, Y. and Wei, G.W. (2004), "Exact solutions for buckling and vibration of stepped rectangular Mindlin plates", Int. J. Solids Struct., 41, 279-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2003.09.007
- Coupling between Transverse Vibrations and Instability Phenomena of Plates Subjected to In-Plane Loading vol.2013, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/937596
- Buckling of symmetrically laminated quasi-isotropic thin rectangular plates vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.305
- Buckling and vibration of rectangular plates of variable thickness with different end conditions by finite difference technique vol.46, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.2.269
- Buckling analysis in hybrid cross-ply composite laminates on elastic foundation using the two variable refined plate theory vol.55, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.1.047
- A new method for free vibration and buckling analysis of rectangular orthotropic plates vol.339, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2014.11.007
- Effects of constraint, circular cutout and in-plane loading on vibration of rectangular plates vol.68, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.01.005