- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Problems of Water Use and Estimation of Water Right in North Han River Shared by North and South Korea (II) - Estimation of Water Right in Downstream Area
남북공유하천 북한강의 물이용 문제점 및 수리권 추정 (II) -하류유역 수리권 추정
- Received : 2011.02.21
- Accepted : 2011.04.07
- Published : 2011.04.30
There are not many practical measures to solve a water conflict, when a hydromorphologically asymmetric situation in international rivers exists whereby downstream users may not affect upstream users but upstream users do cause downstream impacts. In taking advantage of this merit, North Korea has built Imnam Dam in upstream of North Han River and uses water for trans-basin hydropower generation. As an impact of this dam South Korean' area as a downstream user has been suffered from water deficit and dry river. It is very critical for South Korea to solve a key problem such as water allocation for water supply and river maintenance. Therefore, this study is aim to suggest alternatives for equitable water allocation in consideration of special circumstances between the South and the North. For this, reviewing the allocation methods of water rights is carried using lessons obtained from international river cases. The results show that the minimum desired streamflow is calculated at 7.3
shared river by South and North Korea;international river;hydromorphologic asymmetry;equitable water allocation;water right
- 건설교통부(1998). 한강수계 하천수 사용실태 조사 하천유지유량산정보고서.
- 건설교통부/한국수자원공사(2006). 수자원장기종합계획(2006-2020).
- 안종서(2011). 남북공유하천 하류유역 수리권 추정 연구, 충남대학교 대학원 박사학위 청구논문.
- 이광만, 강부식, 홍일표(2008). "남북한 공유하천의 갈등해소와 공동이용을 위한 협력체계", 대한토목학회논문집, 대한토목학회, 제28권, 제5호, pp. 505-514.
- 최동진(2009). "공유하천 관리, 협력사업 연계 통합하여 추진 필요", 워터저널, 11월.
- AbuZeid, Ｋ. (2001). International water law from Helsinki rules to the United Nations convention on the law of the non-navigational uses of international watercourses. Water Resources Impact, Vol. 3, No. 4.
- Abukhater, A. (2007). Equity of Water Resources Allocation in International Law, UNDP, Program of assistance to the Palestinian people.
- Beach, H.L., Hammer, J., Hewitt, J.J., Kaufman, E., Kurki, A., Oppenheimer, J.A., and Wolf, A.T. (2000). Transboundary Freshwater Dispute Resolution: Theory, Practice, and Annotated References. Tokyo: United Nations University Press.
- Becker, N., Zeitouni, N., and Zilberman, D. (2000). Issues in the economics of water resource. In Tietenberg, T., and Folmer, H. (Eds.), The International Yearbook of Environmental and Resource Economics (2000/2001). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Bird, J. (2009). Water Rights and Water Allocation (Issues and Challenges for Asia), Asian Development Bank, Series 17.
- Bogardi, J., and Castelein, S. (2002). From conflict to cooperation in international water resources management: Challenges and opportunities. In: Proceedings of International Conference, UNESCO-IHE Delft, Netherlands.
- Caponera, D.A. (1985). Patterns of Cooperation in international water law: Principles and institutions. Natural Resources Journal, Vol. 25 (July): pp. 563-588.
- Dinar, A., Rosegrant, M.W., and Meinzen-Dick, R. (1997). "Water allocation echanisms: principles and examples". World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, pp. 1779.
- Getches, D. (1997). Water Law in a Nutshell, West Publishing, St. Paul, Minn.
- Howarth, W. (1992). Wisdom's Law of Watercourses, Fifth Edition Shaw & Sons, Crayford.
- Kally, E. (1993). Water and Peace: Water Resources and the Arab-Israeli Peace Process. Tel Aviv University.
- Karan, P. (1961). "Dividing the Water: A Problem in Political Geography." The Professional Geographer, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 6-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0033-0124.1961.131_6.x
- Matthews, O.P. (1984). Water Resources: Geography and Law. Washington DC: American Association of Geographers.
- NWA(1959). Agreement between the government of the United Arab Republic and the government of Sudan for the full utilization of the Nile waters. Nile Waters Agreement.
- Reynaud, A. (2003). "An econometric estimation of industrial water demand in France". Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 213-232. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023992322236
- Sadoff, C.W., and Grey, D. (2002). "Beyond the River: the Benefits of Cooperation on International Rivers". Water Policy, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 389-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-7017(02)00035-1
- Silva, J.E., Correia, F.N., and Silva, M.C. (1998). Transboundary issues in water resources. In: Correia, F.N. (Ed.), Selected Issues in Water Resources Management in Europe. A.A. Balkema Publishers, Rotterdam.
- van der Zaag, P. (2007). "Asymmetry and equity in water resources management: critical institutional issues for Southern Africa. Water Resources Management, Vol. 21, No. 12, pp. 1993-2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-006-9124-1
- van der Zaag, P., Savenije, H.H.G., and Seyam, I. (2002). "Towards measurable criteria for the equitable sharing of international water resources", Water Policy, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 19-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-7017(02)00003-X
- Vlachos, E., and Correia, N.F. (2000). Shared water systems and transboundary issues with special emphasis on the Iberian Peninsula. In: Proceedings of Luso-American Development Foundation, Lisbon.
- White, G. (1957). "A Perspective of River Basin Development." Journal of Lawand Contemporary Problems, Vol. 22, pp. 186.
- Wolf, A.T. (1998). "Conflict and cooperation along international waterways".Water Policy, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 251-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-7017(98)00019-1
- Wolf, A.T. (1999). "Criteria for equitable allocations: the heart of international water conflict". Natural Resources Forum, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 3-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-8947.1999.tb00235.x