- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Bahavior and Failure Mechanism of Soil Nailing Walls using Centrifuge Model Tests
원심모형실험을 이용한 소일네일링 벽체의 거동 및 파괴메카니즘에 관한 연구
- Kim, Young-Gil (Department of Civil Engineering, Hallym Polytechnic University)
- 김영길 (한림성심대학교 토목과)
- Received : 2011.10.27
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
Current design and analyzing methods about soil nailing structures, developed on the basis of results obtained from experiments in laboratory or in field and numerical analyses, have applied different interaction mechanisms between the reinforced nails and the surrounding ground, and different safety factors against failure have been obtained. They might be proper approaches if the assumptions about rigidity of nails and ground conditions are met with actual conditions occurred in field. Otherwise, they would result in designing on analyzing in inappropriate ways so that it is needed to evaluate the validity of them. Therefore, in this research using the Centrifugal Model Testing, numerical parameters experiments about soil nailing structures' behavior and failure mechanism were performed. In the numerical parameters experiments, transmuted nail's length, setting angle, nail's front panel, stiffness variously, and increased the level of gravity until wall model was destroyed. Based on experimental results, we compared the effect, failure mechanism caused from parameters changes. By reviewing and comparing centrifugal model test results and methods currently in use, verified validity of existing methods.
Soil nailing wall;G-level;Parametric centrifuge model tests;Selfweight test
- Corte, J., F., "Design of Geotechnical Centrifuge", Proc. of the International Conference on Geotechnical Centrifuge Modelling, Paris, 25-27, April, 1988.
- Hong Taek Kim, et al, "Design of Cone Nailing System Applied Permanent Slope", KSCE, Vol 2006 No 10, 2006.
- Juran, I., Baudrand, G., Farrag, K. & Elias, V., "Kinematical Limit Analysis for Design of Soil-Nailed Structures", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 116, No. 1, pp. 54-72, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1990)116:1(54)
- Juran, I., Schlosser, F., Shaffiee, S., Humbert, P. & Guenot, A., "Study of Soil-Bar Interaction in the Technique of Soil Nailing", Proc. of the 8th European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering : Improvement of Ground, Helsinki, May 23-26 Vol. 2, pp. 513-516, 1983.
- Ko, H. Y. & Sture, S., "State of Art : Data Reduction and Application for Analytical Modeling" Laboratory Shear Strength of Soil, ASTM, STP 740 ASCE, pp. 329-386, 1981.
- Leung, C. F., Lee, F. H. & Tan, T. S., "Keynote Lecture and VELACS Report", Proc. of the International Conference Centrifuge 94, Singapore/31 August-2 September, 1994.
- Nam Jae Yoo, "Installation of Centrifuge Model Testing Apparatus in the Kangwon National University", KSCE, Vol 1994 No 1, 1994.
- Schlosser, F., "Analogies et differences dans le Comportement et le calcul des Ouvrages de Soutenement en Terre armee et par Clouage du Sol", Annales de L' Institut Technique de Batiment et des Travaux Publiques, No. 148, pp. 26-38, 1983.
- Shen, C. K., Bang, S. & Herrmann, L. R., "Ground Movement Analysis of Earth Support System", ASCE, Vol. 107, GT12, pp. 1610-1624, 1981 a.
- Stocker, M. F., Korber, G. W., Gassler G. & Gudehus G., "Soil Nailing", Int. Conf. on Soil Reinforcement, Paris, France, 2, pp. 469-474, 1979.
- Yang, Y., "Application of computational method for soil-nailing walls", ROCK AND SOIL MECHANICS-WUHAN-, Vol. 30, No. 11., 2009.
- Vesic, A.S., and Clough, G. W., "Behavior of Granular materials under high pressure", Jourl. Soil Mech. and Found. Div. ASCE, pp. 661-688, 1968.
- Bang, S., "Analysis and Design of Lateral Earth Support System", Ph. D. Thesis, University of California, Davis, 1979.
- Do Seop Lee, "Stability Analysis and Application of the Post-tensioned Removable Soil Nailing System", pp. 15-22, Hongik University, 2004.
- Joon Seok Kim, "Development of Analysis and Design Method for Nailed Earth Structures by Discrete Element Method", Ph. D Thesis, KAIST, 1996.