- Volume 7 Issue 4
In this paper, we propose a hybrid filter for noise reduction. The proposed method adjusts rational filtering direction according to an edge in the image using median filtered data. Rational filter modulates the coefficients of a linear lowpass filter to limit its action in presence of image details. By the ratio of polynomials in the input variables, rational filter reduces noise adaptively. Median filter is widely used to reduce impulse noise, but removes some details for highly corrupted images. Also, desirable details are removed when the window size is large. Our proposed algorithm combines rational filter and median filter. Thus, proposed method not only preserves edge, but also reduces noise in uniform region. Experimental results show that our proposed method has better quality than those by existing median and rational filtering methods.
- A. K. Jain, Fundamental of Digital Image Processing, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- T. Sun, M. Gabbouj, and Y. Neuvo, "Center weighted median filters: some properties and their applications in image processing," Signal Processing, vol. 35, 1994, pp. 213-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1684(94)90212-7
- N. Himayat and S. A. Kassam, "A structure for adaptive order statistics filtering," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 3, no. 3, May 1994, pp. 265-280. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.287020
- Y. H. Lee and S. A. Kassam, "Generalized median filtering and techniques," IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech and Signal Process., vol. 33, no. 3, June 1985.
- R. Bernstein, "Adaptive nonlinear filters for simultaneous removal of different kinds of noise in images," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, vol. CAS-34, Nov. 1987, pp. 1275-1291.
- X. Z. Sun and A. N. Venetsanopoulos, "Adaptive schemes noise filtering and edge detection by use of local statistics," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, vol. CAS-35, no. 1, Jan. 1988, pp. 57-69.
- G. Ramponi, "A rational edge-preserving smoother," in Proc. Second IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing, Washington, DC, USA, Oct. 22-25, 1995.
- G. Ramponi, "A rational filter for image smoothing," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 3, no. 3, March, 1996, pp. 63-65. https://doi.org/10.1109/97.481156
- R. Castagno, S. Marsi, and G. Ramponi, "A simple algorithm for the reduction of blocking artifacts in images and its implementation," IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, vol. 4, Aug. 1998, pp 1062-1070.
- H. G. Senel, R. A. Peters II, and B. Dawant, "Topological Median Filters," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 12, Dec. 2001, pp. 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.892438
- 차성원, 신재호, "웨이브렛 상세 영역 변환을 이용한 임펄스 잡음 제거," 디지털산업정보학회논문지, 4권, 2호, 2008.
- 김성림, 권준희, "상황인식 정보 검색 기법을 이용한 하이브리드 협업 필터링 기법," 디지털산업정보학회논문지, 6권, 1호, 2010.