- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Flow-Induced Noise in the Suction Nozzle of a Vacuum Cleaner with a Double-Blade Fan
이중 블레이드 팬이 장착된 진공청소기 브러쉬의 유동소음 특성
- Park, I-Sun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sejong Univ.) ;
- Sohn, Chae-Hoon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sejong Univ.) ;
- Oh, Jang-Keun (Group of Vacuum Cleaner R&D, Samsung Gwangju Electronics)
- Received : 2010.02.19
- Accepted : 2010.11.22
- Published : 2011.02.01
The characteristics of noise generation in the suction nozzle of a vacuum cleaner are analyzed numerically and experimentally. First, the flow resistance induced by each element in the suction nozzle of a vacuum cleaner with a double-blade rotary fan is investigated numerically and its relation with flow-induced noise and suction performance is examined in an anechoic room. The flow resistance and vorticity in the suction nozzle are calculated, and it is found that they are closely related to flow-induced noise and that the upper limit of noise reduction is only 4 dBA. This upper limit can be achieved by changing the design of the brush nozzle. Two methods for noise reduction by enlargement of flow-inlet area and by optimization of the number of blades are tested. Finally, the effects of each method are verified experimentally.
- Kim, J. Y., Kwac, L. K., An, J. S., Yang, D. J., Song, K. S. and Park, K. H., 2004, “The Flow Analysis for Vibration and Noise Diagnostic of Vacuum Cleaner Fan Motor," Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 56-63.
- Velarde-Suarez, S., Ballesteros-Tajacluara, R., and Nurtado-Cruz, J. P., 2006, "Experimental Determination of the Tonal Noise Sources in a Centrifugal Fan," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 295, Issues 3-5, pp. 781-796. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.01.049
- Jeon, W. H., Baek, S. J. and Kim, C. J., 2003, "Analysis of the Aeroacoustic Characteristics of the Centrifugal Fan in a Vacuum Cleaner," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol 268, Issues 5, pp. 1025-1035. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(03)00319-5
- Park, D.-B., 1998, “A Study on Suction Nozzle Flow and Air Passage-Way Resistance of Vacuum Cleaner," M.Sc. Thesis, Intelligent Machinery System, Graduate School, Pusan National University, pp. 4-35.
- Park, C. W. and Lee, S. J., 2002, “Fluid Dynamic Study on the Improvement of Vacuum Cleaner Suction Nozzle Performance," KSME Spring Conference, pp. 1826-1830.
- Gu, J.-H., Lee, S.-K., Jeon, W. H. and Kim, C. J., 2005, “Development of Index for Sound Quality Evaluation of Vaccum Cleaner Based on Human Sensibility Engineering ," KSNVE, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 821-828. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2005.15.7.821
- Park, I.-S., Sohn, C. H., Lee. S., Song, H. and Oh, J., 2010, "Flow-Induced Noise in a Suction Nozzle with a Centrifugal Fan of a Vacuum Cleaner and Its Reduction," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 71, pp. 460-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2009.05.004
- Kim, K. H., 1998, “Incompressible Flow Simulation of Impeller for Vacuum Cleaner Motor," M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University, pp. 17-35.
- CFD-ACE-GUI Modules Manual, Ver. 2009, ESI-CFD, 2009.
- KS A ISO 3745, 2002, Acoustics - Determination of Sound Power Levels of Noise Sources Using Sound Pressure - Precision Methods for Anechoic and Hemi-Anechoic Rooms.
- IEC 60704-1, 1997, Test code for the Determination of Airborne Acoustical Noise -Part 1: General Requirements. Geneva, International Electrotechnical Commission.
- Numerical Investigation on the Characteristics of Flow-Induced Noise in a Centrifugal Blower vol.7, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5293/IJFMS.2014.7.1.007