- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
User Interface Design Model for Improving Visual Cohesion
가시적 응집도 향상을 위한 사용자 인터페이스 설계 모델
- Park, In-Cheol (Division of Computer.Game, Howon University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Mog (Division of Computer Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.10.12
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
As application development environment changes rapidly, importance of user interface design is increasing. Usually, most of designers are clustering by subjective method of individual to define objects that have relativity in design interface. But, interface which is designed without particular rules just adds inefficiency and complexity of business to user who use this system. Therefore, in this paper, we propose an object oriented design model that allows for flexible development by formalizing the user interface prototype in any GUI environment. The visual cohesion of the user interface is a new set of criteria which has been studied in relation to the user interface contents, and is founded on the basis of the cohesion of the interface as defined using basic software engineering concepts. The visual cohesion includes the issue of how each unit is arranged and grouped, as well as the cohesion of the business events which appear in the programming unit. The interface will become easier to understand and use if the business events are grouped by their inter-relevance within the user interface.
User interface;Business event;Interface prototype;Object grouping;Desgin model
Supported by : Howon University
- Garcia, E., Sicilia, M.A., Gonzalez, L., Hilera, J.R., "Dialogue-Based Design of Web Usability Question naires Using Ontologies", Computer-Aided Design of User Interfaces, pp. 131-144, 2005.
- Dix A., "Design of User Interface for Web", Proceedings, User Interface to Data Intensive System, pp. 2-11, 1999.
- Constantine L.L., Biddle R., and Noble J., "Usage-centered Design Engineering: Models for Integration", IFIP international conference on software engineering, pp. 106-113, 2003.
- Leszek A. Maciazek, "Requirements Analysis and System Design", Addison Wesley, pp. 244-270, 2001.
- H. Balzert, "From OOA to GUIs: The Janus System", IEEE Software, Vol. 8, No 9, pp. 43-47, February 1996.
- F. Bodart, A.-M. Hennebert, J.-M. Leheureux, I. Provot, and J. Vanderdonckt, "A Model-based Approach to Presentation: A Continuum from Task Analysis to Prototype", Proceedings of the Eurographics Workshop on Design, Specification, Verification of Interactive Systems, Carrara, Italy, Focus on Computer Graphics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp.77-94, June 1994.
- M. Elkoutbi, I.Khriss, and R.K.Keller, "Generating User Interface Prototypes from Scenarios", Proc. of the 4th IEEE International Symposium on Requirements Engineering, pp. 150-158, 1999.
- Nerurkar U., "Web User Interface Design, Forgotten Lessons", IEEE Software, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 69-71, Nov.-Dec. 2002.
- Chidamber S. and Kemerer C., "A Metrics Suite for Objected-Oriented Design", IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 476-493, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.295895
- Constantine, L. L. "Visual Coherence and Usability: A Cohesion Metric for Assessing the Quality of Dialogue and Screen Designs", Proceedings, Sixth Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1996.
- W. K. Park, "Design and implementation of SOA based S/W services for dynamic behavior of embedded System", Journal of The Institute of Webcasting, Internet and Telecommunication, Vol 10, No 4, pp. 29-34, 2010.