- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Design Concept of the First Mobile Satellite Laser Ranging System (ARGO-M) in Korea
Jo, Jung-Hyun;Park, In-Kwan;Lim, Hyung-Chul;Seo, Yoon-Kyoung;Yim, Hong-Seo;Lee, Jin-Young;Bang, Seung-Cheol;Nah, Ja-Kyoung;Kim, Kwang-Dong;Jang, Jeong-Gyun;Jang, Bi-Ho;Park, Jang-Hyun;Park, Jong-Uk
- Received : 2010.11.11
- Accepted : 2011.02.14
- Published : 2011.03.15
Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) launched the development project of two satellite laser ranging (SLR) systems in early 2008 after the government fund approval of the SLR systems in 2007. One mobile SLR system and one permanent SLR station will be developed with the completion of the project. The main objectives of these systems will be focused on the Space Geodetic researches. A system requirement review was held in the second half of the same year. Through the following system design review meeting and other design reviews, many unsolved technical and engineering issues would be discussed and resolved. However, the design of the mobile SLR system is a corner stone of whole project. The noticeable characteristics of Korea's first SLR system are 1) use of light weight main mirror, 2) design of compact optical assembly, 3) use of KHz laser pulse, 4) use of commercial laser generator, 5) remote operation capability, 6) automatic tracking, 7) state of art operation system, etc. In this paper, the major user requirement and pre-defined specification are presented and discussed.
satellite laser ranging;design review;user requirements
- Bang SC, System design document for ARGO-M opto-electronics sub-system, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute, ARGO-SDD-630-F00 (2009).
- Bang SC, Lee JH, Kim ES, ARGO-M system design review meeting, opto-electronics sub-system (2009).
- Choi J, Kim B-Y, Yim H-S, Chang H-Y, Yoon J-N, et al., Orbit determination using angle-only data for MEO & GEO satellite and obsolete, JASS, 26, 111-126 (2009). doi: 10.5140/JASS.2009.26.1.111 https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2009.26.1.111
- Degnan JJ, Satellite laser ranging: scientific and technological challenges for the new millennium, SPIE Proc, 3218, 80-91 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.295655
- Jo JH, ARGO-M system design review meeting, ARGO-M system engineering (2009).
- Jo JH, Lim H-C, Yim H-S, Current status of Korea’s first SLR system development, in 60th International Astronautical Congress Proceedings, Daejeon, Korea, 12-16 Oct 2009, IAC-09.A6.P.5.
- Kim BS, Park BW, Lim HC, Hwang KH, Lee TK, A planning study on the R&D project of satellite laser ranging system (Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, Seoul, 2007).
- Kim DW, Kim CH, Shin JS, Park PH, Choi KH, et al., A study on the computer programs for the tracking and position predictions of artificial satellite, Science and Technology Agency, Report N8613 (1987).
- Kim KD, Jang JG, Jang BH, Na JK, System design document for ARGO-M optics sub-system, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute, ARGO-SDD-620-F00 (2009).
- Kim YG, System design document for ARGO-M laser sub-system, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute, ARGO-SDD-640-F00 (2009a).
- Kim YG, ARGO-M system design review meeting, laser sub-system (2009b).
- Kirshner G, Present status of the Graz kHz SLR system, in kHz SLR Meeting, Graz, Austria, 27-29 Oct 2004.
- Na JK, Jang JG, Kim KD, Jang BH, ARGO-M system design review meeting, optics sub-system (2009).
- Park CH, Son YS, Kim BI, Preliminary design of tracking mount for movable SLR, JASS, 27, 135-144 (2010). doi: 10.5140/JASS.2010.27.2.135 https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2010.27.2.135
- Park PH, Park JU, Lim HC, Cho SK, Jang JG, et al., Development of the fundamental technology on satellite tracking and space surveillance system using SLR, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), MOST Technical Report, M104170 00004-04O1700-00410 (2005).
- Pearlman MR, Degnan JJ, Bosworth JM, The international laser ranging services, AdSpR, 30, 135-143 (2002). doi: 2002AdSpR..30..135P https://doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1177(02)00277-6
- Rew DY, Seo YK, System design document for ARGO-M operation system, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute, ARGO-SDD-660-F00 (2009).
- Seo YK, Rew DY, ARGO-M system design review meeting, operation system (2009).
- Son YS, System design document for ARGO-M container/dome sub-system, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute , ARGO-SDD-670-F00 (2009a).
- Son YS, System design document for ARGO-M tracking mount sub-system, ARGO-SDD-650-F00 (2009b).
- Son YS, ARGO-M system design review meeting, container/dome sub-system (2009c).
- Son YS, ARGO-M system design review meeting, tracking mount sub-system (2009d).
- Orbit Determination Using SLR Data for STSAT-2C: Short-arc Analysis vol.32, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2015.32.3.189
- Effect of the Application of the CBD Output Management Technique for the Development of Operation Software for a Space Observation System vol.31, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2014.31.3.265
- A new approach to the telescope operation method for satellite tracking using a time synchronization technique vol.54, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2014.06.013
- Design and Development of High-Repetition-Rate Satellite Laser Ranging System vol.32, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2015.32.3.209
- Design of tracking mount and controller for mobile satellite laser ranging system vol.49, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2011.09.009
- Precise Orbital and Geodetic Parameter Estimation using SLR Observations for ILRS AAC vol.30, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2013.30.4.269