- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Breed Comparison on the Finishing Times of Racehorses
국내 경주마의 주파기록에 대한 품종별 비교 분석
- Kong, Hong-Sik (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Hak-Kyo (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Park, Kyung-Do (Genomic Informatics Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Cho, Byung-Wook (Horse Science Research Center, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2010.09.04
- Accepted : 2010.12.02
- Published : 2011.02.28
This study was conducted to provide basic information for the improvement of racing performance of Jeju pony & Halla horse, using the 85,732 racing records collected from Jeju & Kwacheon racecourses from January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2009. During the last 5 years, a total of 2,892 heads of horses were racing at the Jeju racecourse and 11.7% (338 heads) of them were Jeju ponies. The average body weight of Jeju pony and Halla horse were 267 kg & 287 kg, respectively, which were 58% and 62% of that of Thoroughbred (460 kg). The repeatabilities of Jeju pony, Halla horse and Thoroughbred for finishing time were estimated in the range of 0.26-0.66 (average, 0.54), 0.34-0.68 (average, 0.56) and 0.37-0.60 (average, 0.50), respectively, and as the racing distance increased, the repeatabilities decreased. In the racing distance of 1,000 m, the differences in the finishing times between Thoroughbred & Jeju pony, Thoroughbred & Halla horse, and Jeju pony & Halla horse were 24.33 seconds, 10.81 seconds and 13.52 seconds, respectively. The racing performance of Halla horse was improved by 55.6% than that of Jeju pony at the 1,000 m race.
Jeju pony;Halla horse;Thoroughbred;Finishing time;Repeatability
- Cho, B. W., Ha, T. Y., Cho, K. H., Kim, S. D., Lee, H. K., Kong, H. S. and Park, K. D. 2009. Estimation of genetic parameters for finished and furlong times in Thoroughbred racehorses. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:1609-1613.
- Groeneveld, E., Kovac, M. and Wang, T. 1990. PEST, a general purpose BLUP package for mutivariate prediction and estimation. Proc. 4th World Congr. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod. 13:468-475.
- Mota, M. D. S. 2006. Genetic correlation between performances at different racing distances in Thoroughbreds. Livest. Sci. 104, 227-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.04.005
- Mota, M. D. S., Abrahao, A. R. and Oliveira, N. H. 2005. Genetic and environmental parameters for racing time at different distances in Brazilian Thoroughbreds. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 122, 393-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2005.00551.x
- Ojala, M. J. and Van Vleck, L. D. 1981. Measures of racetrack performance with regards to breeding evaluation of trotters. J. Anim. Sci. 53, 611-619. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.533611x
- Ojala, M. J., Van Vleck, L. D. and Quaas, R. L. 1987. Factors influencing best annual racing time in finnish horses. J. Anim. Sci. 64, 109-116. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.641109x
- Park, K. D. and Lee, K. J. 1999a. Genetic evaluation of Thoroughbred racehorses in Korea. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 41(2): 135-140.
- Park, K. D. and Lee, K. J. 1999b. Estimation of the genetic parameter on racing longevity of Thoroughbreds. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 41(3):253-256.
- Park, K. D., Son, S. K., Rho, S. H., Cho, K. H., Lee, H. K. and Cho, B. W. 2008a. Estimation of genetic trend on racing time of Thoroughbred racehorses. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 50(1): 27-32. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.1.027
- Park, K. D., Lee, H. K., Jeon, G. J., Kong, H. S., Cho, B. W., Cho, K. H. and Son, S. K. 2008b. Trends on racing speed traits in Thoroughbred racehorses. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 50(6): 747-752. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.6.747
- SAS User’s Guide : Statistics, Ver 9.1 Edition. 1999. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Kang, T. S. 2000. Use of Cheju horses for racing. Korean Journal of Agriculture Management and Policy. Vol. 27: 103-115.