- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Linear buckling analysis of welded girder webs with variable thickness
- Maiorana, Emanuele (Department of Structural and Transportation Engineering, University of Padova) ;
- Pellegrino, Carlo (Department of Structural and Transportation Engineering, University of Padova)
- Received : 2009.12.22
- Accepted : 2011.10.12
- Published : 2011.11.25
Steel girder web panels have been subjected in recent decades, to a number of experimental and numerical studies but the mechanisms that regulate the behaviour of the panels composed by two subpanels with different thickness were not deeply studied. Furthermore specific design rules regarding the estimation of the buckling coefficient for panels with variable thickness are not included in the codes even if this is a common situation particularly for steel bridge girders with beams having significant height. In this framework,this work aims to investigate buckling behaviour of steel beams with webs composed of panels with different thicknesses subjected to both in-plane axial compression and bending moment and gives some simplified equations for the estimation of the buckling coefficient.
stability;steel panel;linear buckling;design
- Alinia, M. M. (2005), "A study into optimization of stiffeners in plates subjected to shear loading", Thin-Walled Structures, 43(5), 845-860. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2004.10.008
- Alinia, M. M. and Dastfan, M. (2006), "Behaviour of thin steel plate shear walls regarding frame members", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62(7), 730-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.007
- Azhari, M., Shahidi, A.R. and Saadatpour, M.M. (2005), "Local and post local buckling of stepped and perforated thin plates", Applied Mathematical Models, 29(7), 633-652. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2004.10.004
- Chatterjee, S. (2003) The Design of Modern Steel Bridges, 2nd ed., ISBN: 0632055111, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Cheng, C. J. and Fan, X.J. (2001), "Nonlinear mathematical theory of perforated viscoelastic thin plates with its applications", International Journal of Solids and Structures, 38(36), 6627-6641. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(00)00412-1
- El-Sawy, K. M., Nazmy, A. S. and Mohammad, I. M. (2004), "Elasto plastic buckling of perforated plates under uniaxial compression", Thin-Walled Structures, 42(8), 1083-1101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2004.03.002
- El-Sawy, K.M. and Ikbal Martini, M. (2007), "Elastic stability of bi-axially loaded rectangular plates with a single circular hole", Thin-Walled Structures, 45(1), 122-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.11.002
- EN 1993-1-5 (2007), "Eurocode 3. Design of steel structures. Part 1-5: Stiffened plating subjected to in plane loading", CEN European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- G. D Computing (2005), Straus7 user's manual, Sydney, Australia.
- Graciano, C. and Casanova, E. (2005), "Ultimate strength of longitudinally stiffened I-girder webs subjected to combined patch loading and bending", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 61(1), 93-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.07.006
- Granath, P. and Lagerqvist, O. (1999), "Behaviour of girder webs subjected to patch loading", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 50(1), 49-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00240-5
- Gugole, S. (2009), "Stabilità di pannelli d'anima con spessore variabile" (in italian), Master thesis, University of Padova.
- Komur, M.A. and Sonmez. M. (2008), "Elastic buckling of rectangular plates under linearly varying in-plane normal load with a circular cutout", Mechanics Research Communications, 35, 361-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2008.01.005
- Lee, S.C., Yoo, C.H. and Yoon D.Y. (2002), "Behaviour of intermediate transverse stiffeners attached on web panels", Journal of Structural Engineering, Transactions of ASCE 128(3), 337-345. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:3(337)
- Lian, V.T. and Shanmugam N.E. (2003), "Openings in horizontally curved plate girder webs", Thin-Walled Structures, 41(2-3), 245-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(02)00090-3
- Maiorana, E., Pellegrino, C. and Modena, C. (2008a), "Linear buckling analysis of unstiffened plates subjected to both patch load and bending moment", Engineering Structures 30(12), 3731-3738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.07.002
- Maiorana, E., Pellegrino, C. and Modena, C. (2008b), "Linear buckling analysis of perforated plates subjected to localised symmetrical load", Engineering Structures 30(11), 3151-3158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.04.024
- Maiorana, E., Pellegrino, C. and Modena, C. (2009a), "Imperfections in steel girder webs with and without perforations under patch loading", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65(5), 1121-1129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.10.007
- Maiorana, E., Pellegrino, C., and Modena, C. (2009b), "Elastic stability of plates with circular and rectangular holes subjected to axial compression and bending moment", Thin-Walled Structures, 47(3), 241-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.08.003
- Maiorana, E., Pellegrino, C., and Modena, C. (2009c), "Non-Linear analysis of perforated steel plates subjected to localised symmetrical load", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65(4), 959-964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.03.018
- Maiorana E., Pellegrino C., Modena C. (2011a), "Influence of longitudinal stiffeners on elastic stability of girder webs", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 67(1), 51-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.07.005
- Maiorana E., Pellegrino C., Modena C. (2011b), "Elasto-plastic behaviour of perforated steel plates subjected to compression and bending", Steel and Composite Structures, 11(2), 131-147. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.2.131
- Maryland, T., Hopperstad, O.S. and Langseth, M. (1999), "Steel girders subjected to concentrated loading. Validation of numerical simulations", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 50, 199-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00248-X
- Paik, J.K. (2007), "Ultimate strength of perforated steel plates under shear loading", Thin-Walled Structures, 45(3), 301-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.02.013
- Pavlovcic, L., Detzel, A., Kuhlmann, U. and Beg, D. (2007), "Shear strength of longitudinally stiffened panels. Part 1: Tests and numerical analysis of imperfections", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 63(3), 337-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.05.008
- Pellegrino, C., Maiorana, E. and Modena, C. (2009), "Linear and non-Linear behaviour of perforated steel plates with circular and rectangular holes under shear loading", Thin-Walled Structures, 47(6-7), 607-616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.11.001
- Ren, T. and Tong, G.S. (2005), "Elastic buckling of web plates in I-girders under patch and wheel loading", Engineering Structures, 27(10), 1528-1536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.05.006
- Sadovsky, Z., Teixeria, A.P. and Guedes Soares, C. (2005), "Degradation of the compressive strength rectangular plates due to initial deflection", Thin-Walled Structures, 43(1), 65-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2004.08.005
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Woinowsky-Krieger, S. (1959), Theory of plates and shells, Mc-Graw-Hill Book Company.
- Xie, M. and Chapman, J.C. (2004), "Design of web stiffeners: local panel bending effects", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 60(10), 1425-1452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.03.001
- Yang, Z., Kim, C., Cho, C. and Beom, H.G. (2008), "The concentration of stress and strain in finite thickness elastic plates containing a circular hole", International Journal of Solids and Structures, 45(3-4), 713-731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.08.030
- Rayleigh-Ritz procedure for determination of the critical load of tapered columns vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.16.1.045