- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design of a Flexible Planar RFID Tag Antenna with Low Performance Degradation from Nearby Target Objects
- Choo, Jae-Yul (Department of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Ryoo, Jeong-Ki (RFID Research Lab., LS Industrial Systems Co., Ltd.) ;
- Choo, Ho-Sung (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2010.05.31
- Accepted : 2010.11.10
- Published : 2011.03.31
In this letter, we propose a novel tag antenna that has low performance degradation with nearby dielectric material. We obtained a stable reading performance and a broad matching bandwidth on nearby dielectric materials by employing a T-matching network with thick line width and capacitively slot-loaded arms. We then built the proposed antenna and measured the tag sensitivity to examine the reading characteristics with nearby dielectric materials. The measured results clearly demonstrate stable tag sensitivity with various nearby dielectric materials, such as foam, acrylic-plastic, glass, and ceramic plates. To more closely observe the antenna characteristics with nearby dielectric materials, we also examined the impedance variation and surface current distribution with respect to the dielectric constant of nearby target objects, which ranged from
- D. M. Dobkin, The RF in RFID: Passive UHF RFID in Practice, New York: Elsevier, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2006.870699
- S. L. Chen, K. H. Lin, "A slim RFID tag antenna design for metallic object applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 7, pp. 729-732, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2009.2013079
- C. Cho, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Design of planar RFID tag antenna for metallic objects," Electron. Lett., vol. 44, pp. 175-177, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.817589
- P. V. Nikitin, K. V. S. Rao, "LabVIEW-Based UHF RFID tag test and measurement system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, pp. 2374-2381, Jul. 2009.
- J. Ryoo, J. Choo, I. Park, J. Hong, and J. Lee, "Full wave simulation of flip-chip packaging effects on RFID transponder," IEEE International Conference on RFID, pp. 37-40, Mar. 2007.
- J. Choo, J. Ryoo, J. Hong, H. Jeon, C. Choi, and M. M. Tentzeris, "T-matching networks for the efficient matching of practical RFID tags," 39th European Microwave Conf., pp. 5-8, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2692(00)00047-1
- IE3D. ver. 14.1, Zeland Software Inc., Fremont, CA, May 2008.
- Tagformance Lite. [Online]. Available: http://www.voyantic.com.
- Design of a Tag Antenna for UHF RFID Food Systems vol.13, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.4.208