- Volume 11 Issue 3
Relations between Emotional Labor and Sleep Health according to the Personality Types of Dental Hygienists
일부지역 치과위생사의 성격유형에 따른 감정노동과 수면건강과의 관계
- Yoon, Song-Uk (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Gumi One College University) ;
- Nam, In-Suk (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Gumi One College University)
- 윤성욱 (구미1대학 치위생과) ;
- 남인숙 (구미1대학 치위생과)
- Received : 2011.03.29
- Accepted : 2011.06.15
- Published : 2011.06.30
Under the goal of investigating relations between emotional labor and sleep health according to the personality types of dental hygienists, who provide high quality medical service at dental clinics, this study surveyed 220 dental hygienists in Gumi city from July 2 to 21, 2010. The surveyed dental hygienists scored average 2.75 in emotional labor, which means their emotional labor was higher than average. Their emotional labor was in statistically significant relations with such general characteristics as educational background, place of work, salary, and drinking(p<0.05). The means of their emotional labor in six items were analyzed according to the personality types. As a result, personality type A had higher means in emotional labor than personality type B with statistical significance(p<0.05). The more stress they had from emotional labor, the worse their sleep health became. As for the relations between emotional labor and sleep health according to the personality types, the bad sleep health group accounted for 88.1% and recorded 2.85 mean scores in emotional labor, which was statistically significant(p<0.05), in personality type A. The regression analysis results of emotional labor in personality type A and sleep health indicate that the more emotional labor in personality type A they had, the worse their sleep health became. As for causality between personality type A and emotional labor, "difficulty with sleeping," "a feeling of lack of sleep when waking up," and "taking sleeping pills" had significant influences on the emotional labor of personality type A. Dental hygienist who owns the characteristics of personality type A, the more emotional labor, emotional stress of personality type A labor is high and unhealthy sleep affects the results were derived.
- 지진호: 여행업 종사원의 감정노동과 서비스 제공 수준과의 영향관계. 한국콘텐츠학회논문지 9(5): 284-292, 2009.
- Hochschild AR: Emotional Work, Feeling rules and social structure. AJS 85(3): 551-575, 1979.
- Morris JA, Feldman DC. The dimension, antecedents and consequences of emotional laber. Academy of Management Review 21(4): 986-1010, 1996.
- 김민주: 감정노동의 결과에 대한 한국과 미국간의 비교연구. 한국호텔경영학회지 15(1): 35-57, 2006.
- 정명숙, 김광점: 감정노동과 상사의 감정지능이 간호가의 직무 만족과 조직몰입에 미치는 영향. 병원경영학회지 11(4): 1-18, 2006.
- Gerge JM: The role of personality in organizational life: issues and evidence. JOM 18(2):185-213, 1992.
- 한주원: 개인성격과 감정노동 스트레스가 직무만족에 미치는 영향. 비서학 총론 14(1): 145-167, 2005.
- Frienman M, Rosenman RH: Association of specific overt behavior pattern with blood and cardiovascular findings. JAMA 169(12): 1286-1296, 1959. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1959.03000290012005
- Madigan MF Jr, Dale JA, Cross JD: No respite during sleep. Perceptual Mator skills 85(3 pt2): 1451-1454, 1997.
- 한지훈, 류재숙: 항공사 종사원의 감정노동이 직무성과와 직무태도에 미치는 영향. 부산 국제관광 학술대회, 부산, 한국, pp. 491-515, 2008.
- 추호정, 김현숙, 전대근: 소매점포 판매원의 감정노동에 대한 연구. 한국유통학회 춘계학술대회 발표논문집, 서울, 한국, pp. 161-182, 2009.
- Buysse DJ et al.: The pittsburgh sleep quality index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. PSQI 28(2): 193-213, 1989.
- Grandey AA: When "the show must go on": surface and deep acting as determinants of emotional exhaustion and poor-rated service delivery. AMJ 46(1): 86-96, 2003.
- Rakker AB, Heuven. E: Emotional dissonance burnout and in-role performance among nurses and police officers. IJSM 13(4): 423-440, 2006.
- 김상표, 이덕로: 감정노동과 직무상황이 서비스 종업원들의 심리적 안녕에 미치는 효과. 인적자원관리연구 15(2): 79-102, 2008.
- 안주영, 전의숙, 김현: 감정노동이 직무만족과 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향. 한국관광학회 학술대회 발표논문집, 인천, 한국, pp. 3-19, 2007.
- Lee SM: The effect of characteristics and personal factor on work stress. J Nur Acad Soc 25(4): 790-806, 1995.
- Jung MH: The study on the job stress of dental hygienists by the personality type. KSDH 3(1): 45-57, 2003.
- Dearborn MJ, Hasting JE: Type a personality as a mediator of stress and strain in employed women. J Human Stress 13(2): 53-60, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1080/0097840X.1987.9936795
- Fuller J, Schaller-Ayers J: Health assessment: a nursing approach 3rd ed. Lippincott williams and wilkins, Philadelphia, 2000.
- William DS et al.: The effects of 53 hours of sleep deprivation on moral judgment. Sleep deprivation and restriction 30(3): 345-352, 2007.
- Koulack D, Neaca M: Sleep parameters of types A and B scoring college students. Percept Mot Skills 74(3pt1): 723-726, 1992.
- Tan VL, Hicks RA: Type A-B behavior and nightmare types among students. Percept Mot Skills 81(1): 15-19, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19220.127.116.11