- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of In Vitro Seedling Screening Method for Selection of Resistant Rice Against Bakanae Disease
벼 키다리병 저항성 검정을 위한 기내 유묘 검정법 개발
- Lee, Yong-Hwan (Knowledge and Information Officer Division, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Myeong-Ji (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Hyo-Won (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Sung-Taek (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Park, Jin-Woo (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Myung, Inn-Shik (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Park, Kyung-Seok (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Se-Weon (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Development Administration)
- 이용환 (농촌진흥청 기획조정관실) ;
- 이명지 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 최효원 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 김성택 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 박진우 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 명인식 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 박경석 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부) ;
- 이세원 (국립농업과학원 농업생물부)
- Received : 2011.11.16
- Accepted : 2011.11.28
- Published : 2011.12.31
Rice bakanae disease, caused by the fungus Fusarium fujikuroi, is one of the most important rice diseases and distributed widely in Asia. Resistance screening system in rice field had been established. However, the evaluation results of the system vary according to the environmental conditions when the test is conducted. To develop precise and rapid evaluation method of disease resistance of rice to bakanae disease, in vitro screening system was attempted in this study. The six cultivars namely, 'Nampyeongbyeo', 'Junambyeo', 'Chucheongbyeo', 'Samcheonbyeo', 'Odaebyeo' and 'Hwasinbyeo' were tested. They were planted onto MS agar medium (10 ml) in test tube (
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration
- Amoah, B. K., MacDonald, M. V., Rezanoor, H. N. and Nicholson, P. 1996. The use of random amplified polymorphic DNA technique to identify mating groups in the Fusarium Section Liseola. Plant Pathol. 45: 115-125. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3059.1996.d01-95.x
- Amoah, B. K., Rezanoor, H. N., Nicholson, P. and MacDonald, M. V. 1995. Variation in the Fusarium Section Liseola: pathogenicity and genetic studies of isolates of Fusarium moniliformae Sheldon from different hosts in Ghana. Plant Pathol. 44: 563-572. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3059.1995.tb01678.x
- Booth, C. 1971. The genus Fusarium. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew, Surrey, 221 pp.
- Desjardins, A. E., Plattner, R. D. and Nelson, P. E. 1997. Production of fumonisin B sub 1 and moniliformin by Gibberella fujikuroi from rice from various geographic areas. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63: 1838-1842.
- Gill, M. A., Yasin, S. I., Khan, T. Z., Ahsanullah, Q. and Butt, M. A. 1993. Evaluation of resistance to bakanae and foot rot disease. Int. Rice Res. Notes 18: 14-15.
- Han, S. 2007. Review of disease occurrence of major crops in Korea in 2007. Proc. Annu. Fall Meeting Symposium KSPP. pp. 19-20.
- Haque, M. A., Rahman, M. M. and Miah, S. A. 1979. A rapid method of screening rice varieties for resistance to bakanae disease in Bangladesh. Int. Rice Commission Newsletter (FAO) 28: 34-37.
- Hashioka, Y. 1952. Varietal resistance of rice to the 'Bakanae' disease. (Studies on pathological breeding of rice V.) Jpn. J. Breeding 1: 167-171. https://doi.org/10.1270/jsbbs1951.1.167
- Ito, S. and Kimura, J. 1931. Studies on Bakanae disease of the rice plant. Hokkaido Agri. Exp. Stn. 27: 1-95.
- Katayama, T. 1951. Studies on tillering of rice and barley (Ine.mugi no bungestsu kenkyu). Yokendo, Tokyo.
- Khokhar, L. K. 2002. Identification of sourcese of resistance against bakanae and foot rot disease in rice. Pakistan J. Agric. Res. 17: 176-177.
- Kim, C. 1981. Ecological studies of bakanae disease of rice, caused by Gibberella fujikuroi. Korean J. Plant Prot. 20: 146-151.
- Korea Crop Protection Association. 2011. Guideline for pesticide usage. pp. 288-292, 421.
- Lee, Y. H., Kim, S. Y., Choi H.-W., Lee, M.-J., Ra, D. S., Kim, I. S., Park, J. W. and Lee, S.-W. 2010. Fungicide resistance of Fusarium fujikuroi isolates isolated in Korea. Korean J. Pest Sci. 14: 427−432.
- Mohd Zainudin, N. A. I., Razak, A. A. and Salleh, B. 2008. Bakanae disease of rice in Malaysia and Indonesia: Etiology of the causal agent based on morphological, physiological and pathogenicity characteristics. J. Plant Prot. Res. 48: 475-485. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10045-008-0056-z
- Nirenberg, H. I. 1976. Untersuchungen uber die morphologische and biologische differenzierung in Fusarium-Sektion Liseola. Mitt. Biol. Vundesansi. Land-Forstwirtsch. Berlin-Dahlem 169: 107-117.
- O'Donnell, K., Cigelnik, E. and Nirenberg, H. 1998. Molecular systematics and phylogeography of the Gibberella fujikuroi species complex. Mycologia 90: 465-493. https://doi.org/10.2307/3761407
- Ou, S. H. 1985. Rice disease, 2nd ed. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew, Surrey, pp. 380.
- Park, W.-S., Choi, H.-W., Han, S.-S., Shin, D.-B., Shim, H.-K., Jung, E.-S., Lee, S.-W., Lim, C.-K. and Lee, Y. H. 2009. Control of Bakanae disease of rice by seed soaking into the mixed solution of procholraz and fludioxnil. Res. Plant Dis. 15: 94-100. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2009.15.2.094
- Park, W.-S., Yeh, Y.-H., Lee, S.-W., Han, S.-S., Lee, J.-S., Lim, C.-K. and Lee, Y. H. 2008. Electron microscopic study for the influence of soaking in hot water and prochloraz solution on spore and mycelium of Fusarium fujikuroi infected in rice seed. Res. Plant Dis. 14: 176-181. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2008.14.3.176
- Rajagopalan, K. 1961. Screening of rice varieties for resistance to foot-rot disease. Curr. Science 30: 145-147.
- Reyes, G. M. 1939. Rice disease and methods of control. Phillippine J. Agric. 10: 419-436.
- Snyder, W. C. and Hansen, H. N. 1945. The species concept in Fusarium with reference to Discolor and other sections. Am. J. Bot. 32: 657-666. https://doi.org/10.2307/2437621
- Sung, J. M., Yang, S. S. and Lee, E. J. 1984. Pathogenicity in nursery box and symptom appearance and yield damage in paddy field by each strain of Fusarium moniliforme. Korean J. Mycol. 12: 65−73.
- Thomas, K. M. 1933. The 'foot rot' of paddy and its control. Madras Agric. J. 21: 263-272.
- Yamanaka, S. and Honkura, R. 1978. Symptoms on rice seedlings inoculated with "Bakanae" disease fungus, Fusarium moniliforme Sheldon. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn. 44: 57-58. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.44.57
- Yeh, W.-H., Choi, H.-W., Kim, S.-A., Shim, H.-S. and Kim, Y.-K. 2005. Studies on ecology and control of rice bakanae disease. Agricultural Biology Research, NIAST, Korea. pp. 490-508. (In Korean)
- Development of an Efficient In Vitro Screening Method for Selection of Resistant Lily Cultivars Against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lilii vol.33, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2015.15085
- Mapping of qBK1, a major QTL for bakanae disease resistance in rice vol.35, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11032-015-0281-x
- Large-scale screening of rice accessions to evaluate resistance to bakanae disease vol.80, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10327-014-0528-0
- Bakanae Disease Reduction Effect by Use of Silicate Coated Seed in Wet Direct-Seeded Rice vol.61, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2016.61.1.009
- Identification of bakanae disease resistance loci in japonica rice through genome wide association study vol.10, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12284-017-0168-z
- Molecular mapping of qBK1WD, a major QTL for bakanae disease resistance in rice vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12284-017-0197-7
- Mapping of a major quantitative trait locus for bakanae disease resistance in rice by genome resequencing vol.293, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00438-017-1407-0