- Volume 6 Issue 3
An iterative technique based on orthogonal filters and frequency tracking is proposed to estimate harmonic components in power systems. The technique uses frequency interpolation to estimate fundamental frequency and harmonics when the nominal frequency of the signal is a non-integer value. Due to the number of computations involved during the generation of filter coefficients, an offline computation is suggested. Beneficial features of the proposed technique include fixed sampling rate and fixed data window size. The performance of the proposed technique is examined by simulating different power system operating conditions and evaluating the data from these simulations. A technique based on Fast Fourier Transform is also used to estimate the harmonic components for all the simulated signals. These estimates are compared with those obtained from the proposed technique. Results show that the proposed technique can converge to the accurate fundamental frequency and therefore, provide accurate harmonic components even when the fundamental frequency is not equal to the nominal frequency.
Iterative technique;Frequency tracking;Harmonic estimation;FFT
- Thomas H. Ortmeyer, K.R.Chakravarthi, Aly A. Mahmoud, "The Effects of Power System Harmonics end Power System Equipment and Loads", IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and System, Vol. PAS-104, No. 9, pp. 2555-2560, September 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1985.319019
- P.Sowa, Dutta Roy, M.Gopal “Fault-Induced Harmonics Transients at the Relay Terminals”, IEEE Region 10 International Conference on Connectivity in Energy, Vol. 3, 1998, pp. 440-443
- Timoty A. George and David Bones, “Harmonic Power Flow Determination Using the Fast Fourier Transform”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol 6, No 3, April 1991.
- Adly A. Girgis, W. Bin Chang, Elham B.Markam, "A Digital Recursive Measurement Scheme for On-line Tracking of Power System Harmonics", Paper No. 91 WM 109-9 PWRD, 1991, IEEE/PES Winter Meeting, New York, New York, February 3, 1991.
- L.L. Lai, W.L. Chan, C.T. Tse, A.T.P. So, "Real-Time Frequency and Harmonic Evaluation using Artificial Neural Networks", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 52-57, January 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.736681
- Adly A. Girgis, Fredric M. Ham, "A Quantitative Study of Pitfalls in the FFT", IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. AES-16, No. 4, pp. 434–439, July 1980.
- M. S., Sachdev, H. C. Wood, and N. G., Johnson, “Kalman Filtering Applied to Power System Measurements for Relaying”, IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-104, Dec. 1985, pp. 3565–3573.
- T.S. Sidhu, M.S. Sachdev, "An Iterative Technique for Fast and Accurate Measurement of Power System Frequency", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.109–115, January 1998.
- Extended C37.118.1 PMU Algorithms for Joint Tracking of Fundamental and Harmonic Phasors in Stressed Power Systems and Microgrids vol.29, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2318024
- Phasor measurement unit based wide-area monitoring and information sharing between micro-grids vol.11, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2016.1419