- Volume 6 Issue 2
Sterilization of Escherichia coli (E. coli) is examined using a unique pulsed ultra-violet (UV) elliptical reactor based on Nd:YAG laser resonator, UV radiation from a pulsed xenon flashlamp. The light from the discharge has a broadband emission spectrum extending from the UV to the infrared region with a rich UV contained. Sterilization method by using the UV light is fast, environment-friendly and it does not cause secondary pollution. A Nd:YAG laser resonator having elliptical shape has advantage of concentrating the radiation of the UV light at two foci as the quart sleeve filled with E. coli. The primary objective of this research is to determine the important parameters such as pulse per second (pps), the applied voltage for sterilizing E. coli by using an UV elliptical reactor. From the experiment result, the sterilization effect of UV elliptical reactor is better than that of UV cylindrical reactor, and it can be 99.9% of sterilization at 800V regardless of the pps within 10 minutes.
Escherichia coli;Xenon flashlamp;UV reactor;Resonator;Nd:YAG laser
- Rowan, N. J., MacGregor, S. J., Anderson, J. G., Fouracre, R. A., McIlvaney, L., & Farish, O., “Pulsed-light inactivation of food-related microorganisms”, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol.65, pp.1312-1315, 1999.
- Soojin jun, Joseph Irudayaraj, Ali Demirci, David Geiser, “Pulsed UV light treatment of corn meal for inactivation of Aspergillus niger spores”, International Journal of food science and technology, Vol.38, pp.883-888, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0950-5423.2003.00752.x
- Sheng Yu Tseng, Tsai-Fu, Yaow Ming Chen, “Wide pulse combined with narrow pulse generator for food sterilization,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial electronics, Vol.55, No.2, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.910517
- J. L. Zimmer and R. M. Slawson, “Potential repair of Escherichia coli DNA following exposure to UV radiation from both medium and low pressure UV sources used in drinking water treatment,” Applied and environmental microbiology, Vol.68, No.7, pp. 3293-3299, July. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.7.3293-3299.2002
- W. A. M. Hijnen, E. F Beerendonk, G. J Medema, “Inactivation credit of UV radiation for viruses, bacteria and protozoan (oo)cysts in water: A review,” Water research, Vol. 40, pp. 3-22, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2005.10.030
- T. Wang, S. J MacGreor, J. G Anderson, G.A Woolsey, “Pulsed ultra-violet inactivation spectrum of Escherichia coli,” Water research, Vol.39, pp.2921-2925,2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2005.04.067
- Kenneth F. McDonald, Randy D. Curry, Thomas E. Clevenger, Kenneth Unklesbay, Abraham Eisenstark, Jeffry Golden, “A comparison of pulsed and continuous ultraviolet light source for the decontamination of surfaces,” IEEE Transaction on plasma science, Vol. 28, No.5, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/27.901237
- Vicente M. Gomez-Lopez, Peter Ragaert, Johan Debevere and Frank Devilieghere, “Pulsed light for food decontamination a review,” Trends in Food Science & Technology, Vol.18, pp.464-473. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2007.03.010
- Mounir Laroussi, Fred C. Dobbs, Z. Wei, Martina A. Doblin, Leslie G. Ball, Kathatrina R. Moreira, F. F. Dyer and J. P Richardson, “Decontamination of water excimer UV Radiation,” IEEE Transation on plasma science, Vol.30, No. 4, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2002.804208
- Upadhyaya, G. Curry, R.D. McDonald, K.F. Nichols, L.M. Clevenger, T. “A pulse power flashlamp system for water decontamination”, Pulsed Power Conference, 2003. Digest of Technical Papers. PPC-2003. 14th IEEE International. pp.221-224, 2003.
- M. A GUSINOW, “Near-UV spectral efficiency of high-currenet xenon flashlamps,” IEEE Journal of quantum electronics, vol. QE-11, No.12, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1109/JQE.1975.1068557
- Hee-Je Kim, Myung-Sik Lee, Dong-Gil Lee, Min-Kyu Son, Kyoung -Jun Lee. Optimal ablation of fluorinedoped tin oxide (FTO) thin film layers adopting a simple pulsed Nd:YAG laser with TEM00 mode. Opt. Lasers Eng, Vol.47, pp.558-62, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2008.10.007
- Hee-je Kim, Jin-Young Choi, Jeonghoon Kim, Ji-Tae Hong, Hyunwoong Seo, Dong-Gil Lee, Kyoung-Jun Lee, Min-Kyu Son. Proposal of optimal process parameters for poly-methyl-meth-acryl plastic adhesion using a pulsed Nd:YAG laser. Opt. Eng, Vol.48, pp. 084301-1 - 084301-7, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.3204233
- Walter Koechner, Solid-State Laser Engineering, Springer, pp.366-373.
- A New CW CO2Laser with Precise Output and Minimal Fluctuation by Adopting a High-frequency LCC Resonant Converter vol.6, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.6.842
- Radiation model of a xenon flash lamp in a laser amplifier pump cavity vol.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/hpl.2015.34
- Cutting Technique for Biodegradable Rope using a CW CO2Laser with TEM00mode vol.7, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.4.576