- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study of Green Compact City Planning Strategies - Focused on Ulaanbaatar city in Mongolia
그린 컴팩트 시티 계획전략에 관한 연구 - 몽골의 울란바타르시를 중심으로
- Received : 2011.11.23
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
The purpose of this study is to discourage urban sprawl that optimize the use of natural resources and reduce demand for transportation, energy consumption, and also protect green and blue networks. For this purpose, this study discusses about the Sustainable Development (SD), urban systems toward SD and defines the concepts and the goals of Green Compact City (GCC). It then finds out the basic planning strategies to agree with GCC. Based on these strategies, it reviews the foreign case study, to obtain a mainly significance development of these planning strategies. As well as then conducts a questionnaire survey to experts and residents of Ulaanbaatar (UB) city to obtain a better understanding of the current condition and the most significant planning strategies in UB city. Therefore the basic planning strategies which can more suits in UB city and it could be the GCC is derived from the most complied planning strategies in other developed countries compared with most significant planning strategies in UB city.
Sustainable Development;Green Compact City;Ulaanbaatar city;planning strategies
- HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government), Sustainable Development, published by Sustainable Development Unit, Administration Wing, page 5, April 2002.
- TRKC (Transport Research Knowledge Center), Ecocity, Urban Development towards Appropriate Structures for Sustainable Transport, 2002-2005. Available at: www.transport-research.info
- HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government), Sustainable Development, published by Sustainable Development Unit, Administration Wing, page 7, April 2002.
- ADB (Asian Development Bank), Country Synthesis Report on Urban Air Quality Management: Mongolia, Discussion Draft, December, 2006.
- WCED (World Commission on Environment and Development), Our Common Future, Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, note 3 above, page 8, 1987.
- Naess P, Tano Aschehoug, Oslo, Physical Planning and Energy Use, 1997.
- Joshua Arbury, From Urban Sprawl to Compact City, An analysis of urban growth management in Auckland, 2005.
- Breheny M, Sustainable Development and Urban Form, An Introduction, In: Sustainable Development and Urban Form, Pion, London, 1992.
- Frey, H. Designing the City, Towards a More Sustainable Form, E&FN Spon, page 25 for a supplementary list, 1999.
- Seungil Lee, Reconnaissances of Environmentally Sustainable Urban Structure, International Journal of Urban Science, 7(2), 148-168, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/12265934.2003.9693533
- Newman P and Kenworthy J, Gasoline Consumption and Cities, A Comparison of US Cities with a Global Survey, Journal of American Planning Association, 1989.
- CEC, Green Paper on the Urban Environment, Commission of the European Communities, European Commission, Brussels, 1990.
- Erling Holden, Ecological footprint and sustainable urban form, Journal of Housing and the Built Environment 19: 91-109, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOHO.0000017708.98013.cb
- Deog-Seong Oh et al, Daejeon Metropolitan City, The Strategy of Daejeon Green City for Low Carbon Green Growth, 2010.
- Philine Gaffron, Ge Huismans, Franz Skala, Ecocity, Urban Development towards Appropriate Structure, Umbertide Ecocity project, page 18, 2002-2005.
- Council of the City of Sydney for public exhibition and comment, Sustainable Sydney 2030 project, City of Sydney Strategic Plan Final Consultation Draft, 2008.
- Philine Gaffron, Ge Huismans, Franz Skala, Ecocity, Urban Development towards Appropriate Structure, Umbertide Ecocity project, page 55, 2002-2005.
- Glashus Ett, Hammarby Sjoostad-a unique environmental project, 2007. Available at: www.hammarbysjostad.se
- Philine Gaffron, Ge Huismans, Franz Skala, Ecocity, Urban Development towards Appropriate Structure, Gyor Ecocity project, page 79, 2002-2005.
- NSO (National Statistics Office), Statistical Compilation of Mongolia, 2008. Available at: www.nso.mn
- NSO (National Statistics Office), Statistical Compilation of Mongolia, 2009. Available at: www.nso.mn
- Information technology agency, Ulaanbaatar capital of Mongolia, 2010. Available at: www.ulaanbaatar.mn
- B.Chinbat, Investigation of the internal structure changes of UB city using RS and GIS, 2006.
- Fink A & Kosecoff J, How to conduct surveys: a step by step guide, 2nd education, Sage, Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA, 1998.