- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Compression test of RCFT columns with thin-walled steel tube and high strength concrete
- Xiamuxi, Alifujiang (Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering, Hachinohe Institute of Technology) ;
- Hasegawa, Akira (Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering, Hachinohe Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2011.08.21
- Accepted : 2011.06.22
- Published : 2011.09.25
It is clear from the former researches on reinforced concrete filled steel tubular (RCFT) structures that RCFT structures have higher strength and deformation capacity than concrete filled steel tubular (CFT) structures. However, in the case of actual applications to large-scaled structures, the thin-walled steel tube must be used from the view point of economic condition. Therefore, in this study, compression tests of RCFT columns which were made by thin-walled steel tube or small load-sharing ratio in cooperation with high strength concrete were carried out, meanwhile corresponding tests of CFT, reinforced concrete (RC), pure concrete and steel tube columns were done to compare with RCFT. By the a series of comparison and analysis, characteristics of RCFT columns were clarified, and following conclusions were drawn: RCFT structures can effectively avoided from brittle failure by the using of reinforcement while CFT structures are damaged due to the brittle failure; with RCFT structures, excellent bearing capacity can be achieved in plastic zone by combining the thin-walled steel tube with high strength concrete and reinforcement. The smaller load-sharing ratio can made the reinforcement play full role; Combination of thin-walled steel tube with high strength concrete and reinforcement is effective way to construct large-scaled structures.
RCFT structures;CFT structures;large-scaled structures;compression test;thin-walled steel tube;load-sharing ratio;high strength concrete;brittle failure;bearing capacity
- Endo, T., Shioi, Y., Hasegawa, A. and Wang, H.J. (2000), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete filled steel tubular structure", Proc.7th Int. Conf. on Steel. Struct., Singapore.
- Han, J.S., Xu, Z.D., Cong S.P. et al. (2010), "Analysis of axial compressive performance for reinforced concrete filled tubular steel", Architectural & Environmental Eng., 31(3), 11-17.
- JSCE (1999), "Reality state and analysis of steel construction damaged by Hansin-Awaji Earthquake", Japanese Society of Civil Engineers, Tokyo Japan.
- JSCE (1999), "Theory and design of steel-concrete hybrid structures part1: Theory and basic concept", Japanese Society of Civil Engineers, Tokyo Japan.
- Lee,S.J. (2007), "Capacity and the moment-curvature relationship of high-strength concrete filled steel tube columns under eccentric loads", Steel. Comp. Struct., An Int'l Journal,7(2).
- Miao,W. (2010) , "Experimental research and bearing capacity analysis of axially compressive reinforced concrete filled steel tube short column", Shanxi Architecture, 36(5), 79-81.
- Husem, M. and PUL, S. (2007), "Investigation of stress-strain models for confined high strength concrete", Sadhana., 32(3), 243-252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-007-0021-y
- Sato, M. (2008), "Study on structural characteristics of RCFT and the application to practical structures", MS thesis, Hachinohe Institute of Technology, Hachinohe Japan.
- Shioi, Y. (1998) , "Study on arrangement of reinforcements to improve shearing capacity and ductility of piers", Report of study of science research subsidy , Tokyo Japan.
- Suzuki, T. (2008), "Study on new bridges that adopt hybrid structure", PhD thesis, Hachinohe Institute of Technology, Hachinohe Japan.
- Wang, H.J., Ishibashi, H., Wei, H. and Hasegawa, A. (2002), "Experimental study on twin-column RCFT pier", the Second Int. Conf. on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics(ASEM'02), Busan(Pusan), Korea .
- Wei, H., Iwasaki, S., Hasegawa, A., Shioi, Y. and Miyamoto, Y. (2002), "Experimental study on mechanical characteristics of reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular structures", J. Const. Steel., JSSC, 10, 519-526.
- Wei, H., Wang, H.J., Hasegawa, A. and Shioi, Y. (2005), "Study on strength of reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 19(6), 653-677. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.19.6.653
- Xiao, C.Z., Cai, S.H. and Xu, C.L. (2005), "Experimental study on shear resistance performance of concrete filled steel tube columns", China. Civil. Eng. J., 12(4), 10-16.
- Xu, Y.F., Zhao, J.Y., Liu, N. et al. (2009), "The ductility analysis of circular steel tube compile column filled with steel reinforced concrete on cyclic loading", J. Shenyang. Jianzhu. Univer., 10(9), 83-87.
- Yao, G.H., Huang, Y.J., Song, B.D. et al. (2008), "Research on behavior of the inner joint of concrete filled steel tube column-RC ring beam", Steel. Const., 9(6), 27-30.
- Experimental study on reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular columns vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.4.517
- Pitch spacing effect on the axial compressive behaviour of spirally reinforced concrete-filled steel tube (SRCFT) vol.100, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.12.011
- A study on the structural performance of new shape built-up square column under concentric axial load vol.18, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.6.1451
- A study on nonlinear analysis and confinement effect of reinforced concrete filled steel tubular column vol.56, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.56.5.727
- Steel-reinforced concrete-filled steel tubular columns under axial and lateral cyclic loading vol.10, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-018-0186-0