- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Partial Discharge Diagnosis of Thermal Degradated PVC Cable
열열화된 PVC 케이블의 부분방전 진단
- Song, Ki-Tae (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungju National University) ;
- Lee, Sung-Ill (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungju National University)
- Received : 2010.08.05
- Accepted : 2011.02.15
- Published : 2011.03.01
In this thesis, the partial discharge according to applied voltage and variations of cross-sectional area and length of the conductor related to general condition for using cable was measured in order to study degradation diagnosis for 2-Core cable of the PVC insulator used in industrial fields for other safety installations. Also the thermal degradation conditions under various installation circumstances of cables were studied by assuming degradation conditions with each different degradation rate (50%, 67%, 100%) such as variation in degradated temperature, thermal exposure time, normal state, partially degradated state and overall degradated state for thermal degradation diagnosis. The quantity of electric discharge (V-Q) according to applied voltage was measured for measurement of inception voltage and extinction voltage. The quantity of electric discharge and the number of electric discharge (Q-N) were measured with applied voltage kept constantly. In addition, pictures were taken using SEM (scanning electron microscope) to compare the surface of external insulator to degradated state of internal insulator according to thermal degradation temperature and also compare the surface of external insulator to degradated surface state of internal insulator according exposure time of cables to thermal stress.
- IEC 60270, Partial discharge measurement, 3rd edition, (2001).
- IEC 60811, Insulating and sheathing materials of electric cables, Common test methods Part 1-2: General application, Thermal ageing methods (2002).
- J. H. Mason, Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineer, 113, 2113 (1966). https://doi.org/10.1049/piee.1966.0367
- F. H. Kreuger, Partial discharge detection in high-voltage equipment (Butterworths, London, 1989) p. 50.
- J. P. Steiner and F. D. Martzloff, Conference record of the IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation, 149 (1990).