- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Variation of Density Stratification due to Fresh Water Discharge in the Kwangyang Bay and Jinju Bay
광양만과 진주만 해역에서 담수 유입으로 인한 밀도성층 변화
Kang, Young-Seung;Chae, Yeong-Ki;Lee, Hyung-Rae
- Received : 2008.12.16
- Accepted : 2011.02.14
- Published : 2011.02.28
This study simulate three-dimensional ocean circulation patterns using the EFDC model in the Kwangyang Bay and Jinju Bay, considering tide, water temperature and salinity. The numerical model results were verified using observed data. The model results well reproduced the observed data. As a result, ocean circulation patterns in the study area show convergence and divergence in the middle area of Noryang waterway and Daebang waterway, the residual flow patterns show typical two-layer circulation. According to the change of the density stratification in the Kwangyang Bay and Jinju Bay, the effect of fresh water is dominant in study area. In the case of Jinju Bay, although it is strongly influenced by the Namgang fresh water, also it is affected by Seomjin River when there is no discharge by Namgang Dam. On the other hand, the stratification of the Kwangyang Bay is relatively enhanced by the discharge of Namgang Dam.
density stratification;fresh water discharge;residual current;Kwangyang Bay and Jinju Bay
- 김태인, 이형래, 장경일 (2006). 새만금해역에서 밀도성층의 계 절변동. Ocean and polar Research, 28(3), 339-352. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2006.28.3.339
- 최현용, 이상호, 오임상 (1998). 황해 중부 연안 수온전선역의 정량적 해석. 한국해양학회지, 바다, 3, 1-8.
- 추효상, 이병걸, 이규형 (2002). 다층 진단모델에 의한 광양만의 잔차류 수치실험. 한국환경과학회지, 11, 637-650.
- 한성대 (1995). Eulerian-Lagrangian 수송 모형에 의한 광양만의 유류확산 모의. 대한환경공학회지, 17(8), 735-747.
- Blumberg, A.F. and Mellor G.L. (1987). A description of a three dimensional Coastal Ocean Model. Ed. by N. S. Heaps, Coast, Est. Sci., 4, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1029/CO004p0001
- Cho, C.W. (2005). A study on the circulation between the Gwangy-ang bay and the Jinju bay, the south coast of Korea. M.S. thesis, Chonnam National University, 72 p.
- Hamrick. J.M. (1992). A three-dimensional environmental fluid dynamics computer code: theoretical and computational aspects. Special Report in Applied Marine Science and Ocean Engineering (SRAMSOE) No. 317, Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS), VA.
- Hamrick, J.M. (1994). Linking hydrodynamic and biogeochemical transport and transformation models for estuarine and coastal waters. In M. L. Spaulding, K. W. Bedford, A. F. Blumberg, R. T. Cheng, & J. C. Swanson (Eds.). Estuarine and coastal modeling III (pp. 591.608). New York: ASCE.
- Jung, K.Y. (2007). Three-dimensional numerical modeling of tidal, wind-driven and density currents in the Kangjin Bay, South Sea, Korea. M.S. thesis, Chungnam National University, 130 p.
- Lee, B.-G. and Cho, H.-D. (1998). The spatial characteristics of stratification in Deukryang Bay, Korea. J. Kor. Environ. Sci. Soc., 7, 223-231.
- Lee. J.C., Kim, J.C. and Park, M.W. (2006). Observations of current in the Northeastern Gwangyang bay. Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, 11(4), 136-142.
- Lie, H.-J., Lee, S. Cho, S.-H. and Kim, C.-H. (2002). Tidal front in the main tidal channel of Kyunggi Bay, eastern Yellow Sea. J. Kor. Soc. Oceanogr., 37, 10-19.
- Mellor G.L. and Yamada, T. (1982). Development of a turbulence closure model for geophysical fluid problems, Review of Geophysics and space Physics. 20, 851-875. https://doi.org/10.1029/RG020i004p00851
- Moustafa, M.Z. and Hamrick, J.M. (2000). Calibration of the wetland hydrodynamic model to the everglades nutrient removal project. Water Quality and Ecosystem Modelling, 1, 141-167. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013938700446
- Palacios-Hernndez, E., Beier, E., Lavn, M.F. and Ripa, P. (2002). The effect of the seasonal variation of stratification on the circulation of the northern Gulf of California. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 32, 705-728. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(2002)032<0705:TEOTSV>2.0.CO;2
- Park K., Jung, H.S., Kim, H.S. and Ahn, S.M. (2005). Three-dimensional hydrodynamic-eutrophication model(HEM-3D) : application to Kwang-Yang bay, Korea. Marine Environmental Research, 171-193.
- Rippeth, T.P., Fisher, N.R., and Simpson, J.H. (2001). The cycle of turbulent dissipation in the presence of tidal straining. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 31, 2458-2471. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(2001)031<2458:TCOTDI>2.0.CO;2
- Ro, Y.J., Jun, W.S., Jung, K.W. and Eom, H.M. (2007). Numerical modeling of tide and tidal current in the Kangjin Bay, South Sea, Korea. Ocean Science Journal, 42(3), 153-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03020919
- Ro, Y.J. and Jung, K.Y. (2010). Impact of the dam water discharge on the circulation system in the Kangjin Bay, South Sea, Korea. Ocean Science Journal, 45(1), 7-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-010-0002-7
- Simpson, J.H. and Bowers, D. (1981). Models of stratification and frontal movement in the shelf seas. Deep-Sea Res., 28, 727-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(81)90132-1
- Simpson, J.H., Brown, J., Matthews, J.P. and Allen, G. (1990). Tidal straining, density currents and stirring in the control of estuarine stratification. Estuaries, 13, 125-132. https://doi.org/10.2307/1351581
- Sisson, G.M., Shen, J., Kim, S.-C., Boon, John, D. and Kuo, A.Y. (1997). VIMS Three-Dimensional Hydrodynamic-Eutrophication Model (HEM-3D): Application of the Hydrodynamic Model to the York River System. SRAMSOE #341. SMS/VIMS, College of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, VA. 123 pp.
- Hypoxia Estimation of Coastal Bay through Estimation of Stratification Degree vol.20, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2014.20.5.511
- Modeling for Pollution Contribution Rate of Land based Load in Masan Bay vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.1.059
- Changes in Sea Water Characteristics Due to Operation of Shihwa Tidal Power Plant vol.25, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.4.219
- Temporal and Spatial Variations of Sea Surface Temperature in Jinju Bay in the South Coast of Korea vol.21, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2015.21.4.315
- Numerical Modeling of Circulation Characteristics in the Kwangyang Estuarine System vol.26, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2014.26.4.253
- Consideration on Changes of Density Stratification in Saemangeum Reservoir vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2015.18.2.81