- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of pH on Fertilization and the Hatching Rates of Far Eastern Catfish Silurus asotus
- Gao, Yang (Department of Aquaculture and Aquatic Science, Kunsan National University) ;
- Kim, Sun-Gyu (Department of Aquaculture and Aquatic Science, Kunsan National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Yeol (Department of Aquaculture and Aquatic Science, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2011.11.20
- Published : 2011.12.31
In this experiment, we examined the survival, fertilization, hatching times, and hatching rates of Far Eastern catfish Silurus asotus at pH ranging from 2 to 13 under laboratory conditions. Eggs could be fertilized at pH 3-12. In a hatching experiment, mortality was first observed at pH 13, when all fertilized eggs died within 8 min, followed by pH 2 (30 min), pH 12 (60 min), pH 3 (4 h), and pH 11 (5 h). Hatching only occurred at pH 4-10, with the highest hatching rate at pH 7 (52%) and the lowest at pH 10 (24%). Hatching rates in acid solutions were higher than in alkaline solutions, although the difference was not significant. Hatching was first observed at pH 10, beginning 27 h after fertilization and ending at the 31 h. A clear difference was observed between hatching times, ranging from 31 to 64 h and increasing in order with descending pH.
Supported by : Fisheries Science Institute of Kunsan National University
- Brown DJA and Lynam S. 1981. The effect of sodium and calcium concentrations on the hatching of eggs and the survival of the yolk sac fry of brown trout, Salmo trutta L. at low pH. J Fish Biol 19, 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1981.tb05824.x
- Carrick TR. 1979. The effect of acid water on the hatching of salmonids eggs. J Fish Biol 14, 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1979.tb03506.x
- Cykowska C and Winnicki A. 1972. Embryonic development of the Baltic sea trout (Salmo trutta) in buffer solutions. Acta Ichthyol Pisca 2, 3-12.
- Daye PG and Garside ET. 1979. Development and survival of embryos and alevins of the Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., continuously exposed to acidic levels of pH, from fertilization. Can J Zool 57, 1713-1718. https://doi.org/10.1139/z79-222
- Daye PG and Glebe BD. 1984. Fertilization success and sperm motility of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in acidified water. Aquaculture 43, 307-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(84)90031-0
- Elster H and Mann H. 1950. Experimentelle Beitrage zur Kenntnis der Physiologie der Befruchtung bei Fischen. Arch Fisch Wiss 2, 49-72.
- Holtze HK and Hutchinson NJ. 1989. Lethality of low pH and Al to early life stages of six Fish species inhabiting Precambrian Shield waters in Ontario. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 46, 1188-1202. https://doi.org/10.1139/f89-155
- Johansson N and Millbrink G. 1976. Some effects of acidified water on the early development of roach (Rutilus rutilus L.) and perch (Perca fluviatilis L.). J Am Water Resour Assoc 12, 39-48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1976.tb02637.x
- Krishna D. 1953. Effect of changing pH on developing trout eggs and larvae. Nature 171, 434. https://doi.org/10.1038/171434a0
- Lloyd R and Jordan DHM. 1964. Some factors affecting the resistance of rainbow trout (Salmo gairdnerii Richardson) to acid waters. Air Water Pollut 8, 393-403.
- Menendez R. 1976. Chronic effects of reduced pH on brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). J Fish Res Board Can 33, 118-123.
- Mount DI. 1973. Chronic effect of low pH on fathead minnow survival, growth and reproduction. Water Res 7, 987-993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(73)90180-2
- Oyen FGF, Camps LECMM and Wendelaar Bonga SE. 1991. Effect of acid stress on the embryonic development of the common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Aquat Toxicol 19, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-445X(91)90024-4
- Parker DB and McKeown BA. 1987. The effects of low pH on egg and alevin survival of kokanee and sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. Comp Biochem Physiol C 87, 259-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-8413(87)90006-5
- Peterson RH, Daye PG, Lacroix GL and Garside ET. 1982. Reproduction in fish experiencing acid and metal stress. In: Acid Rain/Fisheries: Proceedings of an International Symposium on Acidic Precipitation and Fishery Impacts in Northeastern North America, RE.(ed.), American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, US, pp.177-196.
- Rask M. 1983. The effects of low pH on perch, Perca fluviatilis L. I. Effects of low pH on the development of eggs of perch. Ann Zool Fenn 20, 73-76.
- Sayer MDJ, Reader JP and Dalziel TRK., 1993. Freshwater acidification: effects on the early life stages of fish. Rev Fish Biol Fish 3, 95-132. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00045228
- St-Pierre M and Moreau G. 1987. Resistance et viabilite des gametes d'Omble de fontaine, Salvelinus fontinalis, a differents pH. Hydrobiologia 153, 139-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00006645
- Swarts FA, Dunson WA and Wright JE. 1978. Genetic and environmental factors involved in increased resistance of brook trout to sulfuric acid solutions and mine acid polluted waters. Trans Am Fish Soc 107, 651-677. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1978)107<651:GAEFII>2.0.CO;2
- Trojnar JR. 1977. Egg hatchability and tolerance of brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) fry at low pH. J Fish Res Board Can 34, 575-579.
- Volodin VM. 1960. Embryonic development of the autumn Baltic herring and their oxygen requirements during the course of development.Vopr Ikhtiol 7, 123-133.
- Zweig RD, Morton JD and Stewart MM. 1999. Source Water Quality for Aquaculture: A Guide for Assessment. World Bank, Washington, DC, US.