- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Reinforced high-strength concrete square columns confined by aramid FRP jackets -part I: experimental study
- Wang, Yuan-Feng (School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Ma, Yi-Shuo (School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Wu, Han-Liang (Bridge Technology Research Center, Research Institute of Highway, Ministry of Transportation)
- Received : 2010.05.27
- Accepted : 2011.07.19
- Published : 2011.11.25
Although retrofitting and strengthening reinforced concrete (RC) columns by wrapping fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites have become a popular technique in civil engineering, the study on reinforced high-strength concrete (HSC) columns is still not sufficient. The objective of these companion papers is to investigate the mechanical properties of reinforced HSC square columns confined by aramid FRP (AFRP) jackets under concentric compressive loading. In the part I of these companion papers, an experiment was conducted on 54 confined RC specimens and nine unconfined plain specimens, the considered parameters were the concrete strength, the thickness of AFRP jackets, and the form of AFRP wrapping. The experimental process and results are presented in detail. Subsequently, some discussions on the confinement effect, failure modes, strength, and ductility of the columns are carried out.
reinforcement;high-strength concrete (HSC);confined columns;fiber reinforced polymers (FRP);experimentation
- Almusallam, T. H. (2007). "Behavior of normal and high-strength concrete cylinders confined with E-glass/epoxy composite laminates." Compos. Part B: Eng., 38(5), 629-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2006.06.021
- Burgoyne C. and Balafas L. (2007). "Why is FRP not a financial success?" Proceeding of the FRPRCS-8 symposium, Patras.
- Campione, G. (2008). "Analytical model for high-strength concrete columns with square cross-section." Struct. Eng. Mech., 28(3), 295-316. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.28.3.295
- Cheng, H. L., Sotelino, E. D. and Chen, W. F. (2002). "Strength estimation for FRP wrapped reinforced concrete columns.". Steel & Compos. Struct., 2(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2002.2.1.001
- Debaiky, A. S., Green, M. F. and Hope, B. B. (2007). "Modeling of corroded FRP-wrapped reinforced concrete columns in axial compression." J. Compos. Constr., 11(6), 556-564. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2007)11:6(556)
- Hadi, M. N. S. (2007). "The behavior of FRP wrapped HSC columns under different eccentric loads." Compos. Struct., 78(4), 560-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.11.018
- Hassan, M. and Chaalal, O. (2007). "Fiber-reinforced polymer confined rectangular columns: assessment of models and design guidelines." ACI Struct. J., 104(6), 693-702.
- Li, G. Q. (2006). "Experimental study of FRP confined concrete cylinder." Eng. Struct., 28(7), 1001-1008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.11.006
- Mander, J. B., Priestley, J. N. and Park, R. (1988). "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete." J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Restrepo, J. I. and De Vino, B. (1995). "Enhancement of the axial load carrying capacity of reinforced concrete columns by means of fiberglass-epoxy jackets." Proceedings of Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures II, Montreal.
- Tan, K. H. (2002). "Strength enhancement of rectangular reinforced concrete columns using fiber-reinforced polymer." J. Compos. Constr., 6(3), 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2002)6:3(175)
- Tastani. S. P., Pantazopoulou, S. J., Zdoumba, D., Plakantaras, V. and Akritidis, E. (2006). "Limitations of FRP jacketing in confining old-type reinforced concrete members in axial compression." J. Compos. Constr., 10(1), 13-25. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2006)10:1(13)
- Teng, J.G. and Lam, L. (2004). "Behaviour and modeling of FRP-confined concrete: a state-of-the-art review". Proceeding of international symposium of confined concrete (ISCC-2004), Changsha.
- Teng, M. H., Sotelino, E. D. and Chen, W. F.(2003). "Performance evaluation of reinforced concrete bridge columns wrapped with fiber reinforced polymer." J. Compos. Constr., 7(2), 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2003)7:2(83)
- Wang, Y. C. and Hsu, K. (2008). "Design of FRP-wrapped reinforced concrete columns for enhancing axial load carrying capacity." Compos. Struct., 82(1), 132-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2007.04.002
- Wang, Y. F. and Wu, H. L. (2010). "Experimental investigation on square high-strength concrete short columns confined with AFRP sheets." J. Compos. Constr., 14(3), 346-351. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000090
- Wu, G., Wu, Z. S. and Lu, Z. T. (2007). "Design-oriented stress-strain model for concrete prisms confined with FRP composites." Constr. Build. Mater., 21(5), 1107-1121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.12.014
- Wu, H. L. and Wang, Y. F.,(2010). "Experimental study on reinforced high-strength concrete short columns confined with AFRP sheets." Steel. Compos. Struct., 10(6), 501-516. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.6.501
- Wu, H. L., Wang, Y. F., Yu, L. and Li, X. R. (2009). "Experimental and computational studies on high-strength concrete circular columns confined by aramid fiber-reinforced polymer sheets." J. Compos. Constr., 13(2), 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2009)13:2(125)
- Yu, G. (2004). "Study on the performance of AFRP-confined circular concrete column". Ms thesis, Harbin, Harbin Institute of Technology (in Chinese).
- Experimental investigation of reinforced concrete columns retrofitted with polyester sheet vol.6, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.3.237
- Experimental study on flexural behavior of splicing concrete-filled GFRP tubular composite members connected with steel bars vol.18, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.5.1129
- Seismic Performance of RC Short Columns Strengthened with BFRP vol.351-352, pp.1662-7482, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.351-352.1532