- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Load Balancing and Network Adaptive Virtual Storage Service for Mobile Appliances
- Ong, Ivy (Dept. of Ubiquitous IT, Dongseo University) ;
- Lim, Hyo-Taek (Dept. of Computer and Information Engineering, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2010.09.06
- Accepted : 2011.01.11
- Published : 2011.03.31
With the steady growth of mobile technology and applications, demand for more storage in mobile devices has also increased. A lightweight block-level protocol, Internet Advanced Technology Attachment (iATA), has been developed to deliver a cost-effective storage network solution for mobile devices to obtain more storage. This paper seeks to contribute to designing and implementing Load Balancing (LB), Network Monitoring (NM) and Write Replication (WR) modules to improve the protocol's scalability and data availability. LB and NM modules are invoked to collect system resources states and current network status at each associate node (server machine). A dynamic weight factor is calculated based on the collected information and sent to a referral server. The referral server is responsible to analyze and allocate the most ideal node with the least weight to serve the client. With this approach, the client can avoid connecting to a heavily loaded node that may cause delays in subsequent in-band I/O operations. Write replication is applied to the remaining nodes through a WR module by utilizing the Unison file synchronization program. A client initially connected to node IP A for write operations will have no hindrances in executing the relevant read operations at node IP B in new connections. In the worst case scenario of a node crashing, data remain recoverable from other functioning nodes. We have conducted several benchmark tests and our results are evaluated and verified in a later section.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Chee-Min Yeoh, Yu-Shu They, Hoon-Jae Lee and Hyotaek Lim, “Design and Implementation of iATA on Windows CE Platform: An ATA-based Virtual Storage System,” Proceedings of the WRI International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing (CMC), Vol.3, January, 2009, pp.85-89.
- Paul Werstein, Hailing Situ and Zhiyi Huang, “Load Balancing in a Cluster Computer,” Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies (PDCAT), December, 2006, pp.569-577.
- Jinwei Cao, Kevin M. McNeill, Dongsong Zhang and Jay F. Nunamaker, Jr., “An Overview of Network-Aware Applications for Mobile Multimedia Delivery,” Proceedings of the 37th HICSS Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Vol.9, 2004.
- Jung Hun Kang, Wonil Choi and Myong-Soon Park, “Efficient Load Balancing Method for Mobile Applicable iSCSI-based Remote Storage Service,” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Software Engineering Research, Management and Applications, August, 2006, pp.155-161.
- Li Chen and Ning Ma, “Dynamic Load-Balancing in iSCSI Systems Based on a Feedback Control Mechanism,” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), October, 2008, pp.1-6.
- Jurg Bolliger and Thomas Gross, “A Framework-Based Approach to the Development of Network-Aware Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.24, May, 1998, pp.376-390. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.685260
- Jurg Bolliger and Thomas Gross, “Bandwidth Monitoring for Network-Aware Applications,” Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, 2001, pp.241-251.
- Nancy Miller and Peter Steenkiste, “Collecting Network Status Information for Network-Aware Applications,” Proceedings of the 19th Annual Joint Conference of IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, Vol.2, 2000, pp.641-650. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2000.832238
- M. Toshiya, N. Kazuo, M. Shouji and M. Hiroyuki, QoS Monitoring System, 2002. Yokogawa Technical Report No.34.
- Ja-Won Seo, Hae-Sun Shin and Myong-Soon Park, “Optimizing iSCSI Parameters for Improving the Performance of iSCSI based Mobile Appliance in Wireless Network,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Networking, International Conference on Systems and International Conference on Mobile Communications and Learning Technologies (ICNICONSMCL), 2006.
- Copyright Benjamin C. Pierce, “Unison File Synchronizer,” [online], http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/docs.html
- Copyright Wizcode LLC., “Pocket Mechanical Professional Tool,” [online], http://www.wizcode.com/products/view/pocket_mechanic_professional
- Kelvin Ng and Wilson Y.H. Wang, “Design and Implementation of Algorithm with Multichannel Load Balancing and Failover for Generic Storage Area Networks,” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Communications Systems (ICCS), September, 2004, pp.311-315.
- Yolanda Villate, Arantza Illarramendi and Evaggelia Pitoura, “Keep Your Data Safe and Available While Roaming,” ACM Trans. Mobile Networks and Applications, Vol.7, No.4, 2002, pp.315-328. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015467429243
- Secure and efficient data retrieval over encrypted data using attribute-based encryption in cloud storage vol.39, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2012.11.002
- Mobile cloud computing framework for a pervasive and ubiquitous environment vol.64, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-011-0681-6
- AdaptIDC: Adaptive inter-domain communication in virtualized environments vol.39, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2012.12.005
- High performance web server architecture with Kernel-level caching vol.16, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-012-0203-1