- Volume 19 Issue 1
The Effect of Cooling Efficiency on Fouling by EGR Cooler Internal Shape
EGR Cooler 내부 형상에 따른 Fouling이 냉각 성능에 미치는 영향
- Nam, Youn-Woo (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Oh, Kwang-Chul (Environmental energy system R&D Center, KATECH) ;
- Lee, Chun-Hwan (Environmental energy system R&D Center, KATECH) ;
- Lee, Chun-Beom (Environmental energy system R&D Center, KATECH) ;
- Lee, Won-Nam (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Dankook University)
- 남연우 (단국대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 오광철 (자동차부품연구원 환경에너지시스템연구센터) ;
- 이천환 (자동차부품연구원 환경에너지시스템연구센터) ;
- 이춘범 (자동차부품연구원 환경에너지시스템연구센터) ;
- 이원남 (단국대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2010.03.22
- Accepted : 2010.07.19
- Published : 2011.01.01
Understanding the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler fouling in diesel engine is important factor in the durability characteristic of a EGR system. We develope a test rig and PM feeder using carbon black to examine the effect of fouling on EGR cooler devices those were consisted of flat and shell & tube type. The EGR cooler fouling process is a complex interaction involving heat exchanger shape, boundary condition, constitutes, chemistry and operating mode. As the soot deposited to EGR cooler, these formed a thin deposit layer that was less heat exchange than the fresh status of tube enclosing the exhaust gas, resulting in lower heat exchange effectiveness in both type coolers. But these deposits caused different results in pressure drop, it is increased in flat type, but decreased in Shell & tube type of EGR cooler. A cause was estimated from a change of the flow structure and a decrease of contact area as the EGR cooler fouling.
Grant : Euro-6대응 차세대 EGR/후처리 복합시스템 특성 및 적합성 평가
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Dieselnet, Emission Standards, www.diesel.net.
- L. Chanary, H. Angstrom, L. Andersson, B. Palm and L. Ostling, " CFD Optimazation of an EGR Cooler for Heavy-duty Diesel Engine," SAE 2001-01-1755, 2001.
- A. Stoltz, K. Fleischer, W. Knecht, J. Nies and R. Strahle, "Development of EGR Coolers for Truck and Passenger Car Application," SAE 2001-01-1748, 2001.
- S. Andersson, C. Akerlund and M. Blomquist, "Low Pressure EGR Calibration Strategies for Reliable Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration on HDD Engines," SAE2002-01-2780, 2002.
- S. K. Singh, A. K. Agarwal and M. Sharma, "Experimental Investigations of Heavy Metal Addition in Lubricating Oil and Soot Deposition in an EGR Operated Engine," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.26, pp.259-266, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.05.004
- A. Maiboom, X. Tauzia and J. Hétet, "Experimental Study of Various Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) on Combustion and Emissions of an Automotive Direct Injection Diesel Engine," Energy, Vol.33, Issue 1, pp.22-34, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2007.08.010
- J. Hoard, M. Abarham, D. Styles, J. M. Giuliano, C. S. Sluder and John M. E. Storey, "Diesel EGR Cooler Fouling," SAE 2008-01- 2475, 2008.
- R. Zhan, S. T. Eakle, J. W. Miller and J. W. Ant hony, "EGR System Fouling Control," 2008-01-0066, 2008.
- C. S. Sluder, J. Storey, S. Lewis, D. Styles, J. Giuliano and J. Hoard, "Hydrocarbons and Particulate Matter in EGR Cooler Deposits: Effects of Gas Flow Rate, Coolant Temperature, and Oxidation Catalyst," SAE 2008-01-2467, 2008.
- R. Zhang, F. Charles, D. Ewing, J. S. Chang and J. S. Cotton, "Effect of Diesel Soot Deposition on the Performance of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Devices," SAE2004-01- 0122, 2004.
- J. W. Girard, L. D. Gratz, J. H. Johnson, S. T. Bagley and D. G. Leddy, "A Study of the Character and Deposition Rates of Sulfur Species in the EGR Cooling System of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE1999-01- 3566, 1999.
- A. M. Kreso, J. H. Johnson, L. D. Gratz, S. T. Bagley and D. G. Leddy, "A Study of The Vapor- and Particle-phase Sulfur Species in the Heavy-duty Diesel Engine EGR Cooler," SAE 981423, 1998.
- M. J. Lance, C. S. Sluder, H. Wang and J. M. E. Storey, "Direct Measurement of EGR Cooler Deposit Thermal Properties for Improved," SAE 2009-01-1461, 2009.
- C. H. Sohn, "Heat Transfer Analysis of EGR Cooler with Different Tube Shape," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.15, No.5, pp.112-117, 2007.
- H. S. Heo, J. P. Won and K. S. Park, "Evaluation of Thermal Fluid Characteristics for EGR Cooler with Shell & Tube Type," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.11, No.6, pp.44-50, 2003.
- Y. W. Nam, W. Lee, K. C. Oh and C. B. Lee, "The Application of Dump Combustor for Evaluation of After-Treatment System," KOSCO, Vol.12, No.3, pp.16-23, 2007.
- Y. W. Nam, K. C. Oh, C. H. Lee and C. B. Lee, "Diesel Exhaust Emission Simulating Based on Soot and SOF from Soot Generator," Annual Conference of KSAE, pp.568-574, 2008.
- A. F. Mills, Basic Heat and Mass Transfer, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, pp.669-685, 1999.