- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Real-Time Hardware Simulator for Grid-Tied PMSG Wind Power System
- Choy, Young-Do (Research Center of the Korea Electric Power Coporation) ;
- Han, Byung-Moon (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Young (Department of Electrical Engineering Myongji University) ;
- Jang, Gil-Soo (Department of Electrical Engineering Korea University)
- Received : 2010.10.12
- Accepted : 2011.03.15
- Published : 2011.05.02
This paper describes a real-time hardware simulator for a grid-tied Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) wind power system, which consists of an anemometer, a data logger, a motor-generator set with vector drive, and a back-to-back power converter with a digital signal processor (DSP) controller. The anemometer measures real wind speed, and the data is sent to the data logger to calculate the turbine torque. The calculated torque is sent to the vector drive for the induction motor after it is scaled down to the rated simulator power. The motor generates the mechanical power for the PMSG, and the generated electrical power is connected to the grid through a back-to-back converter. The generator-side converter in a back-to-back converter operates in current control mode to track the maximum power point at the given wind speed. The grid-side converter operates to control the direct current link voltage and to correct the power factor. The developed simulator can be used to analyze various mechanical and electrical characteristics of a grid-tied PMSG wind power system. It can also be utilized to educate students or engineers on the operation of grid-tied PMSG wind power system.
- Z. Chen and E. Spooner, "Grid Interface Options for Variable-Speed Permanent Magnet generators", IEE Proceedings On Electrical Power Application, Vol. 145, No. 4, pp.273-283, July 1988.
- M. Chinchilla, S. Arnaltes, and J. Burgos, "Control of permanent-Magnet Generators Applied to Variable-Speed Wind-Energy systems Connected to the Grid", IEEE Transactions On Energy Conversion, Vol.21, No.1, pp.130-135, March 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.853735
- K. Tan and S. Islam, "Optimum Control Strategies in Energy Conversion of PMSG Wind Turbine System without Mechanical Sensor", IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.392-399, June 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.827038
- A. Rodriguez, M. Paydin, and C. Mitchell, "PSCAD based Simulation of the interconnection of a wind generator to the network ", IEEE Power Tech 2001 Conference, Vol.4, September 2001.
- C. Nichita, D. Luca, B. Dakyo, and E. Ceanga, "Large band Simulation of the Wind Speed for Real Time Wind Turbine Simulator", IEEE Transaction On Energy Conversion, Vol.17, No.4, pp.523-529, December 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.805216
- M. Yin, G. Li, M. Zhou, and C. Zhao, "Modeling of the Wind Turbine with a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator for Integration", IEEE PES 2007 General Meeting, 24-28 June 2007.
- S. Mueller, M. Deicke, and R. De Doncker, "Adjustable Speed Generators for Wind Turbines for Doubly-Fed Induction Machines and 4-Quadrant IGBT Converters Linked to the Rotor", IEEE IAS 2000 Conference, Vol.4, pp.2249-2254, 2000.
- M. Chinchilla, S. Arnaltes, and J. Burgos, "Laboratory Set-up for Wind Turbine Emulation", IEEE ICIT 2004, Conference, Vol.1, pp.553-557, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIT.2004.1490352
- B. Rabelo, W. Hofmann, and M. Glueck, "Emulation of the Static and Dynamic behavior of a Wind-Turbine with a DC-machine", IEEE PESC 2004 Conference, Vol.3, pp.2107-2112, 2004.
- H. Kojabadi, L. Chang, and T. Boutot, "Development of a Novel Wind Turbine Simulator for Wind Energy Conversion Systems Using an Inverter-Controlled Induction Motor", IEEE Transactions On Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.547-552, September 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.832070
- B. Gong and D. Xu, "Real Time Wind Turbine Simulator for Energy Conversion System", IEEE PESC 2008 Conference, pp.1110-1114, 2008.
- R. Wai, C. Lin, and Y. Chang, "Novel Maximum Power Extraction Algorithm for PMSG Wind Generation System", IET Electrical Power Application, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.275-283, March, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20050514
- Y. Nam, J. Kim, I. Paek, Y. Moon, S. Kim and D. Kim, "Feedforward Pitch Control Using Wind Speed Estimation", Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp.211-217, 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.211
- T. Ahmed, K. Nishida, M. Nakaoka, T. Tanaka, "Advanced Control of a PWM Converter with a Variable-Speed Induction Generator", Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp.97-108, 2007
- S. Song, B. Jeong, H. Lee, J. Kim, J. Oh and G. Venkataramanan, "Emulation of Output Characteristics of Rotor Blades using Hardware-in-Loop Wind Turbine Simulator", IEEE APEC 2005 Conference, Vol.3, pp.1791-1796, 2005.
- Implementation of module-based wind power system with pitch angle control vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/22348972.2017.1303884
- Design and manufacture of small-scale wind turbine simulator to emulate torque response of MW wind turbine vol.4, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-017-0046-6
- Design of DC Side Voltage and Compensation Analysis of THD for Shunt Power Quality Controller under System Load of Rectifier with R-L Load vol.10, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.030
- Comparative Study of the Behavior of a Wind Farm Integrating Three Different FACTS Devices vol.9, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1258
- Hardware Simulator for LVRT Operation Analysis of Grid-Tied PMSG Wind Power System vol.63, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.9.1219
- Analysis and Compensation of Current Measurement Errors in a Doubly Fed Induction Generator vol.9, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.532
- A Study on the Design of Control Logic for Wind Turbine Simulator having Similarity with 3MW Class Wind Turbine vol.61, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2012.61.6.810
- Development of a 20 kW wind turbine simulator with similarities to a 3 MW wind turbine vol.62, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.06.026
- Analysis and Compensation of Time Delay Effects in Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for Automotive PMSM Drive System vol.59, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2172169
- Operation Mode Development and Evaluation for Grid-Tied PMSG Wind Power System Combined with Battery Energy Storage vol.61, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2012.61.1.041