- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Upwelling-Response of the Cold Water off Haeundae in Summer
여름철 해운대 냉수대의 용승반응
- Lee, J.C. (Korea Inter-university Institute of Ocean Science, Pukyong National University)
- 이재철 (부경대학교 해양과학공동연구소)
- Received : 2011.06.29
- Accepted : 2011.09.21
- Published : 2011.11.30
Low water temperature during the summer associated with the occurrence of cold water zone off Haeundae was studied using the data from CTD observations and a monitoring buoy deployed in Suyeong Bay. Shortterm variability of current was dominant and was not related to the wind. The NE-SW components of wind parallel to the coast contained more than 96% of total variance and could account for major fluctuations of water temperature. Upwelling-response of water temperature was very sensitive so that the temperature began to decrease immediately after the onset of the southwesterly wind. In particular, there were three cases in which SW winds for only two days caused considerable temperature drops. In 2009, four upwelling events shorter than 5 days took place while seven events with periods of 2~18 days were recorded in 2010. During a very intense upwelling for seven days in mid-August 2010, temperature decreased by more than
Haeundae;Suyeong Bay;cold water mass;coastal upwelling;monitoring buoy;coherence;wavelet analysis
Supported by : 부경대학교 해양과학공동연구소
- Byun, S.-K., 1989. Sea surface cold water near the southeastern coast of Korea: wind effect. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 24: 121−131.
- Grinsted, A., J.C. Moore, and S. Jeverjeva, 2004. Application of the cross wavelet transform and wavelet coherence to geophysical time series. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 11: 561−566. https://doi.org/10.5194/npg-11-561-2004
- Large, W.G., and S. Pond, 1981. Open ocean momentum flux measurements in moderate to strong winds. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 11: 324−336. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1981)011<0324:OOMFMI>2.0.CO;2
- Lee, D.-K., J.-I. Kwon, and S.-B. Hahn, 1998. The wind effect on the cold water formation near Gampo-Ulgi coast. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 31: 359−371.
- Lee, J.C., 1983. Variations of sea level and sea surface temperature associated with wind-induced upwelling in the southeast coast of Korea in summer. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 18: 149−160.
- Lee, J.C., and J.Y. Na, 1985. Structure of upwelling off the southeast coast of Korea. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 20: 6−19.
- Lee, J.C., D.H. Kim, and J.-C. Kim, 2003. Observations of coastal upwelling at Ulsan in summer 1997. J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 38: 122−134.