- Volume 22 Issue 4
A Study on the Size Control of Nanosized Polystyrene
폴리스타일렌 나노입자의 입도 조절에 관한 연구
- Tan, Ming Ning (Department of Industrial Chemical, Sangmyung University) ;
- Park, Yong Sung (Department of Industrial Chemical, Sangmyung University)
- 탕명녕 (상명대학교 공업화학과) ;
- 박용성 (상명대학교 공업화학과)
- Received : 2011.04.14
- Accepted : 2011.04.26
- Published : 2011.08.10
Nanosized polystyrene (PS) particles with the narrow size distribution were synthesized from styrene monomer at the presence of the surfactant (polyvinylpyrrolidone, PVP), the solvent of 95 % alcohol, and the initiator of benzoyl peroxide (BPO). Since the emulsion polymerization method was applied, many factors could have effects on the size of PS particles during polymeric process. Aside from the concentration of monomer, surfactant and initiator, the factors such as the stirring speed and the ultrasonic radiation were mainly studied. By adjusting the radiating time, PS particles with their size of about 400 nm were synthesized.
Supported by : Sangmyung University
- G. Bognolo, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 106, 169 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2003.07.002
- J. Zhang, Z. Chen, Z. Wang, W. Zhang, and N. Ming, Materials Letters, 57, 4466 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-577X(03)00344-6
- S. Wang, X. Wang, and Z. Zhang, European Polymer Journal, 43, 178 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2006.09.010
- S. Rosen, Fundamental Principles of Polymeric Material, 1, 6, Wiley Interscience, USA (1993).
- D. Zha, L. Qi, H. Chin, and J. Ma, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 246, 413 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2001.8081
- G. Odian, Principles of Polymerization, 4, 110, Wiley Interscience, USA (1991).
- M. P. Stevens. Polymer Chemistry, 6, 352, Oxford University Press, New York (1999).
- L. S. Jan, S. Radiman, M. A. Siddig, S. V. Muniandy, M. A. Hamid, and H. D. Jamali, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 251, 43 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2004.09.025
- C. Decker, T. Nguyen, and T. Viet, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 200, 358 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-3935(19990201)200:2<358::AID-MACP358>3.0.CO;2-V
- B. Qu and B. Ranby, Polym. Eng. Sci., 35, 1161 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760351406
- H. K. Shin, Y. S. Park, and J. W. Woo, Korea Ind. Eng. Chem., 13, 482 (2002).