- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Subacute Toxicity Study of 40 kGy Irradiated Ready-to-Eat Bulgogi
- Park, Jin-Gyu ;
- Kim, Jae-Hun ;
- Byun, Myung-Woo ;
- Jeon, Young-Eun ;
- Kang, Il-Jun ;
- Hwang, Han-Joon ;
- Lee, Ju-Woon
- Received : 2010.11.15
- Accepted : 2011.02.01
- Published : 2011.03.31
The wholesomeness of 40 kGy irradiated ready-to-eat (RTE) bulgogi was evaluated by subacute toxicity studies (body weight, food consumption, organ weight, hematology, serum biochemistry, and histopathological examination) with groups of 40 male and female ICR mice fed the agent at dietary levels of 5% for 90 days. There were no treatment-related adverse effects with regard to body weight, food consumption, organ weight, hematology, serum biochemistry, and histopathology. The no-observed-adverse-effect-level (NOAEL) was also determined to be greater than dietary level of at least 5% (3900 mg/kg body weight/day for males, 3500 mg/kg body weight/ day for females) for samples under the present experimental conditions. These results suggest that, under these experimental conditions, RTE bulgogi irradiated at 40 kGy did not show any toxic effects.
bulgogi;high-dose irradiation;subacute toxicity;ICR mice
- Wong PYY, Kitts DD. 2002. The effects of herbal pre-seasoning on microbial and oxidative changes in irradiated beef steaks. Food Chem 76: 197-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00265-5
- Thayer DW. 1994. Wholesomeness of irradiated foods. Food Technol 14: 317-320.
- Thayer DW, Boyd G. 1993. Elimination of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in meats by gamma irradiation. Appl Environ Microbiol 59: 1030-1034.
- Ahn DU, Nam KC. 2004. Effects of ascorbic acid and antioxidants on color, lipid oxidation and volatiles of irradiated ground beef. Radiat Phys Chem 71: 149-154.
- World Health Organization. 1999. High-dose irradiation: Wholesomeness of food irradiated with dose above 10 kGy. WHO Technical Report Series 890. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Jo C, Han CD, Chung KH, Byun MW. 2003a. Gamma irradiation of ready-to-cook bulgogi improves safety and extends shelf-life without compromising organoleptic qualities. Nutraceuticals and Food 8: 191-195. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2003.8.2.191
- Jo C, Kim DH, Shin MG, Kang IJ, Byun MW. 2003b. Irradiation effect of bulgogi sauce for manufacturing Korean traditional meat product, bulgogi. Radiat Phys Chem 68: 851-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(03)00328-1
- Lee YC, Kim SH, Oh SS. 2001. Effect of gamma irradiation on the quality of Bulgogi sauce. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 327-332.
- World Health Organization. 1981. Wholesomeness of irradiated food. Report of a joint FAO/IAEA/WHO expert committee, WHO Technical Report Series, No. 659. Geneva, Switzerland.
- ICGFI. 1994. Summary report on eleventh meeting of the international consultative group on food irradiation. Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, November.
- Kang IJ, Lee YS, Lee SJ, Yook HS, Byun MW. 2001. Four-week oral toxicity study of gamma irradiated chickens in mice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 234-238.
- Kang IJ, Kwak HJ, Lee BH, Kim KH, Byun MW, Yook HS. 1998. Genotoxicological and acute toxicological safeties of gamma irradiated beef. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 775-780.
- Monsen H. 1960. Heart lesions in mice induced by feeding irradiated foods. Fed Proc 19: 1031-1034.
- Thompson SW, Hunt RD, Ferrel J, Jenkins ED, Monsen H. 1965. Histopathology of mice fed irradiated foods. J Nutr 87: 274-284. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/87.3.274
- Blood FR, Wright MS, Darby WJ, Elliott GA. 1966. Feeding of irradiated chicken, beef, and pineapple jam to dogs. Toxicol Appl Pharm 8: 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0041-008X(66)80009-1
- Optimization of Pan Bread Prepared with Ramie Powder and Preservation of Optimized Pan Bread Treated by Gamma Irradiation during Storage vol.17, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.1.053