- Volume 23 Issue 4
Related Factors of Quality of Life in Male Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
남성 만성폐쇄성폐질환자의 삶의 질 관련요인
- Lee, Hae-Jung (School of Nursing, Pusan National University) ;
- Jee, Young-Ju (School of Nursing, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2011.05.18
- Accepted : 2011.08.12
- Published : 2011.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of the study was to examine the related factors of quality of life (QOL) among patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Methods: Patients diagnosed with COPD (N=230) were recruited from four hospitals in Kyeong-Nam province, from March 2 to November 30, 2010. The data collection instruments were the Short Form 36, perceived dyspnea measure by Modified Medical Research Council, COPD and Asthma Sleep Impact Scale, COPD Self-efficacy Scale, and Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale were used. Following the completion of the data collection instruments Pulmonary function was tested. Data were analyzed with descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation and simultaneous multiple regression using SPSS/WIN. Results: The mean QOL of this study was 68.24. Using a multivariate approach, the significant correlates of QOL were depression (
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Alexopoulos, G. S., Sirey, J. A., Raue, P. J., Kanellopoulos, D., Clark, T. E., & Novitch, R. S. (2006). Outcomes of depressed patients undergoing inpatient pulmonary rehabilitation. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 14, 466-475.
- Arne, M., Janson, C., Janson, S., Boman, G., Lindqvist, U., Berne, C., et al. (2009). Physical activity and quality of life in subjects with chronic disease: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease compared with rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes mellitus. Scandinavian Journal Primary Health Care, 27, 141-147.
- Bak-Drabik, K., & Ziora, D. (2010). The impact of socioeconomic status on the quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pneumonologia I Alergologia Polska, 78, 3-13.
- Buchi, S., Brandli, O., Klingler, K., Klaghofer, R., & Buddeberg, C. (2000). Inpatient rehabilitation in inpatients with chronic obstructive lung diseases(COPD): Effect on physical capacity for work, psychological wellbeing and quality of life〔Abstract. Schweizerische Medizinische Wochenschrift, 130, 135-142.
- de Torres, J. P., Casanova, C., Hernandez, C., Abreu, J., Aguirre-Jaime, A., & Celli, B. I. (2005). Gender and COPD in patients attending a pulmonary clinic. Chest, 128, 2012- 2016.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. (2009). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Retrieved April 20, 2011, from: http://www.goldcopd.org/guidelines-global-strategy-for-diagnosis-management .html
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., & Black, W. C. (1995). Multivariate data analysis (4th Ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kang, G. J., Kim, M. H., & Hwang, S. K. (2008). Self-care, symptom experience, and health-related quality of life by COPD severity. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20, 163-175.
- Kaplan, A. (2010). Effect of tiotropium on quality of life in COPD: A systematic review. Primary Care Respiratory Journal, 19, 315-325.
- Kim, A. D. (2002). A study of quality of life in COPD patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, R. I., & Yong, J. S. (2005). Relationship among self-care, self-efficacy, and social support in patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 11, 270-277.
- Kim, E. J., Park, J. H., Yoon, S. J., Lee, S. J., Cha, S. I., Park, J. Y., et al. (2006). Relationship between and disease severity, quality of life, and social factor in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, 60, 397-403. https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2006.60.4.397
- Koh, S. B., Chang, S. J., Kang, M. G., Cha, B. S., & Park, J. K. (1997). Reliability and validity on measurement instrument for health status assessment in occupational workers. The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine, 30, 251-266.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010, January 1). The Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey [KNHANES IV-2] data (session 9). Retrieved July 15, 2011, from http://knhanes. cdc.go.kr/
- Korea Statistical Information Service. (2009). 2009 Deaths and death rates by cause. Retrieved April 20, 2011, from: http://kosis.kr/abroad/abroad_01List.jsp
- Lee, H. J., Kim, K. L., & Seo, J. M. (2003). Effects of telephone counseling on burn out, depression, life satisfaction, and perceived health in care givers of older adults with dementia. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 15, 452-462.
- Miravitlles, M., Molina, J., Naberan, K., Cots, J. M., Ros, F., & Llor, C. (2007). Factors determining the quality of life of patients with COPD in primary care. Therapeutic Advances in Respiratory Disease, 1, 85-92.
- Moussas, G., Tselebis, A., Karkanias, A., Stamouli, D., Ilias, I., Bratis, D., et al. (2008). A comparative study of anxiety and depression in patients with bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and tuberculosis in a general hospital of chest diseases. Annals of General Psychiatry, 7, 7-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-859X-7-7
- Moy, M. L., Reilly, J. J., Ries, A. L., Mosenifar, Z., Kaplan, R. M., Lew, R., et al. (2009). Multivariate models of determinants of health related quality of life in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 46, 643-654.
- Park, S. K., Kim, H., Cho, I., & Ham, O. K. (2009). Gender differences in factors influencing quality of life among patients with coronary artery disease. Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 16(4), 497-505.
- Park, S. J. (2001). An explanatory model on quality of life for the patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Pokrzywinski, R. F., Meads, D. M., Mckenna, S. P., Glendenning, G. A., & Revicki, D. A. (2009). Development and psychometric assessment of the COPD and asthma sleep impact scale (CASIS). Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 7(1), 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-7-98
- Radloff, L. S. (1977). The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, 1, 385-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Rennard, S., Decramer, M., Calverly, P. M. A., Pride, N. B., Soriano, J. B., Vemere, P. A., et al. (2002). Impact of COPD in North America and Europe in 2000: Subjects' perspective of Confronting COPD International Survey. European Respiratory Journal, 20, 799-805.
- Statistics Korea. (2010). Life expectancy and healthy life. Retrieved April 20, 2011, from http://www.index.go.kr/ egams/stts/jsp/potal/stts/PO_STTS_IdxMain.jsp?idx_cd= 2758
- Stavem, K., Lossius, M. I., Kvien, T. K., & Guldvog, B. (2000). The health-related quality of life of patients with epilepsy compared with angina pectoris, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Quality of Life Research, 9, 865-871.
- Talley, C. (2005). Quality of life in chronic obstructive lung disease. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee.
- Ware, J. E., & Sherboune, C. D. (1992). The MOS 36-item shortform health survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical Care, 30, 473-483.
- Wigal, J. K., Creer, T. L., & Kotses, H. (1991). The COPD selfefficacy scale. Chest, 99, 1193-1196.
- World Health Organization. (2003). Report of a Joint WHO/ FAO expert consultation-Diet nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Geneva: WHO. Retrieved August 4, 2011, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_ 916.pdf