- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Near.Transducer Errors in Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler Measurements Using Experimental and Numerical Method
ADCP 계기 부근에서 발생하는 관측 오차의 실험 및 수치모의에 의한 고찰
- Kim, Dong-Su (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Kang, Boo-Sik (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2010.12.13
- Accepted : 2011.02.10
- Published : 2011.02.28
This paper reports results of a joint experimental and numerical investigation of the causes of near-transducer errors due to the combined effect of acoustic and ADCP-induced flow disturbance near the ADCP transducer. The laboratory study focused on an isolated ADCP (deployment without boat). Measurements of the flow disturbance produced by the ADCP in vertical and horizontal planes were obtained acquiring measurements with an Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter (ADV). Concurrent measurements with ADCP and ADV were made to infer additional near-transducer effects in the ADCP measurements. The numerical investigation was designed to extend the inquiry on the near-transducer potential errors when the ADCP is deployed from a boat. Large Eddy Simulation (LES) was conducted to obtain the extent and magnitude of the disturbances induced by the drag acting on a boat-mounted ADCP and by the blockage effect of the instrument and boat. It is found the velocities measured by the ADCP are biased low and differ substantially from the undisturbed channel flow solution within a limited layer beneath the instrument.
Supported by : Dankook University
- Abad, J. Musalem, R., García, M., Cantero, M and García, M.H., 2004. Exploratory study of the influence of the wake produced by Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter probes on the water velocities within measurement volume. Proceedings of the ASCE/EWRI World Water and Environmental Resources Congress, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Gartner, J.W. and N. Ganju, N., 2002. A preliminary evaluation of near transducer velocities collected with low-blank ADCP. Proceedings of the ASCE-IAHR Hydraulic Measurements and Experimental Methods Conference, ASCE, Reston, Va.
- Mahesh, K., Constantinescu, S.G. and Moin, P., 2004. A numerical method for large eddy simulation in complex geometries. Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 197, 215-240 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2003.11.031
- Mueller, D.S., Abad, J.D., Garcia, C.M., Gartner, J.W., Garcia, M.H., and Oberg, K.A., 2007. Errors in acoustic Doppler profiler velocity measurements caused by flow disturbance. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 133(12), 1411-1420. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2007)133:12(1411)
- Muste, M., Kim, D., Gonzalez-Castro, J., Burkhardt, A., and Brownson, Z., 2006. Near-transducer errors in ADCP measurements. Proceedings of the ASCE-EWRI World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, (CD-ROM), Omaha, Nebraska
- Tokyay T., Constantinescu, S.G. and Gonzales-Castro, J., 2008. An LES investigation of two elemental error sources in boat-mounted ADCP measurements. International conference on fluvial hydraulics, River Flow 2008, Izmir, Turkey, September 2008.