- Volume 12 Issue 12
The buckling strength of a pin-ended column may be increased significantly by reinforcing it with an assemblage of cross-arm members rigidly connected to the modpoint of the column and stayed members connecting the ends of the columns and cross-arm members. The purpose of the stays and cross-arm members is to introduce restraint against translation and rotation and thereby decrease the effective buckling length of the column. In this study, buckling strengths of the reinforced columns were quantitatively evaluated from analytical solutions and elastic/inelastic finite elements analysis and the results were compared each other. It was found that the reinforcing system may increase the buckling strength up to 8 times compared to ones without reinforcing system.
Buckling strength;Pin-ended column;Stayed member;Finite element analysis
- AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) Maual of steel construction, Load and Resistance Factor Design, Chicago, 2001.
- Bleich, F. Buckling strength of metal structures, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY. 1952.
- Timoshenko, S. P. and Gere, J. N. Theory of elastic stability, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY. 1961.
- Vlasov, V. Z. Thin-walled elastic beams, Israel program for scientific translations Ltd., Jerusalem. 1961.
- Chu, K. H., Berge, S. S. Analysis and design of struts with tension ties. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 89(ST1): 127-163. 1963.
- Mauch, H. R., Felton, L. P. Optimum design supported by tension ties. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 93(ST 3): 201-220. 1967.
- Smith, E. A. Behavior of columns with pretensioned stays. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 111(5): 961-72. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:5(961)
- Hafez, H. H., Temple, M. C., Ellis, J. S. Pretensioning of single-crossarm stayed columns. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 105(ST 2): 359-75. 1979.
- Hathout, I. A., Temple, M. C., Ellis, J. S. Buckling of space stayed columns. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 105(ST 9): 1805-22. 1979.
- Temple M. C. Buckling of stayed columns. Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 103(ST 4): 839-851. 1977.
- ABAQUS Inc. ABAQUS Analysis user's manual. Pawtucket RI. 2003.
- Pi Y-L, Bradford MA. Strength design of steel I-section beams curved in plane. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 127(6): 639-646. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(639)
- Kim, K and Yoo, C. H. Ultimate strengths of steel rectangular box beams subjected to combined action of bending and torsion. Engineering Structures, 30(2008): 1677-1687, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.11.011
Supported by : 청주대학교 산업과학연구소