- Volume 22 Issue 2
Size Control and Dispersion Properties of Illite Clay by Physicochemical Treatment
물리화학적 처리에 의한 일라이트 점토광물의 입도조절 및 분산특성
- Lim, Jae Won (Department of Fine Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, BK21-E2M, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeong, Euigyung (Department of Fine Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, BK21-E2M, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Kyeong-won (Hyochang Corporation) ;
- Lee, Young-Seak (Department of Fine Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, BK21-E2M, Chungnam National University)
- 임재원 (충남대학교 공과대학 정밀응용화학과) ;
- 정의경 (충남대학교 공과대학 정밀응용화학과) ;
- 서경원 ((주)효창산업) ;
- 이영석 (충남대학교 공과대학 정밀응용화학과)
- Received : 2010.09.13
- Accepted : 2010.10.25
- Published : 2011.04.10
In this study, illite was size-reduced using a wet-ball-milling treatment to improve its dispersion. Changes in illite particle size, size distribution, and dispersion characteristics after varying the treatment period were investigated. And the dispersion and dispersion stability of illite solution after 2 h wet ball milling treatment with different pH conditions were also evaluated. The illite particle size significantly decreased as the treatment time increased and the size reduction effect of wet ball milling deteriorated above 2 h treatment time. In addition, illite particle size was more evenly distributed as the treatment time increased. X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis showed that no crystal structural changes of illite were induced, but the characteristic peak of illite the weaker due to the size reduction and exfoliation, as the treatment time increased. Zeta potential analysis showed that the illite dispersion improved, as the treatment time increased. The illite wet-ball-mill treated at pH 2 had the lowest dispersion stability. Illite dispersion and dispersion stability increased as pH increased, due to the increase in surface ionization. Hence, the results showed that as the treatment time increased, the illite particle size decreased, and dispersion and dispersion stability improved due to the increase in surface energy and repulsion force between particles.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- R. E. Grim, R. H. Bray, and W. F. Bradley, Am, Miner., 22, 813 (1937).
- J. Hower and T. C. Mowatt, Am. Miner., 51, 825 (1966).
- X. Gu and L. J. Evans, J. Coll. Inter. Sci., 307, 317 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.11.022
- W. H. Lee, H. J. Choi, K. W. Koo, and J. Hur, J. Korea Electromagnetic Eng. Soc., 12, 665 (2001).
- K. S. Ho, Powder Technology, Hee Joong Dang, 153, Korea (1995).
- S. B. Kim, S. B. Jo, G. J. Jo, and W. S. Han, J. Miner. Soc. Kor., 28, 53 (2004).
- C. O. Choo, J. Miner. Soc. Kor., 14, 29 (2001).
- O. M'bodj, N. K. Ariguib, M. T. Ayadi, and A. Magnin, J. Coll. Inter. Sci., 273, 675 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.02.028
- G. Lagaly and S. Ziesmer, J. Coll. Inter. Sci., 100, 105 (2003).
- J. S. Kim, T. S. Byun, J. N. Kim, and J. Choi, Theor. Appl. Chem. Eng., 8, 5110 (2002).
- J. H. Park, J. Kim, S. H. Cho, K. H. Han, C. K. Yi, and G. T. Jin, J. Chem. Eng., 16, 659 (1999).
- Y. S. Lee and J. M. Lee, J. Kor. Soc. Indust. Appl., 10, 263 (2007).
- P. Gregory, High-Technology Applications of Organic Colorants, Plenum Press, 759, New York (1991).
- L. G. Austin, K. Julianelli, A. S. Souza, and C. L. Schneider, Int. J. Miner. Process, 84, 157 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.minpro.2006.09.010
- J. H. Kim, E. G. Jeong, S. H. Lee, W. H. Han, and Y. S. Lee, Appl. Chem. Eng., 21, 311 (2010).
- S. G. Lee, J. C. Won, J. H. Lee, and K. Y. Choi, Polymer(Korea), 29, 248 (2005).
- ASTM Standard D 4187-82, Zeta potential of colloids in water and waste water, American Society for Testing and Materials (1985).
- C. Celia, E. Trapasso, D. Cosco, D. Paolino, and M. Fresta, J. Coll. Sci., 72, 155 (2009).
- H. G. Cho, E. Y. Kim, and G. Y. Jeong, J. Miner. Soc. Kor., 14, 12 (2001).