- Volume 35 Issue 4
GH Increases the Progesterone at Peri-estrus Stage in Mice Co-injected with PMSG for Superovulation
- Kim, Young-Gee (School of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ryoo, Zae-Young (School of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Young-Sik (School of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2011.12.09
- Accepted : 2011.12.19
- Published : 2011.12.31
Growth hormone (GH) is obligatory for growth and development. But, there is controversy on the GH effect about reproductive processes of sexual differentiation, pubertal maturation, gonadal steroidogenesis, gametogenesis and ovulation. This study was conducted to investigate the effect of GH on estrus, ovulation and embryo implantation. The results obtained were as follows. GH stimulated to increase estrus rate (p<0.05), pregnancy rate (p<0.05), and total fetus number in mice treated for superovulation. Also, the correlation between GH and steroids, E2 and P4, at peri-estrus stage/ peri-ovulation stage/ peri-implantation stage of the superovulation-induced mice was examined. Consequently, GH co-injected with PMSG especially increased P4 level (p<0.05) at peri-estrus stage of superovulationinduced mice. In conclusion, GH co-treatment in superovulation system boosted the rate of estrus, pregnancy and total fetus by increasing progesterone level at peri-estrus stage of superovulation-induced mice.
- Apa R, Lanzone A, Miceli F, Caruso A, Mancuso S, Canipari R (1994): Growth hormone induction of rat granulosa cell tissue plasminogen activator expression and progesterone synthesis. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 99:153-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/0303-7207(94)90003-5
- Carlsson B, Bergh C, Bentham J, Olsson JH, Norman MR, Billig H, Roos P, Hillensjo T (1992): Expression of functional growth hormone receptors in human granulosa cells. Hum Reprod 7:1205-1209.
- Cecim M, Kerr J, Bartke A (1995): Effects of bovine growth hormone (bGH) transgene expression or bGH treatment on reproductive functions in female mice. Biol Reprod 5: 1144-1148.
- de Ziegler D, Streuli I, Meldrum DR, Chapron C (2011): The value of growth hormone supplements in ART for poor ovarian responders. Fertil Steril 96:1069-1076. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2011.09.049
- Danilovich N, Wernsing D, Coschigano KT, Kopchick JJ, Bartke A (1999): Deficits in female reproductive function in GH-R-KO mice: role of IGF-I. Endocrinology 140:2637-2640. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.140.6.2637
- Danilovich N, Bartke A, Winters TA (2000): Ovarian follicle apoptosis in bovine growth hormone transgenic mice. Biol Reprod 62:103-107. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod62.1.103
- Folch J, Ramon JP, Cocero MJ, Alabart JL, Beckers JF (2001): Exogenous growth hormone improves the number of transferable embryos in superovulated ewes. Theriogenology 9:1777-1785.
- Graham JD, Clarke CL (1997): Physiological action of progesterone in target tissues. Endoc Rev 18:502- 519. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.18.4.502
- Harvey S, Hull KL (2001): Growth hormone: roles in female reproduction. J Endocrinol 168:1-23. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1680001
- Hassan HA, Azab H, Rahman AA, Nafee TM (2001): Effect of growth hormone on in vitro maturation of germinal vesicle of human oocytes retrieved from small antral follicles. J Assist Reprod Genet 18:417- 420. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016630603560
- Hsu CJ, Hammond JM (1987): Concomitant effects of growth hormone on secretion of insulin-like growth factor-I and progesterone by cultured porcine granulosa cells. Endocrinology 121:1343-1348. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-121-4-1343
- Kolibianakis EM, Venetis CA, Diedrich K, Tarlatzis BC, Griesinger G (2009): Addition of growth hormone to gonadotrophins in ovarian stimulation of poor responders treated by in-vitro fertilization: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update 15:613-622. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmp026
- Koch JM, Wilmoth TA, Wilson ME (2010): Periconceptional growth hormone treatment alters fetal growth and development in lambs. J Anim Sci 88: 1619-1625. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2392
- Montag M, Koll B, Holmes P, van der Ven H (2000): Significance of the number of embryonic cells and the state of the zona pellucida for hatching of mouse blastocysts in vitro versus in vivo. Biol Reprod 62:1738-1744. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod62.6.1738
- Nakamura E, Otsuka F, Inagaki K, Miyoshi T, Matsumoto Y, Ogura K, Tsukamoto N, Takeda M, Makino H (2011): Mutual regulation of growth hormone and bone morphogenetic protein system in steroidogenesis by rat granulosa cells. Endocrinology 2011 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Pereira GR, Lorenzo PL, Carneiro GF, Ball BA, Gonçalves PB, Pegoraro LM, Bilodeau-Goeseels S, Kastelic JP, Casey PJ, Liu IK (2011): The effect of growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor-I(IGF-I) on in vitro maturation of equine oocytes. Zygote 28:1-8.
- Rieger D, Walton J (1991): The effect of co-treatment with recombinant bovine somatotropin on plasma progesterone concentration and number of embryos collected from superovulated holstein heifers. Theriogenology 35:863-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(91)90298-R
- Schneider J, Lee PA (1980): Decreased LH response to the second of consecutive day luteinizing hormone releasing hormone (LHRH) in fusions among patients with constitutional delay of puberty: a phenomenon of pubertal maturation? Clin Endocrinol (Oxford) 12:467-471. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.1980.tb02737.x
- Sirotkin AV, Makarevich AV (1999): GH regulates secretory activity and apoptosis in cultured bovine granulosa cells through the activation of the cAMP/ protein kinase A system. J Endocrinol 163:317-327. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1630317
- Tapanainen J, Martikainen H, Voutilainen R, Orava M, Ruokonen A, Ronnberg L (1992): Effect of growth hormone administration on human ovarian function and steroidogenic gene expression in granulosa- luteal cells. Fertil Steril 5:726-732.
- Thatcher WW, Moreira F, Santos JEP, Mattos RC, Lopes FL, Pancarci SM, Risco CA (2001): Effects of hormonal treatments on reproductive performance and embryo production. Theriogenology 55:75-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00447-7
- Wathes DC, Perks CM, Davis AJ, Denning-Kendall PA (1995): Regulation of insulin-like growth factor-I and progesterone synthesis by insulin and growth hormone in the bovine ovary. Biol Reprod 53:882- 889. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod53.4.882
- Wilson ME, Tanner JM (1991): Long-term effects of recombinant human growth hormone treatment on skeletal maturation and growth in female rhesus monkeys with normal pituitary function. J Endocrinol 130:435-441. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1300435
- Yovich JL, Stanger JD (2010): Growth hormone supplementation improves implantation and pregnancy productivity rates for poor-prognosis patients undertaking IVF. Reprod Biomed Online 21:37-49 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rbmo.2010.03.013