- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors of China Art Price Formation -Focusing on contemporary artists-
중국 미술품 가격 형성 요인 실증분석 -컨템퍼러리 미술 작가 중심으로-
- Kwon, Hyeog-In (Department of Culture-Art Business, General Graduate School, Chung-ang University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hwa (Department of Culture-Art Business, General Graduate School, Chung-ang University) ;
- Lee, Jin-Kyung (Department of Culture-Art Business, General Graduate School, Chung-ang University) ;
- Song, Jeong-Seok (Department of Culture-Art Business, General Graduate School, Chung-ang University)
- 권혁인 (중앙대학교 일반대학원 문화예술경영학과) ;
- 이재화 (중앙대학교 일반대학원 문화예술경영학과) ;
- 이진경 (중앙대학교 일반대학원 문화예술경영학과) ;
- 송정석 (중앙대학교 일반대학원 문화예술경영학과)
- Received : 2010.11.18
- Accepted : 2011.02.10
- Published : 2011.02.28
This paper classifies factors that form Chinese contemporary art price which comes into the spotlight in the current fine art market and consider the characteristics that form price with Chinese art only. The data were analyzed applying hedonic price setting models which include market value as a dependent variable with the various characteristics that art includes as the individual factors. The result has found that Chinese contemporary art has the more effects on factors of artists than sales factors. The social factor is worthy of notice in that Chinese GDP jointly raised with the price of Chinese contemporary art. At this point that interest in and demand of Chinese contemporary art are higher, it is thought that the result of this study will raise comprehension and convincing purchase direction will be suggested to collectors.
Chinese Art;Hedonic Price Setting Model;Auction;Price Formation Factor;Contemporary Fine Art
- 김새미, "TOP Artist 100", Art in Culture, 2월호, pp. 78-83, 2009.
- 최병식, "미술시장 트렌드와 투자", 동문선, 2008.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Eichenberger, Reiner, "On the rate of return in the art market: Survey and evaluation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pp. 528-537, April, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2921(94)00059-9
- Kelvin, Lancaster, "A new approach to customer theory", Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 74, No.2, pp.132-157, 1966. https://doi.org/10.1086/259131
- Rosen, S. "Hedonic price and implicit markets : Product differentiation in pure competition", Journal of Political Economy, 82, pp.34-35, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1086/260169
- Singer, Leslie, "Microeconomics of the art market", Journal of Cultural Economics 1, 21-40, 1978.
- Frey, Bruno S. and Werner W. Pommerehne, "Art: An empirical inquiry", Southern Economic Journal 56, pp. 396-409, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/1059218
- Frey, Bruno S. and Werner W. Pommerehne, "Muses and Markets : Explorations in the economics of the arts", Oxford : Blackwell, 1989.
- Buelens, N. and V. Ginsburgh, "Revisiting Baumol's unnatural value or art as a floating crap game", European Economic Review 37, pp. 1351-1371, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2921(93)90060-N
- Agnello R. and Pierce R., "Financial returns price determinants and genre effect : American art investment" Journal of Cultural Economics 20, pp. 359-383, 1997.
- Renneboog L. and Van Houtte T., "The monetary appreciation of paintings : From realism to magritte", Cambridge Journal of Economics 26, pp. 331-358, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/cje/26.3.331
- Worthington A.C and Higgs H., "Art as an investment : Short and long term co movements in major paintings market", Empirical Economics 28, pp. 649-668, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00181-003-0152-x
- Worthington A.C and Higgs H., "Art as an investment : Risk, return and portfolio diversification in major painting market", Accounting and Finance 44, pp. 257-272, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-629X.2004.00108.x
- 송일호 & 정우수, "SAS와 EVIEWS를 이용한 계량경제 실증분석", 삼영사 pp. 63, 2002
- Ashenfelter O., "How auctions work for wine and art", Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 3, pp. 23-36, 1989.
- Ashenfelter O., Genesove D., "Testing for price anomalies in real-estate auctions", American Economic Review(Papers and Proceedings), vol. 82, pp. 501-505, 1992.
- Ashenfelter O. & Graddy K., "Art auctions : A survey of empirical studies", NBER Working Paper Series 8997. 31p, 2002.
- Ashenfelter O., K. Graddy & M. Stevens, "A study of sale rates and prices in impressionist and contemporary art auctions", Princeton University and University of Oxford, 2002.
- Anderson, Robert C., "Paintings as an Investment", Economic Inquiry 12, pp. 12-26, 1974.
- Anderson, Robert C., "The monetary appreciation of paintings", Journal of Political Economy 85, pp. 1021-1035, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1086/260619
- Becker J. & Rossel J., "Art and prices, reputations a mechanism for reducing uncetainty in the Art market." Kolner Zeitschrift fur soziologie und sozialpsychologie(in German) 56, pp. 32-50, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11577-004-0002-7
- Galenson F.W and Weinberg, B.A. "Age and the quality of work : The case of modern Americn Painters" Journal of Political Economy 108(4), pp. 761-777, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/316099
- Griliches, Z., "Hedonic prices revisited" in Z. Griliches, de., Price Indices and Quality Change : Havard University Press, 1971.
- Griliches, Z., "Hedonic price indexes and the measurement of capital and productivity", University of Chicago Press, pp. 189, 1990.
- Mei. J & Moses. M, "Art as an investment and the origin of the masterpiece effect. Evidence from 1875-2000", 2001.
- Mei. J & Moses. M, "Art as an investment and the under performance of masterpieces", American Economic Review 92, pp. 1656-1668, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1257/000282802762024719
- Mei. J & Moses. M, "Vested interest and biased price estimates. Evidence from an auction market", manuscript, 2004.
- Mei. J & Moses. M, "On the computation of prices indices", 2005.
- Rengers, M. Velthuis, O., "Determinants of prices for contemporary art in Dutch galleries, 1992-1998", Journal of Cultural Economics 26, pp. 1-28, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013385830304
- 권상춘, "한국 미술품 가격 결정요인과 가격지수에 관한 연구", 경원대학교 대학원 경영학과, 박사학위논문, 2006.
- 최병식, "미술시장과 경영", 동문선, 2001.
- Artistic Value and Art Price: A Comparison between Auction and Non-auction Markets vol.13, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4432