- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Stabilization Exercise and Stretching Exercise on Muscle Strength and Pain of Patients with Lower Back Pain
안정화운동과 신장운동이 요통환자의 근력과 통증에 미치는 영향
Kwag, Kwang-Il;Lim, Jae-Heon
- Received : 2011.11.04
- Accepted : 2011.11.29
- Published : 2011.12.31
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of three types of therapeutic exercises by applying them to lower back pain patients. Methods : This program was conducted for 30 patients 30 to 55 years old, who visited a rehabilitation center due to lower back pain. We separated participants into three groups with different therapeutic exercises: one with lumbar stabilization exercises, another with stretching exercises, and the other with both exercises. Each exercise was held once a day, 3 days a week, for 6 weeks. We analyzed the effect of these exercises by checking the change of lumbar muscle strength and pain relief. Lumbar muscle strength was measured by AS-Med and pain strength was estimated by VAS. Results : The result of the programs was established according to the following list: 1) Lumbar stabilization exercises and stretching exercises lead to higher lumbar muscle strength and pain relief (p<0.05). 2) Lumbar muscle strength in the lumbar stabilization exercise group was significantly higher than the stretching exercise group (p<0.05). 3) Pain relief in the stretching exercise group was significantly higher than the lumbar stabilization exercise group (p<0.05). Conclusion : This study shows all of the groups experienced higher lumbar muscle strength and pain relief. Specifically, there was higher lumbar muscle strength in the lumbar stabilization exercise group and higher pain relief in the stretching exercise group. Therefore the ideal intervention to improve lumbar muscle strength and pain relief for patients is to implement both lumbar stabilization exercises and stretching exercises.
Low back pain;Lumbar Stabilization Exercise;Stretching Exercise
- Wheeler AH. Diagnosis and management of low back pain and sciatica. Am Fam Physician. 1995;52(5):1333-41, 47-8.
- The Korean Orthopedic Association. Orthopedics. 5th ed. Seoul, Choishin Medical Publishing Company. 2002:449-451.
- Hazard RG. Chronic low back pain and disability: The efficacy of functional restoration. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 1996;55(4):213-6.
- Kelsey JL, White AA. Epidemiology and impact of lowback pain. Spine. 1980;5(2):133-142. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198003000-00007
- Elia DS, Bohannon RW, Cameron D et al. Dynamic pelvic stabilization during hip flexion: a comparison study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;24(1):30-36. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1922.214.171.124
- Sahrmann SA. Diagnosis and treatment of movement impairment syndromes. New-York,. Elsevier Inc. 2002:79-86.
- Koumantakis GA, Watson PJ, Oldham JA. Trunk muscle stabilization training plus general exercise versus general exercise only: randomized controlled trial of patients with recurrent low back pain. Physical Therapy. 2005;85(3)209-225.
- Kim SY. Lumbo-pelvic stabilization approach for low back dysfunction. Journal of the Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 1998;4(1):7-20.
- Kim SH. Effects of different stretching methods after exercise on delayed onset muscle soreness and exercise performance. Official Journal of the Korea Exercise Science Academy. 2009;18(4):527-538.
- Kim JD. Effect of stretching exercise on the reducation of pain with low back pain. Kyunghee University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1999.
- Jeong IS. A study on the stretching program for improvement of dancer's flexibility. Hanyang University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2000.
- Lee JM, Yi CH, Kwon OY et al. The effect of lumbar stabilization for caregivers with chronic low back pain. Journal of the Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapists. 2011;18(2):9-17.
- Evjenth O, Hamberg J. Autostretching: The complete manual of specific stretching (Choi H. Trans.). Uijeongbu, Medline, 2001:85-119(original work published 1991).
- Koo HS, Bae SS, Kwon OH et al. Therapeutic exercise. Seoul, Daehaks Publishing Company. 1995:105-106.
- Seo SL, Lim WH. A study on the cause and the human engineering intervention to the low back disorder developed in the workplace. Journal of Management Science Study. 1999;8:93-103.
- Foster DN, Fulton MN. Back pain and the exercise prescription. Clin Sports Med. 1991;10(1):197-209.
- Ghamkhar L, et al. Application of rehabilitative ultrasound in the assessment of low back pain: a literature review. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2011;15(4):465-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2010.07.003
- Lee KW. Therapeutic exercise in low back pain. Journal of the Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 1995:19(2);203-208.
- Lee CH. A comparison study between isotonics by medx and isokinetics by cybex for lumbar extension strength development. Hanyang University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 1998.
- Nelson BW, O'Relly E, Miller M et al. The clinical effects of intensive, speicific exercise on chronic low back pain: A controlled study of 895 consecutive patients with 1-year follow up. Orthopedics. 1995;18(10):971-981.
- Hides JA, Richardson CA, Jull GA. Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute, first-episode low back pain. Spine. 1996;21:2763-2769. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199612010-00011
- Park MA, Lee SM, Song CH. The effect of lumbar stabilization exercise on surface type of low back pain patients. Journal of Korea Sport Research. 2005;16(6):329-340.
- Gong WT, Lee SY. The effects of lumbar vertebrae mobilization and lumbar stabilizing exercise on lumbar muscle strength. Journal of the Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 2007;13(2):21-30.
- Sung PS. The spinal flexibility and response time of erector spinae muscle following stabilization exercise. Journal of the Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 2000;(6):35-49.
- Luoto S, Aalto H, Taimela S et al. One-footed and externally disturbed two-footed postural control in patients with chronic low back pain and healthy control subjects: a controlled study with follow-up. Spine. 1998;23(19):2081-2088. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199810010-00008
- Kwon WA, Yang KH, Lee JH. The effects on 3- dimensional exercise of lumbar stabilization for chronic low back pain. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2006;18(5):25-34.
- Nam KW, Kim JS. The effect of dynamic lumbar stabilization exercise to be affected with improvement and maintenance of trunk stability after opened microscopic laser discectomy. Journal of the Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Therapy. 2005;11(1):37-48.,
- Lim JW, Kwon YJ, Jang TW et al. The effect of a stretching exercise on myofascial pain syndrome patients in small and medium sized industries. The Korean Journal of Occupational and Enviromental medicine. 2010;22(4):307-315.
- Lee YH. The effects of sustained natural apophyseal glides and active stretching exercise on pain and recovery of function in patient with chronic low back pain. Daegu University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2008.
- Yoo JH. Effect of isotonic lumbar extension training during 8 weeks on lumbar strength and VAS in chronic back pain patients. Sogang University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1999.