- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A new 3D interface element for three dimensional finite element analysis of FRP strengthened RC beams
- Kohnehpooshi, O. (Department of Civil Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Noorzaei, J. (Institute of Advance Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Jaafar, M.S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Saifulnaz, M.R.R. (Department of Civil Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Received : 2011.02.28
- Accepted : 2011.10.28
- Published : 2011.12.25
The analysis of interfacial stresses in structural component has been the subject of several investigations but it still requires more effort and studies. In this study a general three-dimensional interface element has been formulated for stress and displacement analyses in the interfacial area between two adjacent plate bending element and brick element. Interface element has 16 nodes with 5 degrees of freedom (DOF) in each node adjacent to plate bending element and 3 DOF in each node adjacent to brick element. The interface element has ability to transfer three translations from each side of interface element and two rotations in the side adjacent to the plate element. Stiffness matrix of this element was formulated and implemented in three-dimensional finite element code. Application of this element to the reinforced concrete (RC) beam strengthened with fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) including variation of deflection, slip between plate and concrete, normal and shear stresses distributions in FRP plates have been verified using experimental and numerical work of strengthened RC beams carried out by some researchers. The results show that this interface element is effective and can be used for structural component with these types of interface elements.
- Ahmad, M. and Bangash, Y. (1987), "A three-dimensional bond analysis using finite element", Comput. Struct., 25, 281-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(87)90151-9
- Anania, L., Badalà, A. and Failla, G. (2005), "Increasing the flexural performance of RC beams strengthened with CFRP materials", Constr. Build. Mater., 19(1), 55-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2004.04.011
- Arduini, M. and Nanni, A. (1997), "Parametric study of beams with externally bonded FRP reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 94(2), 493-501.
- Barbato, M. (2009), "Efficient finite element modelling of reinforced concrete beams retrofitted with fibre reinforced polymers", Comput. Struct., 87, 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2008.11.006
- Chore, H.S., Ingle, R.K. and Sawant, V.A. (2009), "Building frame-pile foundation-soil interactive analysis", Interact. Multiscale Mech., 2(4), 397-411. https://doi.org/10.12989/imm.2009.2.4.397
- Chore, H.S., Ingle, R.K. and Sawant, V.A. (2010), "Building frame - pile foundation - soil interaction analysis: a parametric study", Interact. Multiscale Mech., 3(1), 55-79. https://doi.org/10.12989/imm.2010.3.1.055
- Coronado, C.A. and Lopez, M.M. (2006), "Sensitivity analysis of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with FRP laminates", Cement Concerete Compos., 28, 102-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2005.07.005
- Ebead, U and Marzouk, H. (2004), "Fiber-reinforced polymer strengthening of two-way slabs", ACI Struct. J., 101(5), 650-659.
- Ebead, U. and Marzouk, H. (2005), "Tension-stiffening model for FRP strengthened RC concrete two-way slab", Mater. Struct., 38(2), 193-200.
- El-Mihilmy, M. and Tedesco, J.W. (2000), "Analysis of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with FRP laminates", Mater. Struct., 126(6), 684-691.
- Gao, B., Kim, J.K. and Leung, C.K.Y. (2004), "Experimental study on RC beams with FRP strips bonded with rubber modified resins", Compos. Sci. Technol., 64, 2557-2564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2004.05.016
- Grace, N.F., Sayed, G.A., Soliman, A.K. and Saleh, K.R. (1999), "Strengthening reinforced concrete beams using fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) laminates", ACI Struct. J., 96(5), 865-874.
- Guido, C., Enrico, S. and Roko, Z. (2007), "Experimental and nonlinear finite element studies of RC beams strengthened with FRP plates", Compos. Part B, 38, 277-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2005.12.003
- Harajli, M.H. and Soudki, K.A. (2003), "Shear strengthening of interior slab-column connections using carbon fiber-reinforced polymer sheets", J. Compos. Constr. - ASCE, 7(2), 145-153. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2003)7:2(145)
- Hu, H.T., Lin, F.M. and Jan, Y.Y. (2004), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete beams strengthened by fibre-reinforced plastic", Compos. Struct. J., 63, 271-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00174-0
- Kohnehpooshi, O., Noorzaei, J., Jaafar, M.S., Abdulrazeg, A.A. and Raizal, S.M.R. (2010), "A three dimensional finite element modeling of reinforced concrete beams, using lagrangian and truss-linkage elements", Asian J. Civil Eng., 11(1), 71-82.
- Kohnehpooshi, O. (2011), "Three dimensional finite element analysis of reinforced and prestressed concrete bridge superstructures", PhD thesis, University Putra Malaysia. (in press)
- Lundquist, J., Nordin, H., Taljsten, B. and Olafsson, T. (2005), "Numerical analysis of concrete beams strengthened with CFRP - a study of anchorage lengths. In: FRP in construction", Proceeding of the international symposium of bond behaviour of FRP in structure, p. 247-254.
- Lu, X.Z., Teng, J.G., Ye, L.P. and Jiang, J.J. (2005), "Bond-slip models for FRP sheets/plates bonded to concrete", Eng. Struct., 27(6), 920-937. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.01.014
- Noorzaei, J. (1991), "Nonlinear soil structure interaction in framed structures", PhD thesis, Civil Engineering Department, IIT Roorkee, India.
- Pham, H.B. and Al-Mahaidi, R. (2006), "Prediction models for debonding failure loads of carbon fiber reinforced polymer retrofitted reinforced concrete beams", J. Compos. Constr. - ASCE, 10(1), 48-59. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2006)10:1(48)
- Rahimi, H. and Hutchinson, A. (2001), "Concrete beams strengthened with externally bonded FRP plates", J. Compos. Constr. - ASCE, 5(1), 44-56. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2001)5:1(44)
- Reddy, B.P., Alagusundaramoorthy, P. and Sundaravadivelu, R. (2009), "Retrofitting of RC Piles using GFRP Composites", KSCE J. Civil Eng., 13(1), 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-009-0039-2
- Saadatmanesh, H. and Ehsani, M.R. (1991), "RC beams strengthened with GFRP plates. I: Experimental study", J. Struct. Eng., 117(11), 3417-3433. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:11(3417)
- Santhakumar, R. and Chandrasekaran, E. (2004), "Analysis of retrofitted reinforced concrete shear beams using carbon fibre composite", Electron. J. Struct. Eng., 4, 66-74.
- Sayed-Ahmed, E.Y., Bakay, R. and Shrive, N.G. (2009), "Bond strength of frp laminates to concrete state-of-the-art review", Electron. J. Struct. Eng., 9, 45-61.
- Sharif, A., Al-Sulaimani, G.J., Basunbul, I.A., Baluch, M.H. and Ghaleb, B.N. (1994), "Strengthening of initially loaded reinforced concrete beams using FRP plates", ACI Struct. J., 91(2), 160-168.
- Seim, W., Hörmann, M., Karbhari, V. and Seible, F. (2001), "External FRP poststrengthening of scaled concrete slabs", J. Compos. Constr. - ASCE, 5(2), 67-75. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2001)5:2(67)
- Triantafillou, T. and Pleveris, N. (1992), "Strengthening of RC beams with epoxy bonded fibre-composite material", Mater. Struct., 25, 201-211. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02473064
- Viladkar, M.N., Goidbole, P.N. and Noorzaei, J. (1992), "Space frame-raft-soil interaction including effect of slab stiffness", Comput. Struct., 43(1), 93-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90083-C
- Yasmeen, T.O., Susanne, H. and Ola, D. (2010), "The effect of CFRP and CFRP/concrete interface models when modeling retrofitted RC beams with FEM", Compos. Struct., 92, 1391-1398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.11.008
- Non-Linear Three Dimensional Finite Elements for Composite Concrete Structures vol.14, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78253170