- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design of an Asymmetrical Three-phase Inverter for Load Balancing and Power Factor Correction Based on Power Analysis
- Mokhtari, M. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Golshannavaz, S. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Nazarpour, D. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Urmia University) ;
- Aminifar, F. (Orum Energy Incorporation)
- Received : 2010.04.29
- Accepted : 2011.01.18
- Published : 2011.05.02
This paper presents a novel theoretical method based on power analysis to obtain voltage reference values for an inverter-based compensator. This type of compensator, which is installed in parallel with the load, is usually referred to as the active filter. The proposed method is tailored to design the compensator in such a way that it can simultaneously balance the asymmetric load, as well as correct the power factor of the supply side. For clarity, a static compensator is first considered and a recursive algorithm is utilized to calculate the reactance values. The algorithm is then extended to calculate voltage reference values when the compensator is inverter based. It is evident that the compensator would be asymmetric since the load is unbalanced. The salient feature associated with the proposed method is that the circuit representation of system load is not required and that the load is recognized just by its active and reactive consumptions. Hence, the type and connection of load do not matter. The validity and performance of the new approach are analyzed via a numerical example, and the obtained results are thoroughly discussed.
- F.R. Quintela, J.M.G. Arevalo and R.C. Redondo, “Power analysis of static VAr compensators”, J Electric Power Systems Research, 30, pp.376-382, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2007.12.002
- Deepika Masand, Shailendra Jain and Gayatri Agnihotri, “Control Strategies for Distribution Static Compensator for Poor Quality Improvement”, IETE Journal Of Research, vol.54, issue 6, Nov-Dec 2008.
- T.J.E Miller, Reactive Power Control in Electric System: [M]. New York, Wiley, 1982
- Alper Akdag, Susumu Tadakuma and Hideaki Minakata, “Load Balancing Control by Symmetrical Coordinates Frame for PWM Inverter Based Reactive Power Compensators”, T.IEE, Japan, Vol.121-D, No.1, 2001.
- BN Singh, Bhim Singh, Ambrish Chandra and Kamal Al-Haddad, “Digital implementation of an advanced static compensator for voltage profile improvement, power-factor correction and balancing of unbalanced reactive loads”, J Electric Power Systems Research, 54, pp. 101-111, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(99)00078-4
- Patricio Salmeron, Reyes S. Herrera and Jesus R. Vazquez, “A new approach for three-phase loads compensation based on the instantaneous reactive power theory”, J Electric Power Systems Research, 78, pp.605-617, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2007.05.003
- Salem Rahmani, Kamal Al-Haddad and Hadi Youssef Kanaan, “A comparative study of shunt hybrid and shunt active power filters for single-phase applications Simulation and experimental validation”, J Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 71, pp. 345-359, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matcom.2006.02.018
- Bor-Ren Lin, Tsung-Yu Yang. “Active power filter with asymmetrical inverter legs for harmonic and reactive power compensation” IEEE Conference, Circuits and Systems, the 47th Midwest Symposium Volume.2, pp.II-285 - II-288, 2004.
- S. Segui-Chilet, F.J. Gimeno-Sales, S. Orts, G. Garcera, E. Figueres, M. Alcaniz and R. Masot , “Approach to unbalance power active compensation under linear load unbalances and fundamental voltage asymmetries”, J Electric Power Systems Research 29, pp.526-539, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2007.01.003
- V. Kinnares and C. Charumit, “Modulating Functions of Space Vector PWM for Three-Leg VSI-Fed Unbalanced Two-Phase Induction Motors”, IEEE Trans on Power Electronics , Volume.24, issue.4, pp.1135-1139, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2011906
- G. Grandi and D. Ostojic. “Dual inverter space vector modulation with power balancing capability” IEEE EUROCON, pp.721-728, 2009.
- Hirofumi Akagi, Edsun Hirokazu Watanabe and Mauricio Aredes, Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning: New Jersey, Wiley, 2007.
- E. Acha, V.G. Agelidis, O. Anaya-Lara and T.J.E. Miller, Power Electronic Control in Electrical Systems: Newnes, 2002.
- Nilsson James and W. Riedel Susan. Electric Circuits. 7th ed. Prentice Hall, 2005.
- Howatson AM, Electric Circuits and Systems: Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1996.
- J. Dixon, L. Moran, J. Rodríguez, and R. Domke, “Reactive power compensation technologies: State of the art review”, Proc. IEEE, vol.93, no.12, pp.2144-2164, Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2005.859937
- Redondo Quintela F, Redondo Melchor N. Multi terminal network power measurement. Int J Elect Eng Educ, 148-61, 2002.
- N.G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, Understanding FACTS: Concepts and technology of flexible ac transmission system: IEEE Press, NY, 2000.