- Volume 28 Issue 5
Characteristics of Suicides among University Students in Korea: An Analysis of News Reports
한국 대학생 자살의 특성: 보도기사를 중심으로
- Received : 2011.11.30
- Accepted : 2011.12.29
- Published : 2011.12.31
Objectives: This study is to gain an understanding of the characteristics of suicides committed by university students in Korea by assessing news reports. Methods: A total of 97 news reports on university student suicides on daily newspapers and TV newscasts from 2000 to 2011 are included in this study. Analyses were performed on sociodemographic characteristics of suicided university students and temporal and other characteristics of the suicides. Results: Suicide rate was higher among males than females. The most frequently used method of suicide was jumping off while the most common place was the students’ residence. Issues related to academic and financial problems topped as the reasons for suicide. There were no differences in the reasons for committing suicide by school year and enrollment, but the location and season of committing suicide differed by reasons for suicide. Conclusions: Implication of this study, discussion on the results and suggestions for suicide prevention are discussed.
Supported by : 나사렛대학교
- Abdel-Khalek, A. M., & Lester, D. (2007). Religiosity, Health and Psychopathology in Two Culture: Kuwait and USA. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 10(5), 537-550. https://doi.org/10.1080/13674670601166505
- Barry, D. Garfinkel. (1998). Responding to Adolescent Suicide. Phi Delta Kappa Educational Foundation.
- Bonner. R. L., & Rich, A. R. (1998). A Perspective Investigation of Suicidal Ideation in College Students: A Test of a Model. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 18, 245-258.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2007). Suicide trends among youths and adult aged 10-24 years-United States, 1990-2004. MMWR. 56, 905-908.
- Cho, H., & Shin, H. C. (2009). The Influence of Stress on Suicide Ideation: Meaning in Life as Mediator or Moderator. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 21(4), 1011-1026.
- Choi, S. O., & Kim, S. N., (2011). Suicidal Ideation and Spirituality of College Students. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 17(2), 190-199. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.190
- Choi, W. K., (2004). A Study on the Socio-Structural Cause of Youth Suicide. Social Welfare Policy, 18, 5-30.
- Conwell, Y., Pearson, J., & DeRenzo, E. Z. (1996). Indirect self destructive behavior among elderly patients in nurshing homes: A research agenda, American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 4, 152-163. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019442-199621420-00007
- De Man, A. F., & Leduc, C. P. (1995). Suicidal ideation in high school students: depression and other correlates. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51(2), 173-181. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(199503)51:2<173::AID-JCLP2270510205>3.0.CO;2-R
- Durkheim, E. (1897). Le suicide. F. Alcan, Paris. English translation by J A Spalding, 1951, Free Press, Collier-MacMillan, Toronto, Canada.
- Fergusson, D. N., Woodward, L. J., & Horwood, L. J. (2000). Risk factors and life processes associated with the onset of suicidal behavior during adolescence and early adulthood. Psychological Medicine, 3(1), 23-39.
- Ha, J. H., & An, S. H. (2008). The Verification of a Structural Relationship Model of Suicidal Ideation to Stress, Coping Styles, Perfectionism, Depression, and Impulsivity. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 20(4), 1149-1171.
- Hamilton, T., & Schweitzer, R. D. (2000). The cost of being perfect: Perfectionism and suicide ideation in university students. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 34(5), 829-835. https://doi.org/10.1080/j.1440-1614.2000.00801.x
- Haas, A. P., Hendin, H., & Mann, J. J. (2003). Suicide in college Students. The American Behavioral Scientist, 46(9), 1224-1240. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764202250666
- Hong, S. M., & Lee, G, E. (2002). The Mental Health of 2002 Freshmen. Journal of Student Guidance, 8, 35-46.
- Kim, H. C. (2006). A Study on the Characteristics of Adult Suicide and Suicidal Type. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 12(1), 15-33.
- Kim, H. C., & Sohn, Y. M. (2006). A Study on the Characteristics of Elderly Suicide and Suicidal Type. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 12(2), 1-19.
- Kim, H. J., & Jung, M. A. (2010). Original Articles : Effect of Family Function and Self-Efficacy on Suicidal Ideation in University Students. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 16(1), 43-50. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.043
- Kim, J. J. (2009). An Analysis of Variables Related to University Student's Suicidal Ideation: Regarding Effect of Suicidal Attempt Experience, Mental Health, Psychosocial Problems, Mental Health & Social Work, 32, 413-437.
- Kim, K. H. (2007). November 8, 2011, Retrieved from Web site: http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=001&aid=0001767529
- Kim, K. W., & Chun, M. H. (2000). Study on the teenage suicide. Journal of the Korean society of child welfare, 9, 127-152.
- Kim, Y. B. (2010). An Analysis on the Change of Health Status, Health Behavior, and Influencing Factors Among American College and University Students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 27(4), 153-163.
- Kim, Y. S., Jang, C. M., Joo, J. Y., Gang, J. Y., & Kim, Y. H. (2009). A Survey on the Present States of Freshman in 2009. Journal of Student Guidance, 22, 97-167.
- Korean National Statistical Office. (2011). Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics 2010. Dajeon. Korean National Statistical Office.
- Kralik, K., & Danforth, W. (1992). Identification of coping ideation and strategies preventing suicidality in a college-age sample. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 22, 167-186.
- Lee, G. Y., Jang, Y. G., & Ahn, H. M. (2000). A Study on the Campus Life Adjustment and Satisfaction Index of Seoul National University of Education Male Students. Journal of Student Guidance, 26, 111-145.
- Lee, H. J., & Kim, M. H. (2007). A pathmodel for self-identity and hopelessness to suicidal ideation of college students. Korean journal of youth studies, 14(3), 243-264.
- Lee, H. S. et, al. (2008). Understandings of Suicide and Prevention. Hakjisa.
- Lee, J. S., & Kim, T. H. (2001). A Report on the Survey Data for the Actual Conditions of the New Students in the Year of 2001. Journal of Student Guidance Research, 33(1), 1-34.
- Min, Y. K. (2005). Evaluation on Suicidal Risk Factors and Suicidal Thought of College Students. Journal of student guidance, 31, 31-52.
- Niederkrotenthaler, T et, al. (2010). Role of media reports in completed and prevented suicide: Werther v. Papageno effects, The British Journal of Psychiatry, 197, 234-243. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.109.074633
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2011). 2010 OECD Health Data, Paris: OECD.
- Park, Y. S. (2011). November 8, 2011, Retrieved from Web site: http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=001&aid=0005004825
- Sherer, M. (1985). Depression and Suicidal ideation in college students. Psychological Report, 57, 1061-1062. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1985.57.3f.1061
- Sohn, J. N. (2007). Original Articles : Discriminating Power of Suicidal Ideation by Life Stress, Coping Strategy, and Depression in College Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(3), 267-275.
- Taliaferro, L. A., Rienzo, A. A., Pigg, R. M., Miller, M. D., & Dodd, V. J. (2009). Spiritual well-being and suicidal ideation among college students. Journal of American College Health, 8(1), 83-90.
- Yang, B., & Clum, G. A. (1994). Life stress, social support, and problem-solving skills predictive of depressive symptoms, hopelessness, and suicide ideation in an Asian student population: A Test of a Model. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 24, 127-139.
- You, S. M., & Lee, S. Y. (2008). Relationship of Perceived Stress, Maladaptive Perfectionism, Suicidal Ideation: Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Social Problem Solving and Attachment Styles. Korean Journal of Psychological and School Issues, 5(2), 119-136.
- Zhang, J., & Jin, S. (1996). Determinants od Suicide Ideation: A Comparison of Chinese and American College Students. Adolescence, 31(122), 451-468.