- Volume 19 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Shikonin Pigments and Antioxidant activity of the Roots from Lithospermum erythrorhizon according to the Different Growth Stages and Areas of Cultivation
지치의 생육시기 및 재배지역별 시코닌계 색소 함량 및 항산화 활성
- Kim, Geum-Soog ;
- Park, Chun-Geun ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Hee ;
- Choi, Jehun ;
- Lee, Seung-Eun ;
- Noh, Hyung-Jun ;
- Lee, Jeong-Hoon ;
- Kim, Seung-Yu
- Received : 2011.10.20
- Accepted : 2011.12.01
- Published : 2011.12.30
This study was conducted to evaluate the quality variation of Lithospermum radix on the pigment contents and antioxidant activities according to different growth stages and areas of cultivation. Acetylshikonin contents showed the tendency to decrease gradually from the middle of July (0.28%) to the end of August (0.05%) and then the content was increased again to the end of October (0.25%). Shikonin content was detected as small amount of about 0.009% during the period. The weight of plants was increased from the end of September to the end of October and showed the highest value as 19.8 g on October 25. ROS scavenging activity was the highest in the early of October as
Acetylshikonin;Antioxidant Activity;Lithospermum erythrorhizon;ROS Scavenging Activity
- Ahn YH, Jin YH, Choe CY, Lee MK and Lee S. (2009). Ecological characteristics of Lithospermum erythrorhizon population in habitats. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy. 40:289-297.
- Beckman JS, Beckman TW, Chen J, Marshall PA and Freeman BA. (1990). Apparent hydroxyl radical production by peroxynitrite: implications for endothelial injury from nitric oxide and superoxide. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 87:1620-1624.
- Biesalski HK. (2002). Free radical theory of aging. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 5:5-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/00075197-200201000-00002
- Chang YS, Kuo SC, Weng SH, Jan SC, Ko FN and Teng CM. (1993). Inhibition of platelet aggregation by shikonin derivatives isolated from Arnebia euchromoma. Planta Medica. 59:401-404. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-959718
- Han J, Weng X and Bi K. (2008). Antioxidants from a Chinese medicinal herb-Lithospermum erythrorhizon. Food Chemistry. 106:2-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.01.031
- Hisamichi SJ and Yoshizaki F. (1982). Structures of new minor pigments and isolation of two isomers of shikonin derivatives from Lithospermum erythrorhizon Sieb. et Zucc. Shoyakugaku Zasshi, 36:1541-1559.
- Hwang SY, Hwang BY, Kang SS, Kim CM, Park JH, Bae KH, Son KH, Lee SH, Chang SY, Kan SJ, Ro JS and Lee KS. (2000). Isolation and quantitative analysis of acetylshikonin from Lithospermi Radix. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy. 31:295-299.
- Jang JR, Hwan SY and Lim SY. (2011). Inhibitory effect of extracts of Platycodon grandiflorum (the ballon flower) on oxidation and nitric oxide production. Korean Journal of Food Preservation. 18:65-71. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.1.065
- Jeong HS, Han JG, Ha JH, Kim Y, Oh SH, Kim SS, Jeong MH, Choi GP, Park UY and Lee HY. (2009). Antioxidant activities and skin-whitening effects of nano-encapsuled water extract from Rubus coreanus Miquel. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 17:83-89.
- Kang HS, Chung HY, Son KH, Kang SS and Choi JS. (2003). Scavenging effect of Korean medicinal plants on the peroxynitrite and total ROS. Natural Product Sciences. 9:73-79.
- Kim GS, Jeong TS, Kwon BM, Kim YO, Cha SW, Song KS and Baek NI. (2009). Inhibitory effect of acetylshikonin from Lithospermum erythrorhizon on LDL oxidation and FPTase activity. Journal of Applied Biological Chemistry. 52:221-225. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2009.038
- Lebel CP, Ischiropoulos H and Bondy SC. (1992). Evaluation of the probe 2',7'-dichlorofluorescin as an indicator of reactive oxygen species formation and oxidative stress. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 5:227-231. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx00026a012
- Lee BH, Baik DS, Yun SU, Shin JM, Kim JH, Yun SY, Kim BH, Kim SB, Shin JE and Song IH. (2007). Peripheral nitric oxide activity in patients with liver cirrhosis. The Korean Journal of Medicine. 73:251-257.
- Lee HJ, Lee HJ, Magesh V, Nam DW, Lee EO, Ahn KS, Jung MH, Ahn KS, Kim DK, Kim JY and Kim SH. (2008) Shikonin, acetylshikonin, and isobutyroylshikonin inhibit VEGF-induced angiogenesis and suppress tumor growth in Lewis lung carcinoma-bearing mice. Yakugaku Zasshi. 128:1681-1688. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi.128.1681
- Lee JW and Do JH. (2000). Determination of total phenolic compounds from the fruit of Rubus coreanum and antioxidative activity. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 29:943.
- Lee KS, Ahn DK, Shin MK and Kim CM. (1998). The encyclopedia of oriental herbal medicine. Jungdam Pubishing Co. Seoul, Korea. p. 4657-4663.
- Tiana L, Wang Z, Wu H, Wang S, Wang Y, Wang Y, Xu J, Wang L, Qi F, Fang M, Yu D and Fang X. (2011). Evaluation of the anti-neuraminidase activity of the traditional Chinese medicines and determination of the anti-influenza a virus effects of the neuraminidase inhibitory TCMs in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 137:534-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.06.002
- Oh HI, Park HB, Ju MS, Jung SY and Oh MS. (2010a). Comparative study of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory activities between Curcumae longae radix and Curcumae longae rhizoma. Korean Journal of Herbology. 25:83-91.
- Oh YJ, Seo HR, YM Choi and DS Jung. (2010b). Evaluation of antioxidant activity of the extracts from the aerial parts of Cnidium officinale Makino. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 18:373-378.
- Ordoudi SA, Tsermentseli SK, Nenadis N, Assimopoulou AN, Tsimidou MZ and Papageorgiou VP. (2011). Structure-radical scavenging activity relationship of alkannin/shikonin derivatives. Food Chemistry. 124:171-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.06.004
- Park JY, Lee SL, Han S, Kim HM, Lee JM, Ahn YH, Lee SY and Lee SH. (2009a). Phytochemical constituents from the seeds of Lithospermum erythrorhizon. Natural Product Sciences. 15:181-184.
- Park JY, Lee SL, Han S, Kim HM, Lee JM and Lee SH. (2009b). A paraben derivative from the seeds of Lithospermum erythrorhizon. Journal of Korean Society Applied Biological Chemistry. 52:643-645. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.107
- Sekine T, Masumizu T, Maitani Y and Nagai T. (1998). Evaluation of superoxide anion radical scavenging activity of shikonin by electron spin resonance. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 174:133-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(98)00256-7
Staniforth V, Wang SY, Shyur LF and Yang NS. (2004). Shikonins, phytocompounds from Lithospermum erythrorhizon, inhibit the transcriptional activation of human TNF-
$\alpha$promoter in vivo. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 279:5877-5885. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M309185200
- Tabata M, Tsukada M and Fukui H. (1982). Antimicrobial activity of quinone derivatives from Echiumlycopsis callus cultures. Planta Medica. 44:234-236. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-971456
- Tanaka S, Tajima M, Tsukada M and Tabata M. (1986). A comparative study on anti-inflammatory activities of the enantiomers, shikonin and alkannin. Journal of Natural Products. 49:466-469. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50045a014
- Weng XC, Xiang GQ, Jiang AL, Liu YP, Wu LL, Dong XW and Duan S. (2000). Antioxidant properties of components extracted from puccoon (Lithospermum erythrorhizon Sieb. et Zucc.). Food Chemistry. 69:143-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00236-8
- Yu BP. (1996). Aging and oxidative stress: modulation by dietary restriction. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 21:651-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00162-1
- Zhang J, Dawson VL, Dwaon TM and Snyder SH. (1994). Nitric oxide activation of poly(ADP-ribose) synthetase in neurotoxicity. Science. 263:687-689. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.8080500
- Lithospermum erythrorhizonExtract Protects Keratinocytes and Fibroblasts Against Oxidative Stress vol.17, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2013.3088
- Identification of Fungal Pathogen Causing Seedling Rot of Lithospermum erythrorhizon and Study on the Optimum Growing Temperature for Decreasing of the Seedling Rot vol.21, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2013.21.1.27
- Effects of Supercritical Fluid Extract, Shikonin and Acetylshikonin from Lithospermum erythrorhizon on Chondrocytes and MIA-Induced Osteoarthritis in Rats vol.21, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2013.21.6.466
- Preparation Method of Indigo Standard Solution and Variation of Indigo Contents in Blue Dye Extract from Breeding Lines of Persicaria tinctoria H. Gross vol.21, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2013.21.3.213
- Studies on Seed Germination Characteristics and Patterns of Protein Expression of Lithospermum erythrorhizon by Plant Growth Regulators and Seed Primings vol.22, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2014.22.6.435
- Protective Effect of Mulberry and Lithospermum erythrorhizon Extracts on Anti-aging against Photodamage vol.42, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1744
- Variation of Yield and Loganin Content According to Harvesting Stage of Dipsacus asperoides Wall vol.24, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2016.24.2.110
- Potential of Pseudoshikonin I Isolated from Lithospermi Radix as Inhibitors of MMPs in IL-1β-Induced SW1353 Cells vol.17, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17081350
Supported by : 농촌진흥청