- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Two Congestion Management Methods for the Restructured Power Systems
- Manikandan, B.V. (Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi Tamilnadu) ;
- Raja, S. Charles (Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, TamilNadu) ;
- Venkatesh, P. (Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, TamilNadu) ;
- Mandala, Manasarani (Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, TamilNadu)
- Received : 2010.09.30
- Accepted : 2010.12.22
- Published : 2011.05.02
Congestion management is one of the most challenging tasks of a system operator to ensure the operation of transmission system within operating limits. In this paper, cluster/zone method and relative electrical distance (RED) method for congestion management are compared based on the considered parameters. In the cluster/zone method, rescheduling of generation is based on user impact on congestion through the use of transmission congestion distribution factors. In the RED method, the desired proportions of generations for the desired overload relieving are obtained. Even after generation rescheduling, if congestion exists, load curtailment option is also introduced. Rescheduling cost, system cost, losses, and voltage stability parameter are also calculated and compared for the above two methods of congestion management. The results are illustrated on sample 6-bus, IEEE 30-bus, and Indian utility 69-bus systems.
- R. D. Christie, B. Wollenberg and I. Wangensteen, “Transmission management in the deregulated environment”, Proceedings of IEEE , Vol.88, No.2, pp. 170-195, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.823997
- A. Kumar, S. C. Srivastava and S.N. Singh, “Congestion management in competitive power market: A bibliographical survey”, Electrical Power Systems Research, Vol.76, pp.153-164, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2005.05.001
- R. S. Fang and A. K. David, “Transmission congestion management in an electricity market”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 877-883, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.780898
- F. Jian and J. W. Lamont, “A combined frame work for service identification and congestion management”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.16, No.1, pp.56-61, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.910781
- S. Hao and D. Shirmohammadi, “Congestion management with Ex-Ante pricing for decentralized markets”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 1030-1036, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.804944
- H. Y. Yamina and S. M. Shahidehpour, “Congestion management coordination in the deregulated power market”, Electrical Power Systems Research, Vol.65, No.2, pp. 119-127, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(02)00228-6
- E. Bompard, P. Correia, G. Gross and M. Amelin, “Congestion management schemes: A comparative analysis under a unified framework”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 346-352, 2003.
- B. K. Talukdar, A. K. Sinha, S. Mukhopadhyay and A. Bose, “A computationally simple method for costefficient generation rescheduling and load shedding for congestion management”, International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 27, No. 5-6, pp. 379-388, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.02.003
- A. Kumar, S. C. Srivastava and S.N. Singh, “A zonal congestion management approach using ac transmission congestion distribution factors”, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol.72, pp.85-93, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2004.03.011
- G. Yesuratnam and D. Thukaram, “Congestion management in open access based on relative electrical distances using voltage stability criteria”, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol.77, pp. 1608-1618, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.11.007
- Y. Niu, Y. L. Cong and T. Niimura, “Transmission congestion relief solutions by load management”, Proceedings of the IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp.18-23, 2002.
- D. Thukaram, H. P. Khincha, B. Ravikumar and G. Yesuratnam, “Generators contribution towards loads and line flows - a case study”, IEEE Power India Conference, April, 2006.
- D. Kirschen, R. Allan and G. Strbac, “Contribution of individual generators to loads and flows”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 52-60, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.574923
- E. Acha, C. R. Fuerte-Esquivel, H. Ambriz-Perez and C. Angeles-Camacho, “FACTS Modeling and Simulation in Power Networks”, John Wiley publishers, New York, 2004.
- J. Bialek, “Tracing the flow of Electricity”, Proceedings of IEEE, Vol.143, No.4, pp.313-320, 1996.
- P. Kessel and H. Glavitsch, “Estimating the Voltage Stability of a Power System”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. PWRD-1, No.3, pp. 346-354, 1986.
- A.J. Wood and B.F. Wollenberg, “Power Generation Operation and Control”, John Wiley publishers, New York, 1996.
- Tamil Nadu Electricity Board Statistics at a Glance 2003-2004, Planning Wing of TamilNadu Electricity Board, Chennai, India.
- Power flow tracing based transmission congestion pricing in deregulated power markets vol.83, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.03.049