- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Cultural Dimensions Model based on Smart Phone Applications
- Oh, Jung-Min (Dept. of IT Application Tech, Hoseo Graduate School of Venture) ;
- Moon, Nam-Mee (Dept. of IT Application Tech, Hoseo Graduate School of Venture)
- Received : 2010.08.20
- Accepted : 2010.09.17
- Published : 2011.03.31
One of the major factors influencing the phenomenal growth of the smart phone market is the active development applications based on open environments. Despite difficulties in finding and downloading applications due to the small screens and inconvenient interfaces of smart phones, users download applications nearly every day. Such user behavior patterns indicate the significance of smart phone applications. So far, studies on applications have focused mainly on technical approaches, including recommendation systems. Meanwhile, the issue of culture, as an aspect of user characteristics regarding smart phone use, remains largely unexamined throughout the world. Hence, the present study attempts to analyze the highest ranked smart phone applications downloaded and paid for that are ranked the highest in 10 countries (Korea, Japan, China, India, the UK, USA, Indonesia, Canada, France, and Mexico) and we then derive the CDSC (Cultural Dimensions Score of Content) for these applications. The results derived are, then, mapped to the cultural dimensions model to determine the CISC (Cultural Index Score for Country). Further, culturally significant differences in smart phone environments are identified using MDS analysis.
Supported by : Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF)
- P. Won-Ik, S. Woo-Je, “A Mobile Multimedia Contents Recommendation Technique Considering User's Psychological Patterns and Situations,” Journal of the Korean Institute of Information scientists and Engineers, Vol.15, No.2, 2010, pp.232-236.
- O. Jung-Min, M. Nam-Mee, “Preference Element Changeable Recommender System based on Extended Collaborative Filtering,” IEEK journals CI, Vol.47, No.4, 2010, pp.18-24.
- Keyword: Culture [online database], http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture
- A. L. Kroeber, and C. Kluckhohn, Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions, Random House, 1952.
- G. Hofstede, Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill., 2005.
- B. Wendy, B. Albert, “Culturability: The Merging of Culture and Usability,” Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Human Factors and the Web, 1998.
- A. Smith et al., “A process model for developing usable cross-cultural websites,” Interacting with Computers 16, 2003, pp.63-91.
- M. Aaron, “Cultural Dimensions and Global Web Design: What? So What? Now What?” Aaron Marcus and Associates, Inc. [online database], www.Amanda.com
- M. Aaron, “Cross-Cultural User-Interface Design,” Human-Computer Interface Internet Conference, 2001.
- Y. Alvin, “Cultural User Interfaces, A Silver Lining in Cultural Diversity,” SIGCHI Vol.28 No.3, 1996.
- L. Inseong et al., “An Empirical Study on How the Moderating Effects of Individual Cultural Characteristics towards a Specific Target Affects User Experience: Based on the Survey Results of Four Types of Digital Device Users in the US, Germany, and Russia,” Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems Vol.19, No.1, 2009.
- H. Edward T and H. Mildred Reed, “Understanding Cultural Differences,” INTERCULTURAL PRESS, INC, 1990.
- G. Hofstede, “Motivation, leadership, and organization: do American theories apply abroad?,” AMACOM, 1980.
- G. Hofstede, “Cultures and organizations,” McGraw-Hill New York, 1991.
- D. Jack, “Cultural relativism and universal human rights,” Human Rights Quarterly, Vol.6, No.4, 1984, pp.400-419. https://doi.org/10.2307/762182
- Keyword: Cultural relativism [online database], http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_relativism
- S. H. Schwartz, “Beyond Individualism/Collectivism : New Cultural Dimensions of Values,” SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD, 1994.
- S. H. Schwartz, “A theory of cultural values and some implications for work,” Applied Psychology : An International Review, Vol.48, issue 1, 1999, pp.23-47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.1999.tb00047.x
- D. W. Baack, S. Nitish, “Culture and Web Communications,” Journal of Business Research 60, 2007, pp.181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.11.002
- AdMob Mobile Metrics, “Metrics Highlights,” http://metrics.admob.com, 2010.5.
- eMarketer Editor, “App Usage to Soar in 2010,” eMarketer Article, 2010.1.
- O. Jung-Min, M. NamMee, “A Study about Cross-Cultural Content Analysis on Global Website in Korea, US, Japan, China”, Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information Vol.15, No.3, 2010. 3.
- J. B. KRUSKAL, NONMETRIC MULTIDIMENSIONAL SCALING : A NUMERICAL METHOD, Psychometrika Vol.29, No.2, 1964.
- K. Heung-Ryel, Y. Seol-Min, A study for positining of theme park, based on Multi Dimensional Scaling(MDS), Travel Research Vol.25, No.2, 2010, pp.197-216.
- Phase transition in the Sznajd model with independence vol.96, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1209/0295-5075/96/48002
- Users’ participation in requirements gathering for smart phones applications in emerging markets vol.14, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10209-013-0344-x
- Intelligent route generation: discovery and search of correlation between shared resources vol.26, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/dac.2331
- A prediction and auto-execution system of smartphone application services based on user context-awareness vol.60, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysarc.2014.04.001
- Latency and Jitter Analysis for IEEE 802.11e Wireless LANs vol.2013, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/792529