- Volume 6 Issue 3
An induction motor operated with high voltage source generally generates high current in starting mode and has a long transient time after being started. This large and sustaining starting current causes the end windings of the stator to have excessive electromagnetic force. This force is the source of vibration and has a negative and serious influence on the insulation of end windings. Therefore, designing the end winding part with an appropriate support system is needed. To design the support ring enclosing the end windings, we analyze the distribution of electromagnetic force on the end windings by applying the Biot-Savart's law and the 3D finite element method (FEM), and comparing two simulation methods. Finally, we verify the safety of the support structure of the end winding part using stress analysis, which is analyzed with the electromagnetic forces from the 3D FEM simulation.
Biot-Savart's law;End winding of stator;Electromagnetic force distribution;3D finite element method
- D. Harrington, "Forces in Machine End Windings," AIEE Oct. 1952, pp 849-859.
- D. S. Ashworth and P. Hammond, "The Calculation of the Magnetic Field of Rotating Machines, Part 2 - the Field of Turbo-Generator End-Windings," IEE No. 3489 S, Mar. 1961, pp 527-538.
- P. J. Lawrenson, "Forces on Turbo Generator End Windings," Proc. IEE, Vol. 112, No. 6, Jun. 1965, pp 1144–1158.
- T. Nomura, "Magnetic Forces Working on End Windings of Generators," Mitsubishi Technical Report Vol. 46, No. 10, 1972, pp 1129-1134.
- M. Ohtaguro, K. Yagiuchi, H. Yamaguchi, "Mechanical Behavior of Stator End Windings," IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-99, No. 3, May/June 1980, pp 1181-1185. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1980.319748
- S. Williamson, M. R. E. Ellis, "Influence of Rotor Currents on End-Winding Forces in Cage Motor," IEE Proc. Vol. 135, Pt B, No. 6, Nov. 1988, pp 371-379.
- G. K. M. Khan, G. W. Buckley, and N. Brooks, "Calculation of Forces and Stresses on Generator End-Windings Part I: Forces," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 4, No. 4, Dec. 1989.
- X. Wen, R. Yao, J. A. Tegopoulos, "Calculation of Forces on the Stator End Windings of Turbo Generator by the Transient Quasi-3D Method," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 32, No. 3, May 1996, pp 1669-1672. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.497576
- P. C. Krause, Analysis of Electric Machinery, McGraw-Hill, 1987.