- Volume 44 Issue 6
We measured grain size, organic matter, and metallic elements (Fe, Cu, Pb, Zn, Cd, Cr, Mn, Hg, and As) in intertidal sediments collected from six islands in the western part of Jellanam Province in order to evaluate heavy metal contamination in the tidal flat sediments of coastal islands. The evaluation of metal contamination was carried out using geochemical assessment techniques such as sediment quality guidelines (SQGs), enrichment factor (EF), and geoaccumulation index (
Tidal flat;Heavy metal;Sediment quality guideline (SQGs);Enrichment factor (EF);Geoaccmulation index (Igeo)
- An JS, Ko KS and Chon CM. 2007. Arsenic occurrence in groundwater of Korea. J Kor Soc Soil Ground Environ 12, 64-72.
- Bruland KW, Bertine K, Koide M and Goldberg ED. 1974. History of metal pollution in southern California coastal zone. Environ Sci Technol 8, 425-432. https://doi.org/10.1021/es60090a010
- Buchman MF. 2008. NOAA screening quick reference tables, NOAA OR&R Report 08-1, Seattle WA, Office of response and restoration division, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 34.
- Chang JH. 2008. Criteria and evaluation of local tidal flats for designation conservation sites in the southwestern coast of Korea. J Environ Sci 17, 1391-1402. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.12.1391
- Chen CW, Kao CM, Chen CF and Dong CD. 2007. Distribution and accumulation of heavy metals in the sediments of Kaohsiung Harbor, Taiwan. Chemosphere 66, 1431-1440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.09.030
- Chester R and Voutsinou FG. 1981. The initial assessment of trace metal pollution in coastal sediment. Mar Pollut Bull 12, 84-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(81)90198-3
- Cho YG, Ryu SO, Khu YK and Kim JY. 2001. Geochemical composition of surface sediments f rom the Saemangeum tidal flat, west coast of Korea. J Kor Soc Oceanogr 6, 27-34.
- Choi SW, Oh KH, Youn ST, Kim HG and Koh YK. 2010. Sedimentary environments and geochemistry characteristics of tidal flat sediments in semi-enclosed Cheonggye Bay, Korea. J Kor Island 22,175-187.
- Davies JS. 1964. A morphogenic approach toward sholines. Z Geomorph 8, 127-142.
- Feng H, Jiang H, Gao W, Weinstein MP, Zhang Q, Zhang W, Yu L, Yuan D and Tao J. 2011. Metal contamination in sediments of the western Bohai Bay and adjacent estuaries, China. J Environ Manage 92, 1185-1197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.11.020
- Folk RL. 1968. Petrology of sedimentary rock, Hemphill Publishing Co., Austin TX, U.S.A., 170.
- Folk RL and Ward WC. 1957. Brazos river bar: A study in the significance of grain size parameters. J Sed Petol 27, 3-26. https://doi.org/10.1306/74D70646-2B21-11D7-8648000102C1865D
- Hwang DW, Jin HG, Kim SS, Kim JD, Park JS and Kim SG. 2006. Distribution of organic matters and metallic elements in the surface sediments of Masan Harbor, Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 39, 106-117.
- Hwang DW, Han J and Yang HS. 2003. The distribution characteristics of Sb and As in the surface sediment from the Yellow Sea and the coastal areas of Korea. J Environ Sci 12, 1121-1129. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2003.12.10.1121
- Hwang DW, Ryu SO, Kim SG, Choi OI, Kim SS and Koh BS. 2010. Geochemical characterist ics of intertidal surface sediments along the southwestern coast of Korea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 43, 146-158.
- Hyun S, Lee T, Choi JS, Choi DL and Woo HJ. 2003. Geochemical characteristics and heavy metal pollutions in the surface sediments of Gwangyang and Yeosu Bay, south coast of Korea. J Kor Soc Oceanogr 8, 380-391.
- Hyun S, Lee CH, Lee T, Choi JW. 2007. Anthropogenic contributions to heavy metal distributions in the surface sediments of Masan Bay, Korea. Mar Pollut Bull 54, 1031-1071. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2007.04.004
- Jeon SG and Cho YG. 2002. Some heavy metal concentration of surface sediments from the southwestern coast of Korea. J Environ Sci 11, 1299-1305. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2002.11.12.1299
- Jung RH, Hwang DW, Kim YG, Koh BS, Song JH and Choi HG. 2010. Temporal variations in the sedimentation rate and benthic environment of intertidal surface sediments around Byeonsan Peninsula, Korea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 43, 723-734.
- Kim G, Hwang DW, Ryu JW and Lee YW. 2005. Environmental and ecological consequences of submarine groundwater discharge in the coastal areas of Korea peninsula. J Kor Soc Oceanogr 10, 204-212.
- Kim JG, You SJ and Ahn WS. 2008. Evaluation of characteristics of particle composition and pollution of heavy metals for tidal flat sedime nts in the Julpo Bay, Korea. J Kor Soc Mar Environ Safety 14, 247-256.
- Lee HY. 2002. Comparison of the effects of physic-chemical factors on the zonation and vertical distribution of benthic microalgal communities in the tidal flats of south-west Korea. J Environ Sci 11, 529-535. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2002.11.6.529
- Lee BG and Lee JS. 2002. The foreign and domestic trends on the evaluation and regulation of heavy metals in the coastal oceans. In: Proceedings of the Autumn meeting, 2002 of the Korean Society of Oceanography. Oh IS and Park GR, eds. Han Yang University, Seoul, Korea, 141-176.
- Lee MK, Bae W, Chung J, Jung HS and Shim H. 2008. Seasonal and spatial characteristics of seawater and sediment at Youngil Bay, southeast coast of Korea. Mar Pollut Bull 57, 325-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2008.04.038
- Lee MK, Bae W, Um IK and Jung HS. 2004. Characteristics of heavy metal distribution in sediments of Youngil Bay, Korea. J Kor Soc Environ Eng 26, 543-551.
- Loska K, Cebula J, Pelczar J, Wiechula D and Kwapulinski J. 1997. Use of enrichment, and contamination factors together with geoaccumulation indexes to evaluate the content of Cd, Cu, and Ni in the Bybnik water reservoir in Poland. Water Air Soil Pollut 93, 347-365.
- Muller G. 1979. Schwernetalle in den sedimenten des Rheins - Verderyngen Seit. Umschau 24, 778-783.
- Park CH and Lee SH. 2004. Environmental considerations on the function and value of tidal wetland. J Kor Soc Environ Impact Assess 13, 87-101.
- Ryu SO, Chang JH, Lee HJ, Jo YJ and Choi OI. 2009. Spatial and temporal variation of surface sediments by tidal environment changes: Muan Bay, west coast of Korea. J Kor Soc Oceanogr 14, 10-21.
- Ryu SO, Kim JY and Chang JH. 2001. Distribution of surface sediments an d sedimentation rates on the tidal flat of Muan Bay, southwestern coast, Korea. J Kor Earth Sci Soc 22, 30-39.
- Ryu SO, You HS, Kim JY, Lee IG and Kim MJ. 1999. Distribution of the surface sediments and transport pattern of suspended matters during winter season in Tando Bay, the southwestern coast of Korea. J Kor Earth Sci Soc 20, 486-496.
- Shin SE, Kang SB, Koh YK, Park BY, Youn ST, Kim JY and Oh KH. 2002. Sedimentary facies and geochemical characteristics of upper intertidal zone, southwestern coast, Korea. J Kor Earth Sci Soc 23, 722-735.
- Taylor SR. 1964. Abundance of chemical elements in the continental crust: A new table. Geochem Cosmochim Acta 28, 1273-1285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(64)90129-2
- Taylor SR and McLennan SM. 1995. The geochemical evolution of the continental crust. Reviews of Geophys 33, 241-265. https://doi.org/10.1029/95RG00262
- Woo HJ and Je JG. 2002. Changes of sedimentary environ-ments in the southern tidal flat of Kanghwa Island. Ocean Polar Res 24, 331-343. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2002.24.4.331
- Yang WH. 2006. Understanding of the Korean adjacent seas: 4. Tidal flat and sedimentation of the Yellow Sea. J Sci Edu 31, 1-8.
- Youn ST, Koh YK and Ryu SO. 1999. Distribution characteristics of surface sediments and metal elements in Hampyong Bay, the southwestern coast of Korea. J Kor Environ Sci Soc 8, 677-684.
- Youn ST and Na BS. 2008. Soil environmental assessment by the risk and artificial enrichment of Hampyeong district soils. J Kor Soc Environ Impact Assess 6, 321-333.
- Zhang J and Liu CL. 2002. Riverine composition and estuarine geochemistry of particulate metals in China-weathering features, anthropogenic impact and chemical fluxes. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 54, 1051-1070. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.2001.0879
- 1. Organic Enrichment and Pollution in Surface Sediments from Shellfish Farming in Yeoja Bay and Gangjin Bay, Korea vol.46, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 2. Evaluation of Organic Matter and Trace Metal Contaminations of Intertidal Sediments from Coastal Islands in the Southern Region of Jeollanam Province vol.46, pp.5, 2013, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 3. Evaluation of Pollution Level for Organic Matter and Trace Metals in Sediments around Taehwa River Estuary, Ulsan vol.48, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 4. Sedimentary and Benthic Environment Characteristics in Macroalgal Habitats of the Intertidal Zone in Hampyeong Bay vol.45, pp.6, 2012, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 5. Temporal and Spatial Variation of Nutrient Concentrations in Shallow Pore Water in Intertidal Sandflats of Jeju Island vol.45, pp.6, 2012, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 6. Distributions of Organic Matter and Trace Metals in Surface Sediments around a Manila Clam Ruditapes phillippinarum Farming Area in Gomso Bay, Korea vol.48, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 7. Distributions of Organic Matter and Trace Metals in Intertidal Surface Sediment from the Mokpo-Haenam Coast vol.46, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
- 8. Geochemical Characteristics of Intertidal Sediment in the Semi-enclosed Bays of the Southern Region of Jeollanam Province vol.46, pp.5, 2013, doi:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 국립수산과학원