- Volume 21 Issue 1
The Effect of Visual Bio-feedback Training on Balance and Postural Control in Stroke Patients
시지각 바이오피드백 훈련이 뇌졸중 환자의 균형 및 자세조절에 미치는 영향
- Lim, Soo-Jeong (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Soo (Dept. of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyung-Hee University) ;
- Kim, Na-Ra (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University) ;
- Kim, Seong-Sik (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University) ;
- Lee, Byoung-Hee (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University)
- 임수정 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 이종수 (경희대학교 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 김나라 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김성식 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 이병희 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 2010.12.15
- Accepted : 2011.01.14
- Published : 2011.01.30
Objectives : This study was to investigate the visual bio-feedback training for 5 weeks on balance and postural control for patients with stroke. Methods : The 26 subjects were randomly selected from the patients of the E hospital in the S city who met the study conditions. They were divided into a visual bio-feedback training group of 13 patients and a self-resistance exercise group of 13 patients. The visual bio-feedback training group received visual bio-feedback and general physiotherapy for five weeks and the self-resistance exercise group received cycling and general physiotherapy for the same period. The subjects were measured and compared for stability index, weight distribution index, fall down index, functional reach test and timed up and go test before and after the program. Results : The visual bio-feedback training group showed significant changes after the experiment in stability index, weight distribution index, functional reach test and timed up and go test(p<0.05), and the self-resistance exercise group also showed significant differences(p<0.05). The changes between prior to and after the experiment show that the visual bio-feedback training group had more significant effects than the self-resistance exercise group(p<0.05). Conclusions : The visual bio-feedback training for five weeks had effects in the improvement of the balance and posture control of stroke patients. Based on these results, more effective training programs should be developed and propagated.
Stroke;Visual bio-feedback training;Balance;Postural control
- Susan BO, Thomas JS. Philadelphia:Physical rehabilitation: assessment and treatment. 4th ed. 2001:520.
- 통계청. 2008년 사망원인통계결과. 2009.
- Ikai T, Kamikubo T, Takehara I. Dynamic postural control in patients with hemiparesis. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;82(6):463-9.
- Balasubramanian CK, Bowden MG, Neptune RR, Kautz SA. Relationship between step length asymmetry and walking performance in subjects with chronic hemiparesis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88(1):43-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.10.004
- Laufer Y, Siban D, Schwarzmann R, Sprecher E. Standing balance and functional recovery of patients with right and left hemiparesis in the early stages of rehabilitation. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2003;17(4):207-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/0888439003259169
- Geiger RA, Allen JB, O'Keefe J, Hicks RR. Balance and mobility following stroke: effects of physical therapy interventions with and without bio-feedback/forceplate training. Phys Ther. 2001;81(4):995-1006.
- Huxham FE, Goldie PA, Patla AE. Theoretical considerations in balance assessment. Aust Journal Physiother. 2001;47(2):89-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60300-7
- Lanzetta D, Cattaneo D, Pellegatta D, Cardini R. Trunk control in unstable sitting posture during functional activities in healthy subjects and patients with multiple sclerosis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85(2):279-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.05.004
- Kluenter HD, Lang-Roth R, Guntinas-Lichius O. Static and dynamic postural control before and after cochlear implantation in adult patients. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;266(10):1521-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-009-0936-5
- Johannsen L, Broetz D, Karnath HO. Leg orientation as a clinical sign for pusher syndrome. BMC Neurol. 2006;6(30):1-15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-6-1
- Horak FB. Clinical measurement of postural control in adults. Phys Ther. 1987;67(12):1881-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/67.12.1881
- Bonan IV, Colle FM, Guichard JP, Vicaut E, Eisenfise M, Tran Ba Huy P, Yelnik AP. Reliance on visual information after stroke. Part I: balance on dynamic posturography. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85(2):268-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.06.017
- Wong MK, Tsai CJ, Tang FT. An investigation of gait analysis for stroke patients by computer dynography system. J Rehabil Med Assoc ROC. 1999;27:123-33.
- Katz-leurer M, Sender I, Keren O, Dvir Z. The inflluence of early cycling training on balance in stroke patients at the subacute stage: results of a preliminary trial. Clin Rehabil. 2006;20(5):398-405. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr960oa
- Cheng PT, Wu SH, Liaw MY, Wong AM, Tang FT. Symmetrical body-weight distribution training in stroke patients and its effect on fall prevention. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;82(12):1650-4. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.26256
- Duncan P, Richards L, Wallace D, Stoker-Yates J, Pohl P, Luchies C et al. A randomized, controlled pilot study of a home-based exercise program for individuals with mild and moderate stroke. Stroke. 1998;29(10):2055-60. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.29.10.2055
- Dean CM, Richard CL, Malouin F. Task-related circuit training improves performance of locomotor tasks in chronic stroke: a randomized controlled pilot trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000;81(4):409-17. https://doi.org/10.1053/mr.2000.3839
- Yavuzer G, Eser F, Karakus D, Karaoqlan B, Stam HJ. The effects of balance training on gait late after stroke: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil. 2006;20(11):960-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215506070315
- De Haart M, Geurt AC, Huidekoper SC, Fasotti L. Recovery of standing balance in postacute stroke patients: a rehabilitation cohort study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85(6):886-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.05.012
- Dault MC, De Haart M, Geurts AC, Arts IM, Effect of visual center of pressure feedback on postural control in young and elderly healthy adults and in stroke patients. Hum Mov Sci. 2003;22(3):221-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9457(03)00034-4
- Walker C, Brouwer BJ, Culham EG. Use of visual feedback in retraining balance following acute stroke. Phys Ther. 2000;80(9):886-95.
- 황병용. 고유수용성 운동조절 프로그램이 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 균형 및 보행에 미치는 영향. 미간행박사학위논문. 계명대학교. 2002
- Jorgensen L, Engstad T, Jacobsen BK. Higher incidence of falls in long-term stroke survivors than in population controls: depressive symptoms predict falls after stroke. Stroke. 2002;33(2):542-7. https://doi.org/10.1161/hs0202.102375
- Kohen-Raz R. Application of tetra-ataxiametric posturography in clinical and developmental diagnosis. Percept Mot Skills. 1991;73(2):635-56. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1922.214.171.1245
- Duncan PW, Weiner DK, Chandler J, Studenski S. Functional reach: a new clinical measure of balance. J Gerontol. 1990;45(6):192-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/45.6.M192
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "up & go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991;39(2):142-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- Goldie PA, Bach TM, Evans OM. Force platform measures for evaluating postural control: reliability and validity. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1989;70(7):510-17.
- Lin CC, Chung KC, Chang CH, Wu CL, Liao IC. Gait evaluation of bio-feedback balance training for chronic stroke patients. Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers. 2003;26(6):845-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/02533839.2003.9670839
- Winstein CJ, Gardner ER, McNeal DR, Barto PS, Nicholson DE. Standing balance training: effect on balance and locomotion in hemiparetic adults. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1989;70(10):755-62.
- Shumway-Cook A, Anson D, Haller S. Postural sway bio-feedback its effect on re-estabilishing stance stability in hemiplegic patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1988;69(6):395-400.
- Sackley CM, Lincoln NB. Single blind randomized controlled trial of visual feedback after stroke: effects on stance symmetry and function. Disabil Rehabil. 1997;19(12):536-46. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638289709166047
- 조미숙, 이동엽. 체중부하를 이용한 바이오피드백 훈련이 3개월 미만군과 6개월 이상 된 편마비 환자의 서기 균형과 보행능력 및 일상생활동작에 미치는 효과. 특수교육재활과학연구소. 2007;46(3):123-42.
- Sihvonena S, Sipila S, Taskinen S, Era P. Fall incidence in frail older women after individualized visual feedback-based balance training. Gerontology. 2004;50(6):411-6. https://doi.org/10.1159/000080180
- Tinetti ME, Williams TF, Mayewski R. Fall risk index for elderly patients based on number of chronic disabilities. Am J Med. 1986;80(3):429-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(86)90717-5
- Campbell A, Borrie MJ, Spears GF. Risk factors for falls in a community-based prospective study of people 70 years and older. J Gerontology. 1989;44(4):112-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/44.4.M112
- Wolfson LI, Whipple R, Amerman P. Stressing the postural response: a qunti-tative method for resting balance. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986;335:845-6.
- Hinman JE, Cunningham DA, Rechnitzer PA, Paterson DH. Age-related changes in speed of walking. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1988;20(2):161-6. https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-198820020-00010
- Kerrigan DC, Todd MK, Croce UD, Lipsitz LA, Coliinns JJ. Biomechanical gait alterations independent of speed in the healthy elderly: evidence for specific limiting impairments. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1998;79(3):317-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(98)90013-2
- Lord SR, Murray SM, Chapman K, Munro B, Tiedemann A. Sit-to-stand performance depends on sensation, speed, balance, and psychological status in addition to strength in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;57(8):539-43.
- Sackley CM, Baguley BI, Gent S, Hodgson P. The use of balance performance monitor in the treatment of weight bearing and weight transference problems after stroke. Physiotheraphy. 1992;78(15):907-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)60498-1
- Shumway-Cook A, Wollacott M. Motor control: theory and practical applications(second edition). Baltomore:Williams & Wilkins. 2001.
- Wernick-Robinson M, Krebs DE, Giorgetti MM. Functional reach: dose it really measuric balance? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(3):262-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90136-3
- Shumway-Cook A, Horak F. Vestibular rehabilitation: an exercise approach to managing symptoms of vestibular dysfunction. Semin Hearing. 1989;10:196.