- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of an Impedance Locus Model for a Protective Relay Dynamic Test with a Digital Simulator
- Kim, Soo-Nam ;
- Lee, Myoung-Soo ;
- Lee, Jae-Gyu ;
- Rhee, Sang-Bong ;
- Kim, Kyu-Ho
- Received : 2010.02.05
- Accepted : 2010.01.26
- Published : 2011.03.01
This paper presents a method for the development of the impedance locus to test the dynamic characteristics of protective relays. Specifically, using the proposed method, the impedance locus can comprise three impedance points, and the speed of impedance trajectory can be adjusted by frequency deviation. This paper is divided into two main sections. The first section deals with the configuration of impedance locus with voltage magnitude, total impedance magnitude, and impedance angle. The second section discusses the control of the locus speed with the means of the deviation between two frequencies. The proposed method is applied to two machine equivalent systems with offline simulation (i.e., PSCAD) and real-time simulation (i.e., real-time simulation environment) to demonstrate its effectiveness.
Apparent impedance locus;Power swing blocking;Power system stability;Protective relay dynamic test;Out-of-step tripping;Real-time digital simulator
- P. G. McLaren, R. Kuffel, R. Wierckx, J. Giesbrecht and L. Arendt, “A Real Time Digital Simulator For Testing Relays”, IEEE Transaction On Power Delivery, Vol. 7, No.1, January 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.108909
- Wei-Jen Lee, Ren-Jun Li and Jyh-cherng Gu, “A Microcomputer- Based Testing Station For Dynamic and Static Testing of Protective Relay System”, Conference Record, Paper Presented at the 1995 Annual Meeting, 1995.
- R. Kuffel, P. Forsyth, H. Meiklejohn and J. Holmes, “Batch Mode Operating Software for Relay Tet Applications of the RTDSTM Simulator”, Proceedings of EMPD(Energy Management and Power Delivery) 1998 International Conference on, Vol. 1, 1998.
- Jin-Hong Jeon, Seul-Ki Kim, Chang-Hee Cho, Jong- Bo Ahn, Eung-Sang Kim, “Development of Simulator System for Microgrids with Renewable Energy Sources”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, 2006.12, pp. 409-413.
- M. Monseu, Convener, “Evaluation of characteristics and performance of power system protection relays and protective systems”, CIGRE Working Group 04 of Study Committee 34(protection).
- Edward Wilson Kimbark, Power System Stability - Volume II Power Circuit Breakers and Protective Relays, John Wiley & Sons, 1950.
- Edith Clarke, Circuit Analysis of A-C Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons, 1950.
- Wen-Hao Zhang , Seung-Jae Lee , Myeon-Song Choi, “Setting Considerations of Distance Relay for Transmission Line with STATCOM”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, 2010.11, pp. 522-529
- Daniel Zwillinger, Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae, CRC, 1996.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)