- Volume 5 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The estimated daily manganese intake of Korean children aged 11-12
- Bae, Yun-Jung (Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Hanbuk University) ;
- Choi, Mi-Kyeong (Department of Food & Nutrition, College of Industrial Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2011.05.16
- Accepted : 2011.09.02
- Published : 2011.12.31
The purpose of this study was to estimate the daily manganese (Mn) intake of Korean children. This study was done using a three-day dietary intake survey of 257 Korean children (boys 123; girls 134). The Mn intake values were calculated based on a database that provides the Mn content of the frequently consumed Korean foods, alongside the food composition table provided by the Korean National Rural Living Science Institute. The average age, height, weight and body mass index of our subjects were 11.9 years, 155.4 cm, 48.9 kg and 20.2 kg/
- Keen CL, Ensunsa JL, Watson MH, Baly DL, Donovan SM, Monaco MH, Clegg MS. Nutritional aspects of manganese from experimental studies. Neurotoxicology 1999;20:213-23.
- Taylor PN, Patterson HH, Klimis-Tavantzis DJ. A fluorescence double-quenching study of native lipoproteins in an animal model of manganese deficiency. Biol Trace Elem Res 1997;60:69-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02783310
- Clegg MS, Donovan SM, Monaco MH, Baly DL, Ensunsa JL, Keen CL. The influence of manganese deficiency on serum IGF-1 and IGF binding proteins in the male rat. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1998;219:41-7. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-219-44314
- Lee B, Pine M, Johnson L, Rettori V, Hiney JK, Dees WL. Manganese acts centrally to activate reproductive hormone secretion and pubertal development in male rats. Reprod Toxicol 2006;22:580-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reprotox.2006.03.011
- Bae YJ, Kim MH. Manganese supplementation improves mineral density of the spine and femur and serum osteocalcin in rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 2008;124:28-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-008-8119-6
- Kondakis XG, Makris N, Leotsinidis M, Prinou M, Papapetropoulos T. Possible health effects of high manganese concentration in drinking water. Arch Environ Health 1989;44:175-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1989.9935883
- Menezes-Filho JA, Novaes Cde O, Moreira JC, Sarcinelli PN, Mergler D. Elevated manganese and cognitive performance in school-aged children and their mothers. Environ Res 2011;111:156-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2010.09.006
- Kim EY, Bae YJ, Kim SJ, Choi MK. Estimation of manganese daily intake among adults in Korea. Nutr Res Pract 2008;2:22-5. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2008.2.1.22
- Aung NN, Yoshinaga J, Takahashi JI. Dietary intake of toxic and essential trace elements by the children and parents living in Tokyo Metropolitan Area, Japan. Food Addit Contam 2006;23: 883-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030600699643
- Zachwieja J, Dobrowolska-Zachwieja A, Bobkowski W, Strzykała K, Niklas A, Zaniew M, Maciejewski J. Dietary antioxidants and total antioxidant status in children with nephrotic syndrome. Pol Merkur Lekarski 2001;10:237-40.
- The Korean Pediatric Society. Body Growth Standard Value of Korean Pediatrics in 2007. Seoul: The Korean Pediatric Society; 2007. p.124.
- Choi MK, Kim EY. Analysis of manganese content in frequently consumed foods by Koreans. Korean J Nutr 2007;40:769-78.
- National Rural Resources Development Institute. Food Composition Tables, 7th ed. Seoul: Hyoil; 2006.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2010.
- Schroeder HA, Balassa JJ, Tipton IH. Essential trace metals in man: manganese. A study in homeostasis. J Chronic Dis 1966;19: 545-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(66)90094-4
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. Dietary Intake and Risk Assessment of Contaminants in Korea. Seoul: Korea Health Industry Development Institute; 2004.
- Goshima M, Murakami T, Nakagaki H, Shibata T, Sugiyama T, Kato K, Narita N, Nishimuta M. Iron, zinc, manganese and copper intakes in Japanese children aged 3 to 5 years. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2008;54:475-82.
- Gibson RS. Content and bioavailability of trace elements in vegetarian diets. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:1223S-1232S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.5.1223S
- Kim MH, Sung CJ. A comparative study of dietary mineral intake status and serum mineral concentrations of postmenopausal vegetarian women with those of the omnivores. Korean J Nutr 2005;38:151-60.
- Choi MK. Analysis of manganese contents in 30 Korean common foods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2003;32:1408-13. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.8.1408
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2009 National Health Statistics: The 4th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the third year. Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2010. p.232.
- A pilot duplicate diet study on manganese, selenium and chromium intakes in institutionalised children and adolescents from Guatemala vol.114, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114515003207
- Dietary intake of manganese and the risk of the metabolic syndrome in a Chinese population vol.116, pp.05, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516002580
- Hypomagnesemia and its relation with chronic low-grade inflammation in obesity vol.63, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9282.63.02.156