- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Technical Newness and Design Newness to Consumer Adoption Process in New Product Communication Context
신제품의 커뮤니케이션 맥락에서 제품의 기술적 새로움과 디자인 새로움이 소비자의 수용과정에 미치는 영향 -스마트폰을 중심으로-
- Song, Yong-Tae (Division of Business Administration, Sunmoon University)
- 송용태 (선문대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2010.12.30
- Accepted : 2011.02.10
- Published : 2011.02.28
This study notes the impact of technical newness and design newness of new product to adoption process. The author aims to identify how to trigger intention of usage on new products, and test technical newness and design newness of determinants of perceived innovativeness and perceived curiosity and do such constructs that influence intention of usage of consumers as a result of consumer's perception. The main findings are that technical newness and design newness positively influence perceived curiosity, and perceived innovativeness that positively influence intention of usage on the basis of the hypotheses.
Technical newness;Design newness;Innovativeness;Curiosity;New product
- 유재미, 김상훈, 이유재, "제품 혁신성 지각의 결정요인과 제품 수용의향과의 관계 소비자 관점을 중심으로", 마케팅연구, 제21권, 제2호, pp.27-52, 2006.
- Abratt, R., Nel, D. and Nezer, C., "Role of the Market Maven in Retailing: a General Marketplace Influencer," Journal of Business and Psychology, vol. 10(1), pp. 31- 56, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02249268
- Anderson, J. C. and D. W., Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice : A Review of Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- Andrews, Jonlee and Daniel C. Smith, "In Search of The Marketing Imagination: Factors Affecting the Creativity of Marketing Programs for Mature Products," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 33, May, pp. 174-187, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152145
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, "An Exploratory Analysis of the Impact of Market Orientation on New Product Performance," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 12, pp. 275-293, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(95)00027-Q
- Bagozzi, R. P. and Y., Yi, "On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 74-94, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- Baumgarten, Steven, "The Innovative Communicator in The Diffusion Process," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 12, Feb, pp. 12-18, 1975. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150653
- Bolch, Peter H. and Marsha L. Richins, "A Theoretical Model for the Study of Product Importance Perception," Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 47, Summer, pp. 69-81, 1983.
- Calantone, R., Chan, K., and Cui, A. S., "Decomposing Product Innovativeness and Its Effects on New Product Success, "Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 23, 5 ,pp. 408-421, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2006.00213.x
- Campbell, Donald T. and Donald W. Fiske, "Convergent and Discriminant Validity by the Multitrait-Multimethod Matrix," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 56, March, pp. 81-105, 1959. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0046016
- Churchill, Gilbert A. Jr., "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 17, February, pp. 64-73, 1979.
- Colareli, O'Connor G., "Market Learning and Radical Innovation:a Cross Case Comparison of Eight Radical innovation Project, "The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 15, 2, pp.151-161
- Cooper, R. G. and Kleinschmidt, E. J., "The Impact of Product Innovativeness on Performance," Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol.8, pp. 240-251, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(91)90046-2
- Dosi, G., "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories,"Research Policy, vol. 11, 3, pp.147-162, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(82)90016-6
- Ettlie, J. E. and A. H. Rubenstein, "Firm Size and Product Innovation," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 4, pp. 189-108, 1987.
- Feick, Lawrence F. and Linda L. Price, "The Market Maven: A Diffuser of Marketplace Information," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 51, January, pp. 83-97, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251146
- Garber, L. L., "The Package Appearance in Choice," In: Advances in Consumer Research, ed. F. R. Kardes, and M. Sujan. Provo, UT:Association for Consumer Research, pp.653-d660, 1995.
- Garcia, Rosanna and Roger J. Calantone, "A Critical Look at Technological Innovation Typology and Innovativeness Terminology: A Literature Review," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 19, pp. 110-132, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(01)00132-1
- Garson, G. D., Guide to writing empirical papers, theses and dissertations, New York: Marcel Dekker, 2001.
- Gemunden, H. G., Salomo, S., and Krieger, A., "The Influence of Project Autonomy on Project Success," International Journal of Project Management, vol. 23, 5, pp.366-373, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.03.004
- Green, S., Gavin, M. B., and Aiman-Smith, L., "Assessinga Multidimensional Measure of Radical Technological Innovation," Transactionson Engineering Management, vol. 42, 3, pp.203-214, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/17.403738
- Grunwald, R. and Kieser, A., "Learning to Reduce Interorganizational Learning: An Analysis of Architectural Product Innovationin Strategic Alliances," Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 24, 4, pp.369-391, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2007.00256.x
- Han, Jin K., Namwoon Kim, and Rajendra K. Srivastava, "Market Orientation and organizational Performance: Is Innovation a Missing Link?," Journal of Marketing, vol. 62, October, pp. 30-45, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252285
- Hawkins, Del. I., David L. Mothersbaugh and Roger J. Best, Consumer Behavior, McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York, pp. 245-246, 2007.
- Hekkert, P., Snelders, D., and van Wieringen, P. C. W., ' 'Most Advanced yet Acceptable': Typicality and Novelty as Joint Predictors of Aesthetic Preference in Industrial Design,"British Journal of Psychology, vol. 94, 1, pp.111-114, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1348/000712603762842147
- Henard, David H. and David M. Szymanski, "Why Some New Products Are More Successful than Others," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 38, August, pp. 362-375, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.38.3.362.18861
- Higie, R.A., Price, L.L. and Feick, L.F., "Types and amount of word-of-mouth communications about retailersm," Journal of Retailing, vol. 63(3), pp. 260- 78, 1987.
- Jaworski, B. and A. Kohli., "Market Orientation: Antecedents and Consequences, Journal of Marketing," vol.52, July, pp.53-70, 1993.
- Kaplan, Melike Demirbag, "The relationship between perceived innovativeness and emotional product responses: a brand oriented approach," Innovative Marketing, Vol.5, Issue1, pp.39-47, 2009.
- Karjalainen,T.M.,Semantic Transformation in Design- Communicating Strategic Brand Identity through Product Design References, Ilmari Publications, University of Art and Design Helsinki, 2004.
- Kleinschmidt, E. J. and R. G. Cooper, "The Impact of Product Innovativeness on Performance," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol.8, pp.240-251, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(91)90046-2
- Kline, R. B., Principles and practice of structural equation modeling, New York: Guilford Press, 1998.
- Krippendorff, K. , The Semantic Turn: A New Foundation for Design, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2005.
- Lawton, Leigh and A. Parasuraman, "The Impact of the Marketing Concept on New Product Planning," Journal of Marketing, vol. 44, Winter, pp. 19-25, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250030
- Lawton, Leigh and A. Parasuraman, "The Impact of the Marketing Concept on New Product Planning," Journal of Marketing, vol. 44, Winter, pp.19-25, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250030
- Loewenstein, G. , "The psychology of curiosity: A review and reinterpretation," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 116, pp. 75-98, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.116.1.75
- Loken, B.and Ward, J., "Alternative Approaches to Understanding the Determinants of Typicality," Journal of Consumer Research, vol.17, pp.111-126, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1086/208542
- Lynn, G. S., Morone, J. G., and Paulson, A. S., "Marketing and Discontinuous Innovation: The Probe and Learn Process," California Management Review, vol.38, 3, pp.8-37, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165841
- Maloney, Jone C, "Curiosity Versus Disbelief in Advertising," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 2, April, pp. 2-8, 1962.
- McDonald, R. P., and Ho, M. H. R., "Principles and practice in reporting structural equation analyses," Psychological Methods, vol. 7, pp. 64-82, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.1.64
- Mono,R., Design for Product Understanding: The Aesthetics of Design from a Semiotic Approach, Stockholm: Liber AB, 1997.
- Nunnally, Jun C., Psychometric Theory, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Orth, Ulrich R. and Aurelie Bourrain, "Optimum Stimulation level Theory and The Differential Impact of Olfactory Stimuli on Consumer Explorary Tendencies," Advances in Consumer research, vol. 32, pp. 613-619, 2005.
- Pauwels, K., Silva-Rosso, J., Srinivasan, S.,and Hanssens, D. M., "New Products, Sales Promotions and Firm Value: The Case of the Automobile Industry," Journal of Marketing, vol. 68, pp.142-.156, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.199724
- Peter, J. Paul, "Relaibility: A Review of Psychometric Basics and Recent Marketing Practices," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.6-17, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150868
- Raju, P. S., "Optimum Stimulation level: Its Relationship to Personality, Demopraphics, and Exploratory Behavior," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 8, December, pp. 272-282, 1980.
- Rogers, E., Diffusion of Innovations, The Free Press, New York, 2003.
- Runco, M. A. and Charles, R., "Judgments of Originality and Appropriateness as Predictors of Creativity," Personality and Individual Differences, vol.15, pp.537-546, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(93)90337-3
- Schneider, K.C. and Rodgers, W.C., "Generalized Marketplace Influencers (''market mavens'') Attitudes Toward Direct Mail as a Source of Information," Journal of Direct Marketing, vol. 7(4), pp. 20-28, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.4000070405
- Schoormans, J. P. L.and Robben, H. S. J., "The Effect of New Package Design on Product Attention, Categorization and Evaluation," Journal of Economic Psychology, vol.18, pp.271-287, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4870(97)00008-1
- Sethi, Rajesh, Daniel C. Smith, and C. Whan Park, "Cross-functional Product Development Teams, Creativity, and the Innovativeness of New Consumer Products," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 38, February, pp. 73-85, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.188.8.131.5233
- Smith, Robert E. and William R. Swinyard, "Cognitive Response Advertising and Trial: Belief Strength, Belief Confidence and Product Curiosity," Journal of Advertising, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 3-14, 1988.
- Schumpeter, J. A., The Theory of Economic Development. An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business Cycle. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1934
- Silk, Alvin J., "Overlap Among Self Designated Opinion Leader: A Study of Selected Dental Products and Services," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 3, Aug, pp. 255-259, 1966. https://doi.org/10.2307/3149901
- Song, Michael X. and MitziM. Montoya-Weiss, "Critical Development Activities for Really New versus Incremental Products," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol.15, pp.124-135, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00077-5
- Stell, Roxanne and Nita Paden, "Vicarious Exploration and Catalog Shopping: a Preliminary Investigation," Journal of Consumer marketing, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 332-344, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769910277120
- Swasy, John L., Arno J. Rethans, "Knowledge Dffect on Curiosity and New Product Advertising," Journal of Advertising, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.28-34, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1986.10673035
- Venkatesh, V. ,and F. D. Davis, "A Model of the Antecedents of Perceived Ease of Use: Development and Test," Decision Science, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 451-480, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.1996.tb01822.x
- Veryzer, Robert W., Jr.(1998a)"Key Factors Affecting Customer Evaluation of Discontinuous new Products," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 15, pp. 136-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00075-1
- Veryzer, Robert W., Jr.(1998b), "Key Factors Affecting Customer Evaluation of Discontinuous New Products," The Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 15, pp. 136-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00075-1
- Whitfield, T. W. A. and Slatter, P. E., "The Effects of Categorization and Prototypicality on Aesthetic Choice in a Furniture Selection Task," British Journal of Psychology, vol.70,1, pp.65-75, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1979.tb02144.x
- Yalch, R. and Brunel, F., "Need Hierarchies in Consumer Judgments of Product Designs: Is It Time to Reconsider Maslow's Theory?," Advances in Consumer Research, vol.23, pp.405-410, 1996.
- Zaltman,G. "Rethinking Market Research: Putting People Back In," Journal of Marketing Research, vol.34, November, pp.424-437, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151962
- Zhou, K. Z., Yim, C. K., and Tse, D. K., "The Effects of Strategic Orientationon Technology-and Market-Based Breakthrough Innovations," Journal of Marketing, vol.69, pp.42- 60, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.184.108.40.206756
- Exploring User Perceived Usability Characteristics of Applications on Smart Phones: A Grounded Theory Analysis of User Reviews vol.13, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.615