- Volume 21 Issue 2
Optimized DES Core Implementation for Commercial FPGA Cluster System
상용 FPGA 클러스터 시스템 기반의 최적화된 DES 코어 설계
- Received : 2011.01.18
- Accepted : 2011.04.04
- Published : 2011.04.30
The previous FPGA cluster systems for a brute force search of DES keyspace have showed cost efficient performance, but the research on optimized implementation of the DES algorithm on a single FPGA has been insufficient. In this paper, the optimized DES implementation for a single FPGA of the commercial FPGA cluster system with 77 Xilinx Virtex5-LX50 FPGAs is proposed. Design space exploration using the number of pipeline stages in a DES core, the number of DES cores and the maximum clock frequency of a DES core is performed which leads to integrating 16 DES cores running at 333MHz. Also low power design is applied to reduce the loss of performance caused by limitation of power supply on each FPGA which results in fitting 8 DES cores running at 333MHz. When the proposed DES implementations would be used in the FPGA cluster system, it is estimated that the DES key would be found at most 2.03 days and 4.06 days respectively.
- FIPS PUB 46-3, "Data Encryption Standard (DES)," December 1999.
- M. Stamp, Information Security: Principles and Practice, Wiley-Interscience, October 2005.
- Electronic Foundation, Cracking DES, O'Reilly Media, July 1998.
- S. Kumar, C. Paar, J. Pelzl, G. Pfeiffer, A. Rupp, and M. Schimmler, "How to Break DES for € 8,980," Proceedings of Special-purpose Hardware for Attacking Cryptographic Systems, October 2006.
- T. Guneysu, T. Kasper, M. Novotny, C. Paar, and A. Rupp, "Cryptanalysis with COPACOBANA," IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 57, no. 11, pp.1498-1513, November 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2008.80
- T. Guneysu, G. Pfeiffer, C. Paar, and M. Schimmler, "Three Years of Evolution: Cryptanlaysis with COPACOBANA," Proceedings of Special-purpose Hardware for Attacking Cryptographic Systems, pp. 1-16, September 2009.
- L. Wienbrandt, S. Baumgart, J. Bissel, C. M. Y. Yeo, and M. Schimmler, "Using the reconfigurable massively parallel architecture COPACOBANA 5000 for applications in bioinformatics," Proceedings of Internationals Conference on Computational Science, ICCS 2010, pp. 1027-1034, May 2010.
- Pico Computing, Inc., "FPGA Cluster Demonstrates Massively Parallel, Hardware- Accelerated DES Cracking," January 2010. Available: http://www. picocomputing. com/pdf/PR_Pico_DES_BH _Jan_29_2010.pdf
- Pico Computing, Inc., SC-Series Clusters. Available: http://www.picocomputing. com/ sc_series.html.
- W. Diffe and M. Hellman, "Exhaustive Cryptanalysis of the NBS Data Encryption Standard," Computer, 10, pp.74-84, June 1977.
- M.J. Wiener, "Efficient DES Key Search," TR-244, School of Computer Science, Carleton University, Ottawa, 1994.
- T. Katsumi, M. Iida, and K. Nkakjima, "Time-Memory Trade-off Cryptanalysis on FPGA-based Parallel Machine RASH," Proceedings of 4th IEEE AP-HPC, May 2000.
- G. Rouvroy. "Efficient Uses of FPGAs for Implementations of DES and Its Experimental Linear Cryptanalysis," IEEE Transactions on Computers, 52, pp.473- 482, April 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2003.1190588
- 한승조, "VHDL을 이용한 고속 DES 암호칩 설계및 구현," 정보보학회논문지, 8(3), pp.79-94,1998년 9월.
- Xilinx, Virtex-5 FPGA User Guide, UG190 (v5.3) May 17, 2010. Available: http:// www.xilinx.com/support/documentatio n/user_ guides/ug190.pdf
- Peggy A. "Virtex-5 FPGA System Power Design Considerations," Xilinx White Paper, WP285 Feb. 2008. Available: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documen tation/white_papers/wp285.pdf
- G. Sutter and E. Boemo, "Experiments in Low Power FPGA Design," Proceedings of Latin American Applied Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 99-104, January 2007.
- F. Sun, H. Wang, F. Fu, and X. Li, "Survey of FPGA low power design," Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICICIP), pp. 547-550, Oct. 2010.