- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Current Status and Prospect on the Recycling of Municipal Solid Waste in the United States
미국(美國)의 도시생활(都市生活)쓰레기 재활용(再活用) 현황(現況)과 전망(展望)
- Song, Young-Jun (Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Lee, Gye-Seung (Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Shin, Kang-Ho (Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Kim, Youn-Che (Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Seo, Bong-Won (Kangwon National Univ.)
- Received : 2011.07.26
- Accepted : 2011.10.11
- Published : 2011.10.31
This study describes the national municipal solid waste stream of the United States based on data collected and published by EPA for 1960 through 2009. This paper characterizes the municipal solid waste stream of the nation as a whole, and can be useful for understanding the nationwide stream of America. Among the various materials contained in MSW, recycling status of the major materials of paper and paperboard, glass, metals, plastics, food scraps and yard trimmings are discussed somewhat more minutely.
- U.S. Environment Protection Agency, 2009: "Municipal Solid Waste Generation, Recycling and Disposal in the United States Detailed Tables and Figures for 2008", EPA, http://www.epa.gov/nscep/, pp. 1-58.
- U.S. Environment Protection Agency, 2010: "Municipal Solid Waste in the United States, 2009 facts and Figures", EPA, http://www.epa.gov/nscep/, pp. 1-198.
- U.S. Census Bureau, 2010: "U.S. Department of commerce, 2005-2009 ACS 5-year Summary file Technical Docummentation", American Community Survey Office Data Products, pp. 1-83.
- U.S. Department of Health and Humman Services Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 2010: "National Vital Statistics Reports", Births Preliminary data for 2008, Vol 58, No.16, pp. 1-18.
- Kimberly-clark Co., 2010: "2009 Annual Report on form 10-k", http://www.kimberly-clark.com/search.aspx?txtSearch=2009+annual+report, pp. 1-106.
- U.S. Environment Protection Agency, 2002: "Solid Waste Management and Greenhouse Gases, Lifecycle Assesment of Emissions and Sinks", EPA, http://www.epa.gov/nscep/, pp. 1-158.
- American Forest & Paper Association, 2010: "2010 AF&PA Community Survey Executive Summary", AF&PA, http://www.paperrecycles.org/news/exec_summ_2010. html.
- Container Recycling Institute, 2009: "Understanding economic and environmental impacts of single-stream collection systems", CRI, http://www.container-recycling.org/assets/pdfs/reports/2009-SingleStream.pdf, pp.1-35.
- Glass Packaging Institute, 2009:"Wasting and Recycling Trends, Conclusions from CRI's 2008 Beverage Market Data Analysis, GPI, pp. 1-16.
- American Chemistry Council, Plastic Division, 2009: "2008 National Post Consumer Recycled Plastic Bag and Film Report", ACC, pp. 1-15.
- National Association of PET Container Resources(NAPCOR), 2010: "2009 Report on Post Consumer PET Container Recycling Activity", NAPCOR, pp. 1-11.
- Kroger, 2010: "2009 Fact Book", Kroger, pp. 1-56.
- Rob van Haaren, Nickolas Themelis and Nora Goldstein, 2010: "The State of Garbage in America", Biocycle, Vol. 51, No. 10, p.16.
- U.S. Composting Council, 2010: "USCC Factsheet, composting, Global Climate Change and Carbon Trading", USCC, http://compostingcouncil.org/admin/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/composting-and-carbon-credits.pdf, pp.1-3.
- Review of Municipal Solid Waste Management in Turkey with a Particular Focus on Recycling of Plastics vol.113, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.04.031