- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Cyclic testing of steel I-beams reinforced with GFRP
- Egilmez, O. Ozgur (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Izmir Inst. of Technology) ;
- Yormaz, Doruk (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Izmir Inst. of Technology)
- Received : 2010.11.01
- Accepted : 2010.12.16
- Published : 2011.03.25
Flange and web local buckling in beam plastic hinge regions of steel moment frames can prevent beam-column connections from achieving adequate plastic rotations under earthquake-induced forces. This threat is especially valid for existing steel moment frame buildings with beams that lack adequate flange/web slenderness ratios. As the use of fiber reinforced polymers (FRP) have increased in strengthening and repair of steel members in recent years, using FRPs in stabilizing local instabilities have also attracted attention. Previous computational studies have shown that longitudinally oriented glass FRP (GFRP) strips may serve to moderately brace beam flanges against the occurrence of local buckling during plastic hinging. An experimental study was conducted at Izmir Institute of Technology investigating the effects of GFRP reinforcement on local buckling behavior of existing steel I-beams with flange slenderness ratios (FSR) exceeding the slenderness limits set forth in current seismic design specifications and modified by a bottom flange triangular welded haunch. Four European HE400AA steel beams with a depth/width ratio of 1.26 and FSR of 11.4 were cyclically loaded up to 4% rotation in a cantilever beam test set-up. Both bare beams and beams with GFRP sheets were tested in order to investigate the contribution of GFRP sheets in mitigating local flange buckling. Different configurations of GFRP sheets were considered. The tests have shown that GFRP reinforcement can moderately mitigate inelastic flange local buckling.
- Accord, N. B., and Earls, C. J. (2006), "Use of fiber-reinforced polymer composite elements to enhance structural steel member ductility," J. of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 10(4), 337-344. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2006)10:4(337)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2005a), Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings, ANSI/AISC 341-05, Chicago, IL.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2005b), Prequalified connections for special and intermediate steel moment frames for seismic applications, ANSI/AISC 358-05, AISC, Chicago, IL.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). (2005c), Specification for structural steel buildings, ANSI/360- 05, AISC, Chicago, IL.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), (1999), Modification of existing welded steel moment connections for seismic resistance, Steel Design Guide Series 12, Chicago, IL.
- ANSYS Inc. (2007), Finite element model users manual, Version 11.0, Canonsburg, Pa.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), (2003) "Standard test method for tension testing of metallic materials (Metric)," Designation 03 . 01: E 8M.
- Boone, M., J. (2002),), "Mechanical Testing of Epoxy Adhesives for Naval Applications," Master of Science Thesis, The Graduate School of The University of Maine, December.
- Chen, M. and Das, S. (2009), "Experimental study on repair of corroded steel beam using CFRP," Steel and Composite Structures, TECHNO PRESS, 9(2), 103-118. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2009.9.2.103
- Damatty, A. A. and Abushagur, M. (2003), "Testing and modeling of shear and peel behavior for bonded steel/ FRP connections," Thin-Walled Structures, ELSEVIER, 41(11), 987-1003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(03)00051-X
- Egilmez, O. O., Alkan, D., and Ozdemir, T. (2009), "Cyclic behavior of steel I-beams modified by a welded haunch and reinforced with GFRP," Steel and Composite Structures, TECHNO PRESS, 9(5), 419-444. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2009.9.5.419
- Ekiz, E., El-Tawil, S. Parra-Montesinos, G., and Goel, S. (2004), "Enhancing plastic hinge behavior in steel flexural members using CFRP wraps," Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 2496, Vancouver.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (2000a), Recommended seismic design criteria for new steel moment-frame buildings, 350, Washington, D.C.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA, (2000b), Recommended seismic evaluation and upgrade for existing welded steel moment-frame buildings, 351, Washington, D.C..
- Guven, C. A. (2009, "Experimental study on improving local buckling behavior of steel plates with glass fiber reinforced polymers," MS Thesis, Izmir Institute of Technology, March.
- Harries K. A., Peck, A. J., Abraham, E. J. (2009), "Enhancing stability of structural steel sections using FRP," Thin Walled Structures, ELSEVIER, 47(10), 1092-1101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.10.007
- Miller, T. C., Chajes, M. J., Mertz, D. R., and Hastings, J. N. (2002), "Strengthening of a steel bridge girder using CFRP plates," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 6(6), 514-522.
- Nakashima, M., Kanao, I., and Liu, D. (2002), "Lateral instability and lateral bracing of steel beams subjected to cyclic loading," J. of Structural Eng., ASCE, 128(10), 1308-1316. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:10(1308)
- Nakashima, M., Liu, D., and Kanao, I. (2003), "Lateral-torsional and local instability of steel beams subjected to large cyclic loading," J. of Steel Structures, 3(3), 179-189.
- Okazaki, T., Liu, D., Nakashima, M., and Engelhardt, M.D. (2006), "Stability requirements for beams in seismic steel moment frames," J. of Structural Eng., ASCE, 132(9), 1334-1342. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:9(1334)
- Sayed-Ahmet, E.Y. (2004), "Strengthening of thin-walled steel I-section beams using CFRP strips," Proceedings of the 4th Advanced Composites for Bridges and Structures Conference, Calgary, Canada.
- Schnerch, D., Dawood, M., Rizkalla, S., and Sumner, E. (2007), "Proposed design guidelines for strengthening of steel bridges with FRP materials," Construction and Building Materials, ELSEVIER, 21(5), 1001-1010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.03.003
- Galvanic Current Influencing Interface Deterioration of CFRP Bonded to a Steel Substrate vol.28, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001405
- Behavior and design of steel I-beams with inclined stiffeners vol.12, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.3.183
- Shear strengthening effect by bonded GFRP strips and transverse steel on RC T-beams vol.47, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.1.075
- Strengthening of steel structures with fiber-reinforced polymer composites vol.78, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.06.011
- Energy absorption of reinforced concrete deep beams strengthened with CFRP sheet vol.16, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.16.5.481
- Design of Lightweight Glass-Fibre-Reinforced Epoxy I-Beam for Structural Applications vol.725-726, pp.1662-7482, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.725-726.617