- Volume 17 Issue 4
Analysis of the Components of Guibitang and Fermented Guibi-tang and their Ability to Inhibit Angiotensin-converting Enzyme
- Liang, Chun (TKM Converging Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Yun, Na-Young (TKM Converging Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Jung, Sang-Won (TKM Converging Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Kim, Dong-Seon (TKM Converging Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Lee, Young-Jae (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Ma, Jin-Yeul (TKM Converging Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine)
- Received : 2011.09.18
- Accepted : 2011.11.28
- Published : 2011.12.30
Guibi-tang is a traditional medicine used for the treatment of colds. We investigated the levels of several compounds in Guibi-tang before and after fermentation with Lactobacillus and tested their ability to inhibit angiotensin-converting enzyme. Six known compounds (decursin, decursinol angelate, nodakenin, liquiritin, formononetin, and 6-gingerol) and 2 unidentified compounds were detected in Guibi-tang (GB) and fermented Guibi-tang (FGB) by an established HPLC-DAD method. The levels of the 6 known compounds were decreased after fermentation. FGB showed more potent inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzyme activity than GB. In conclusion, fermentation with Lactobacillus affects the content of several compounds in GB and improves its angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory activity.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine
- Erdos, E.G., Angiotensin-converting enzyme. Circul. Res. 36, 247-255 (1975). https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.36.2.247
- Hernaandez-Ledesma, B., Martian-Aalvarez, P.J., and Pueyo, E., Assessment of the spect-rophotometric method for determination of angiotensin-converting-enzyme activity: influence of the inhibition type. J. Agricul. Food Chem. 51, 4175-4179 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1021/jf034148o
- Skeggs, I.T., Kahan, J.E., and Sumway, N.P., The preparation and function of the angiotensin-converting enzyme. J. Experimet. Med. 103, 295-299 (1956). https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.103.3.295
- Kim, J.-H., Lee, W.-J., Cho, Y.-W., and Kim. K.-Y., Storage-life and palatability extension of Betula platyphylla Sap using lactic acid bacteria fermentation. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38(6), 787-794 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.787
- Doh, E.S., Chang, J.P., Lee, K.H., and Seong, N.S., Ginsenoside change and antioxidation activity of fermented ginseng. Kor. J. Med. Crop Sci. 18(4), 255-266 (2010).
- Hyon, J.-S., Kang, S.-My., Han, S.-W., Kang, M.-C., Oh, M.-C., Oh, C.-K., and Kim, D.-W., Jeon, Y.-J., and Kim, S.-H., Flavonoid Component changes and antioxidant activities of fermented Citrus grandis Osbeck Peel. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38(10), 1310-1316 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.10.1310
- Chen, X., Fruehauf, J., Goldsmith, J.D., Xu, H., Katchar, K.K., Koon, H.W., Zhao, D., Kokkotou, E.G., Pothoulakis, C., and Kelly, C.P., Saccharomyces boulardii inhibits EGF receptor signaling and intestinal tumor growth in Apc(min) mice. Gastroenterol. 137(3), 914-923 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2009.05.050
- Goldin, B.R., Health benefits of probiotics. Br. J. Nutr. 80, 203-207 (1998).
- Cushman, D.W. and Cheung, H.S., Spectrometric assay and properties of angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem. Pharmacol. 20, 1637-1648 (1971). https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9